• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chimp Challenge 2013 - A Call to Arms - All Aboard the USS Poo Flinger

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll probably have to pick one of your brains guys. I can't seem to get Linux to fold with GPUs. Can someone shed some light here? Although there's no problem, I can fold on Windows 8. I'm able to deal with the massive disaster that not upgrading my Linux system for a long time will cause.

I could use forum threads / blogs / manpages... it just seems my Google-fu isn't strong enough to find useful info.

Thanks in advance guys!

As far as I'm aware, there is still no way to run GPU's with any linux distro at this point... there might be some beta units that will fold with certain cards that I'm unaware of, but everyone who has a CPU/GPU running with a Linux distro that I've seen is really just running a VM for the CPU and runs the GPU within Windows....

I've read something regarding GPUs under Linux that uses Wine and some special CUDA libraries to get them to fold. The performance is even better than Windows from what I've read. But all the links to those libraries/DLLs seem to be down. And there's no AUR package that I know of that has these. There is a folding at home GPU package but IIRC it was long dead. Will look at it tomorrow.

As far as I'm aware, there is still no way to run GPU's with any linux distro at this point... there might be some beta units that will fold with certain cards that I'm unaware of, but everyone who has a CPU/GPU running with a Linux distro that I've seen is really just running a VM for the CPU and runs the GPU within Windows....

Sure you can - I've done it. :clap:

This was done with Ubuntu 64 bit Desktop, same as what you use for Linux folding, and wine. Not all versions of Ubuntu will do it however, without some configuration of a library.

Sadly, when the card died, I moved on, and haven't done it in a few years. But it probably can still be done.

There was no VM or Windows on the PC - all native Ubuntu.

What version of Ubuntu are you running Txus?

@Boosted98gsx: Glad to have you with us for the race! :thup:

@kyfire: Thanks! :D

I'm in, I hope it will be as exiting as last year :) I'll trow in couple of i5's with my FX. I do have a remote access to thousands of i5's, I wonder... :D

Please don't put FAH onto computers you don't have permission to fold on. We've seen really bad results from that, over the years, and Stanford takes a very dim view of it as well.

It'll be tougher, for sure. EVGA has really gotten stronger over the past year. Currently, they are outfolding [H], by 3-5 million ppd, and is scheduled to pass [H] in late Summer.

That also means that [H] members are mostly working to save their #1 team ranking, and will NOT be volunteering to help us, win this year.

We have definitely gotten stronger since last year, but will it be enough?

Please don't put FAH onto computers you don't have permission to fold on. We've seen really bad results from that, over the years, and Stanford takes a very dim view of it as well.

Yeah, it's really not even something I would trust doing on any system that was provided by the same company that wrote my paychecks, even if I got permission from someone above me in the chain of command. Unless you talk to the head of the technology department, odds are the person giving the OK doesn't have any clue how much power a system running flat-out around the clock uses, or the cost it will add to the monthly overhead to do business. If at some point there is ever a question by anyone in management not aware of the situation already about why turning the lights on has become twice as costly over the past two months, fingers are going to point in every direction and likely land on the person who had the idea to start.

I learned this when I was on the state board for a non-profit back in high school while working almost full-time with my first insurance office. Got the ok to come in a couple of weekends and make copies and printer mailing labels for fundraising projects with my own stationary... even though I'd asked my manager, the business owner was pretty ticked off about it. That's a little more obvious (I was 18, give me some slack)- but I realized it's always a risk unless the person who gives the OK is the one who has nobody to answer to themselves. There are lots of sad stories from other folders who have got burned and lost jobs if you google.... :(

It'll be tougher, for sure. EVGA has really gotten stronger over the past year. Currently, they are outfolding [H], by 3-5 million ppd, and is scheduled to pass [H] in late Summer.

That also means that [H] members are mostly working to save their #1 team ranking, and will NOT be volunteering to help us, win this year.

We have definitely gotten stronger since last year, but will it be enough?

It's just a funny thought, city's computers crunching in CC. I wouldn't actually dare to do that.

But I'm still in with FX-8350, 2 x i5 2500 and 4 x i5 3570.

It's just a funny thought, city's computers crunching in CC. I wouldn't actually dare to do that.

It has been done several times before - especially in businesses and schools. In very rare cases, the perp actually had his FAH points zero'd out by Stanford FAH.

Another thing you DON'T WANT TO DO, is hold onto finished work units. A couple of teams have done that, so they could send them all in at once, in a kind of FAH folding party.

Vijay Pande (FAH's head man), was LIVID, and threatened to zero out the entire team's points if they ever did it again!!

But I'm still in with FX-8350, 2 x i5 2500 and 4 x i5 3570.

Great having you race with us! :cool:

ALL ABOARD!!!
ONLY 4 DAY TO DEPARTURE!!
STORE YOUR BELONGINGS AND BEGIN SHIP PREPARATION!!

:salute: :salute: :salute:

just updated my clients to 7.3.6 saw an instant increase in ppd :)

Not too thrilled with what happened when I tried to use the newest Nvidia driver for my GT 620 after switching it to another rig.... it started folding and out of nowhere got to 100c as soon as it was under load. :confused: Any ideas what the heck just happened? It seems fine running just the display for the machine.

I'm glad I checked GPU-Z or I may have set fire to my best setup. :shock:

Is the GPU fan controlled automatically or have you it set manually? I remember one time nvidia released a bad driver that caused the deaths of many cards as it caused the cards to over heat. Maybe try a slightly older driver or just sent the fan speed manually.

Back