• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creating a program that polls a website...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

Hey all, I'm trying to create a very unique and seemingly odd program.

Basically what I want to do is create a program which polls a website frequently (every 15 minutes or so) and analyses the content (which is ever changing). If there is a change, it will send out a notice (via email, or perhaps even va text message) to alert me.

I have a strong knowledge of computers, but limited programming (I have 2 semesters of java programming, learned Q basic, and worked extensively with mathlab/mathcad). I basicaly need the beginning building blocks and can work on sorting things out once I have a shell, but getting the shell I have no idea where to go. I've never created a program from scratch really that just launches (except with java and SDK environments a long time ago).

Does anyone have any good starting references?

Thanks,
Aaron

"Beautiful Soup" python module for checking the website, and how you want to be notified would be a big factor in what programming language / plugin you would want to use for that bit.

That IFTTT is exactly what I'm looking for but it needs to access HTML and more of a customizable search.

I seem to have hit a wall anyway as the website no longer is updating for some reason.

Back