• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Questions about my overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

codyoverclock

Hey I recently overclocked my i7 3770k to 4.4ghz with 1.170 for the voltage in the bios. I want to try to get to 4.5ghz but I have some questions. In Cpu-z it shows that my voltage is about 1.2 max on 4.4. I've heard that when running windows you'll use more voltage than what you specified. So is that whats going on?

Another question I have is when I'm at idle cpu-z show 4.4ghz but when I run prime95 it only gets up to about 4.2ghz. Is that normal, does it just not use the full 4.4ghz?

Thanks any suggestions or answers are appreciated, I just don'w wanna put to much voltage in my i7.

I've included a screen shot at idle and 1 running prime95. (sorry if I wasn't suppose to put them as a attachment)

Attachments

• overclock.png
    overclock.png
    907.7 KB · Views: 44
  • overclock2.png
    overclock2.png
    540.1 KB · Views: 51
What's the model of board, and did you select one of the overclocking presets in the UEFI? If not, then what specific settings did you change to arrive at 4.4GHz?

What's the model of board, and did you select one of the overclocking presets in the UEFI? If not, then what specific settings did you change to arrive at 4.4GHz?

Its an Intel BOXDZ77RE-75K and no I'm doing it manually. I'm currently running prime95 and have the voltage to 1.195 and have each of the 4 cores at 45, there doesn't seem to be a way to change the muliplier other than that. I have an option to change what speed it runs at all the time not just in turbo-boost. Should I change this?

I know that w/ the P67 versions of the Intel boards (67BG for example), the Max Non-Turbo Ratio couldn't be increased beyond the default multiplier, although it could be reduced. The only overclocking options were the multipliers (Turbo ratios) used for the cores in Turbo Boost mode, and I'm pretty sure the same applies to the Z77 series of Intel boards too. You might want to try one of the Over-Clocking Assistant presets, which besides adjusting the Turbo ratios also auto-adjusts power limits, voltage offsets, etc. These are the adjustments the Assistant makes using the 4.5GHz preset...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I know that w/ the P67 versions of the Intel boards (67BG for example), the Max Non-Turbo Ratio couldn't be increased beyond the default multiplier, although it could be reduced. The only overclocking options were the multipliers (Turbo ratios) used for the cores in Turbo Boost mode, and I'm pretty sure the same applies to the Z77 series of Intel boards too. You might want to try one of the Over-Clocking Assistant presets, which besides adjusting the Turbo ratios also auto-adjusts power limits, voltage offsets, etc. These are the adjustments the Assistant makes using the 4.5GHz preset...

Yeah I just feel like it's using to much voltage and running way to hot when I use the presets. So are you saying that if I just change the multipliers on the Turbo ratios its not a true overclock? Also what if I did change the maximum non turbo ratio. Would that be closer to what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

Back