• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wattage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoD_tattoo

According to my Eaton 9130, this is what one of my 3930K machines with 2x 7970's is using...Ouch

WATT.JPG

That does sound a little excessive even for that setup.

Are the GFx cards OC'd ?

From experience tweaking my setup I found reaching the higher levels of an OC with CPU or my 7950 pulls a Lot More power.

Going for a Slightly milder OC resulted in good speed at a much reduced power pull.

Pushing the power up for me pulls 535watts without even being overly excessive with voltages.
Finding a nice balance pulls 360watts

My 7950 starts to pull quite a lot more power rising sharply when the GPU volts start going over 1.120

I notice a lot of folks whack their CPU up to 4.5GHz and just pile heaps of vcore like there is no tomorrow especially those with water cooler maybe even using 1.4vcore+ without even testing whats needed.
My CPU is a very early sample and seems to want lots of volts for higher speeds. 1.312vcore (folding temp 78c) for only 4GHz (not stable at 1.28)
Yet 3.8GHz is stable @ 1.15 vcore (folding temp 61c)
Not tried going much higher yet due to expecting it to want even more vcore (+ more heat than I want to try to keep in check) to remain stable -.-
More modern CPU's should be able to get to nice speeds with much less volts :)

Just have a play to find the sweet spot for you if you want to reduce your power consumption for any reasons.

EDIT:
The temps are once my closed room has warmed to a nice cozy temperature for winter.

Those wattage figures include:
24" LED screen - 22w
Technics amplifier - 25w

Last edited:
I'm at 4.5ghz at 1.4vcore, but it needs it for folding. I was less than that, but found out quickly that folding required a bit more juice to stay stable. Thats also including 2 22" monitors, and a 24" monitor on the 9130. I am not concerned how much power it was using, just wanted to see if others were using anything to measure. Not even sure how accurate this thing is.

my 2500k @ 4.9ghz and 6950 @ 6970 speeds pulls just over 400w from the wall... thats the tower only.

and my dual xeons pull about 250w full load

Last edited:
It won't be far off, each GP will be using over 200w, maybe 250w, and the CPU will pull at least 130w, add drives, fans, ram and mobo and you could be close.

As a reference point, 2 8 core xeon's running on a Asus workstation mobo, 16gb Ram, 1 HDD and 4 case fans pulls 248w from the wall.

Yeah I remember you introducing yourself a while back talking about power not being an issue ;)

Those extra screens may well pull 40 watts each and would account for the indicated power draw when included with the higher OCing volts used.
Not all chips need 1.4v (did a little more reading, seems quite a few manage 1.3 to 1.35 for 4.5GHz - less than 1.3 vcore is lucky, but there are a lot of folks with 1.4v for a stable OC) for 4.5GHz, would be considered fairly high volts for that chip, but it is a nice speed and the QRB can make it very worthwhile.
- My Xeon @ 4GHz (Very similar to your chip) pulls about the same PPD as a system running two of these chips at stock speeds (2.6GHz).

Lately I am getting a LOT of project 7809 which gives me about dead on 30K PPD for SMP folding.
Its a fairly average WU being not too good and not so bad. Not been seeing any of the sweet WU's for a little over a month now.

Overall that power figure sounds close to about right now.

Last edited:
I believe it. When I had an i7 970 and dual 570s I was easily able to pull 800w, with a bit of an oc on the cards I was at my psu's limit where it would trip and reboot. With my current setup running at 4500mhz with the gpu at 940/1200 I can hit around 700-750w give or take a few

When I had my 3930k up @1.45v (too much) @5GHz, the CPU alone was pulling over 500w. :(

Before I replaced my PSU I saw 1100w at the wall, CPU (folding) and both ATI 6970's @1.3v 1050MHz running furmark.

These processors are HUNGRY.

Back