• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Great Chimp Challenge Race for 2013

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I see, I had started to see the wingman term in their forums. Well I hope I get a new wingman soon as we are pretty poorly balanced right now!

By the sound of it ideally a WU gets tackled by 2 people only, unless they both return a different figure resulting in Inconclusive which pulls in a 3rd person to test it for best of 3

Sounds like a fairly good system which I also guess tries to auto balance wingman matchmaking - making fast returns of work very important in this project to keep things flowing smoothly!

Meaning it would be Best if all us visiting folders complete ALL our WU's we have received before finishing up here and going on to help our Rosetta friends :)

Thanks for the reply btw ~_^

I was kinda guessing that, certainly seems so for my CPU WUs. But my GPU WU's are rather starting to build up in the validation queue and I was starting to wonder if I had just the one WingMan there... just the way of things I guess.

Cheers again!

ooh, just got an AstroPulse WU for my CPU - going to take close to 24 hours in all.
Should produce an interesting number at the end for my points maybe :)

Has the SETI project found much worthy of some good curiosity yet ?

A few years back many participants got notified that their computer had discovered a statistically interesting signal. Those locations were then scheduled for re-observation by the radio telescope. I have not been actively following the discussion at the Berkeley forums for some time, so I cannot report on any recent news.

The problem with SETI on the science front, is that our Milky Way galaxy is flat - sort of like a pancake shape. So everything in the MW that we'd like to get/give signals to/from, is pretty well blocked by the large amount of dust and ionized gases and debris. All of these help to either block or attenuate a radio signal, into garbage.

Which leaves us with good communications only with other galaxies (like those in the Near Group, say), but they're SO VERY FAR away - and getting farther at an ever increasing rate - that the chance of getting a radio signal to/from them is zero, as far as we have developed RF science. There's always the hope that an astronaut or satellite from another world would happen to be in our part of the MW, and would be close enough to receive/send RF to us, but that's about the only shot we'd have of it working, as far as finding an alien life. Years ago, we thought that the Pulsars in space, were possibly "light houses" to other intelligent (more advanced), alien life, and that the universe was a lot smaller than it is.

Now we know neither is true, and even Hawking has expressed concern that we would not be smart to contact a more advanced life form, lest they take away our planet, since it appears to be quite rare.

The best thing about SETI imo, is how it's helped refine the whole distributed computing projects world, and introduced so many people to d/c projects. And of course, it was the spur to develop BOINC, which is the wonderful "glue" for so many different d/l projects.

Back