• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did i rush or should i have waited?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yea iv been considering having ago at de lidding it, its really tempting, jus weighing up whether my clumsiness will get in the way lol..

There is more than one way to skin a cat. The razorblade method does have its risk; scratching the PCB, slipping and nicking the DIE...

There is a better method. The hammer method! No, really. Takes a hammer, vise, and a block of wood, (bit of pine 2x4 or similar). The vise needs to have a nice clean flat square top edge. It needs to be able to grab the edge of the IHS that is furthest from the PCB solidly without having to crank down hard on it (you don't want to deform the IHS). The chip will be horizontal, the PCB side UP above the vise. Take the 2x4 and place it flush against the side of the PCB and give the wood a few solid, but not very hard, wacks with the hammer. Should take 3 or 4 hits, watching the PCB for movement. This will break the glue and you are done.

A quick search should pull up multiple videos on Youtube. I'm helping my brother build a rig right now, and will be using this method once we've tested the chip out.

My brother also was wondering about Haswell, and I advised that I have no idea how well it will OC but I know we can get good gains with IVY. Besides, it will cost more I am sure, and he will get more performance putting that money into a better video card (he's going to game with it and bought a 4gb 680). With a half decent chip, we should be able to get it to 4.6~4.8 delidded using Liquid Ultra and AIO water. It should last him at least a few years (he's using an AMD FX60 so yea he will be happy with a 3770k.)

Back