• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom ii X6 1045T (non BE) OC opinion ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trent.

Hi

I'd like to have your opinion/advice/suggestions about this, looks stable, +1Ghz OC :
cpuz-cpu.JPG cpuz-mem.JPG cpuz-mobo.JPG cpuz-spd.JPG

Temps after 30min of "blend" Prime95 test (with no error):
HWMonitor.jpg

Thanks to overclockers.com site and community from who i learned a lot

thanks !
i'm with +0.050v on cpu , i think i've almost reached the limit for the temps? (cpu cooler is COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 120mm)

trent., how have you tested this overclock for stability? Will it pass at least 2 hr. of Prime95 blend?

trent., how have you tested this overclock for stability? Will it pass at least 2 hr. of Prime95 blend?
+1

when I first saw the OP's name I was slightly confused :)

trents, sorry for the nickname confusion ;) no you don't lose memory
ok i'll run 2hrs Prime95. If errors, how much can i overvolt cpu ? (i'm now with +0.050v cpu and +0.025 NB vid)

You still have some headroom when it comes to voltage. Temperature will probably be your limiting factor. Just stay under 70 on the CPU and 60 on the core.

So was I! I know I'm not getting any younger but for the life of me I couldn't remember starting this thread. It kind of scared me.
Now that made me laugh Trents! :thup:

Trent, looking at your temps a lot of us hove found that by putting a fan on the backside of the motherboard/ right side door, can help the Cpu temps. You should add your case and psu to your signature so we can see the full system. Looking at your voltages, you will probably run out of temperature headroom before you have to worry about your voltages being too high.

That's a nice OC. Maybe with some fine tuning you can even get a little bit more. I suggest lowering your multi on the HT to get it back to ~2000mhz. There is no real benefit from overclocking it past the stock speeds.. but with NB overclocking you will see lots of improvements in overall system performance. Temps look good so far!

"trent." there is one thing that is seldom if ever spoken of in this forum section. That thing; that us that have overclocked for a couple decades now, that is in general we "never" run our systems at the Max speed we might attain. Even if that speed might be assumed P95 Blend stable. Those of us in that been there and done that and have T-shirts to show it, we just don't run flat-out. We give ourselves a little cushion by reducing our overclock a 100Mhz or so.

I can Prime my FX-8350 at over 5.0Ghz but my normal 24/7 use is 4.4Ghz or so. In normal usage I am not finding 4.4Ghz to give me enough of a real work use increase so I am considering backing down to even 4.0Ghz. Remember that I can get P95 stable at 5.0Ghz or so. I do video edditing at 4.8Ghz which is still under my 5.0Ghz settings.

So what I am saying is that always looking for more speed is okay, but for those of us that have done this for years, our Max is never our everyday speed. At 3.75Ghz and that very good Vcore voltage coupled with pretty good temps...wonder if more is just worth it. When it gets down to those last few Mhz the effort most often increases exponentiallly. Just a thought.
RGone...

Now that made me laugh Trents! :thup:

Trent, looking at your temps a lot of us hove found that by putting a fan on the backside of the motherboard/ right side door, can help the Cpu temps. You should add your case and psu to your signature so we can see the full system. Looking at your voltages, you will probably run out of temperature headroom before you have to worry about your voltages being too high.

I'm glad it made you laugh, Drake. Laughter is still good for the soul, especially if you can laugh at yourself.

RGone, yes i don't look for the very optimal OC, 3.75Ghz looks fine for this cpu as you said, not too much overvoltage
and pretty good temps, this is just fine for me.
I don't want to add more fan, i'm just lookin for a fine stable OC for every day use.

storm-chaser, i was wondering if HT is too high, so thanks for your answer.
I have few questions about this:
As you can see CPU NB Freq. and HT Link freq. are set to Auto in the bios (it's an old screenshot, i'm now on fsb@300) :
IMAG0169.jpg
HT Link freq. maximum selectable value is 2Ghz, but here comes problems, when i select it, computer restarts in bios safemode
so which parameter do i have to modify ?
Correct me if i'm wrong, Thuban like to have HT link and NB freq running at same speed

trents, i never laugh about myself, i'm french you know ;)

Last edited:
According to your initial posts your HT and NB are at 2400. When was that BIOS shot taken. According to it your CPU freq is at 270 when the CPU-z reports it as 300. Check your speeds with CPU-z again to see what it's running in Windows.
But your NB should be able to reach 26 to 2800 with some voltage increase to the CPU_NB.

it's an old screenshot, i'm now on fsb@300 like shown in the 1st post

Like I said it looks like youe HT is at 2400 from the CPU=z shots. If you put the NB in manual and drop the multi to x9 you'd be aroun 2700 but would likely need a voltage increase to 1.25 - 1.3. I don't have a Thuban but I've never found it necessary to keep the HT and NB at the same frequency. Personally I prefer my HT a step behind. I would set the HT on manual and a x8 multi. That puts it at 2400 which is where it is running ATM. Then when you have it stable with the higher NB you can increase it if you want. When you set it to 2000 it was probably too slow that's why it was crashing.

Thuban's are slightly different than Phenom's and BD's/PD's regarding HT/NP: best stability is achieved by matching both these frequencies.

EDIT: I meant "Deneb's", not "Phenom's".

Last edited:
storm-chaser, i was wondering if HT is too high, so thanks for your answer.
I have few questions about this:
As you can see CPU NB Freq. and HT Link freq. are set to Auto in the bios (it's an old screenshot, i'm now on fsb@300) :
View attachment 126222
HT Link freq. maximum selectable value is 2Ghz, but here comes problems, when i select it, computer restarts in bios safemode
so which parameter do i have to modify ?
Correct me if i'm wrong, Thuban like to have HT link and NB freq running at same speed
Okay, so just a little more fine tuning and you should be all set. The HT link is behaving that way in the bios because the HT link may not be set to a higher speed than the NB clock. You will need to calculate the proper HT link speed, given your 300mhz FSB, since it sounds like the HT link speed options in the bios are assumed with the default 200mhz FSB (which is why it was reporting as 2.0ghz for maximum selectable value, but in reality was higher than that), and then select the proper HT multiplier to get it down and as close as possible to stock speeds. As Johan mentioned, if you can set both HT and NB multipliers to manual that would be ideal. The HT link should be as close to 2000mhz as possible, sure you can run it at 2400 but why? There is zero real performance gain and besides you may need to plug in more voltage to get it stable, and again, no real purpose. Then shift your focus to the NB and see what you get because it really will amp up your memory subsystem the higher you clock it. I would try for 2700mhz, and then maybe even 3000mhz. Trust me you will not be disappointed. Add a little more voltage to your CPU-NB as you increase speed.

Thuban's are slightly different than Phenom's and BD's/PD's regarding HT/NP: best stability is achieved by matching both these frequencies.

EDIT: I meant "Deneb's", not "Phenom's".

Manu2b,
The "Phenom II" platform you speak of does not require matched HT and NB frequencies for best stability. Just that the HT link cannot run higher than that of the NB. Countless folks run 24/7 on these cpus with the HT around 2000 and the NB at 2800-3000. No issues whatsoever.

Back