• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x850 xl pe volt mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuickFast

I ran out of VR's that i could use for the VDD is there a way to calculate what fix resistor to use looking to raise the volts .3-.4 volts

VDD=2.08 volts at .99k ohms

What you have there is a voltage divider. I'm going to be a pain in the rear and make you do your own work, because that way you'll be able to do it in the future :D

If you aren't familiar with voltage dividers, start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

The long and short of it is that you have a voltage that comes in, via a resistor, you have the read point in the middle, and then you have a resistor connecting to ground.
The output voltage is calculated by this equation(R1 is from the voltage source to read, R2 is read to ground):
vOut = R2 / (R1+R2) * vIn.
Given a source voltage of 2v and two 1k resistors, you have: vOut = 1000 / (1000+1000) * 2. vOut = 1.

Now that we've done the voltage divider bit, here's how the card is wired!
There's a resistor connecting the FB pin to vGPU, that's the voltage source.
There's a resistor connecting the FB pin to GND.
vOut goes into the FB pin, depending on the controller the voltage it is looking for will be different, let's pretend it's 0.7v for this example. It probably isn't on that card. Let's use 2v for vGPU (or vRAM, or vWhatever).
We know the GND side is 0.99kOhms, let's call it 1k for giggles.
As we know three variables, we can compute the high side (voltage source) resistor. It's 1.86kOhms. (I recommend cheating on the calculation).

If the FB pin sees a voltage lower than 0.7v, the controller raises the voltage applied to vCore, until the FB pin sees 0.7v. If it sees more than 0.7v it lowers the output voltage to vCore. It does this on a continual basis, once per PWM clock cycle. (Essentially)

Continuing to the voltmod part, what we do on a voltmod is lower the resistance to ground, changing the voltage divider. If we change it so that in theory the FB pin sees 10% less voltage, it will raise vCore 10% to compensate.
In the above example that means we want to change the low side resistor so that the FB pin sees 0.63v. Going through the calculations that means we need to have 0.86kOhms (860ohms) on the low side.
We have two choices, we can either remove the 1k low side resistor and solder on an 860ohm resistor, or we can add a resistor that drops the resistance to 860ohms. To do this we add a second resistor in parallel, I strongly recommend cheating on the calculation.
According to the above cheating link, a 6.2kOhm resistor in parallel with the 1kOhm resistor will result in 861Ohms. Now we have our 10% higher voltage!

We don't actually need to know what voltage the FB pin is looking for, we just need to raise it, whatever it is, X amount. For the calculators to work happily we need to know the high side resistor however, so measure from the FB pin to vGPU (or whatever). That'll give you the high side resistance, and you're off to the races!

So, give it a shot and let me know what you come up with (and what the high side resistance is) and I'll double-check it for you and off you go!

(With a VR of course you can vary the resistor you're putting in parallel with the low side, making it rather easier to find a 6.2kOhm resistor. In this example you could get a 6.1k by taking a 5k and two 2.2ks, put the 2.2ks in parallel with each other, and in series with the 5k. There are always options if you don't mind it being ugly)

Wow my head is spinning all i wanted to do was bench today lol but now all i got is a head ache still don't get it but i will

what i think
2.7k for .28 volts
1.8k for .36 volts

What's the high side resistor?
Alternatively, put a new resistor to GND in parallel with the current one (just like a VR voltmod) that is ~15x the resistance. Should be about right for 0.4v more.

I'am more confused now guess i don't no what you mean by high side resistor i'am guess the out put voltage which i think is the LGATE that sends the voltage to to the ram and back to FB when you say add 15x the resistance to me that only .0625 more volt so i must seeing it all wrong

how my head see's it if i add 2.7k to the FB which reads 1k it will drop it down to .73k which will raise the volts by .27

TFrom the FB pin there is one resistor that goes to GND, that's the low side. There is also a resistor that goes to the output voltage (VDD in this case), that's the high side.
Dropping the FB to GND resistance by 27% will raise the voltage by something in the 20-30% range, so .4 to .6 in your case.

SO is VCC the same as VDD and if so i find the resistance between VCC and FB or is it ground

VCC to FB is 15k
VCC to GHD is 13.54

I have my card wired all reedy to the FB and GND so i should use something higher then 2.7k to be safe, 2.45 volt is the max for active+passive cooling i'am think know 5.6k and see what that gives meand take it from there i need to relearn some basic math

VCC on what though?
VCC on the controller? That's supply voltage.
VCC on the RAM?
VCC on the GPU die?
There's a lotta VCCs on there :D

I need to slow down i thought Vcc was the supply voltage i will learn this by the next mod i still got no idea what you mean be the high side i might be over thinking it i'am not going to be able get this out my head in till i learn this

I'am up to 6.8k now in between FB to GND by my math LOL that should give me about .26 more volts

EDit-just tested it with 6.8k resistor voltage is now 2.32 volts I'll be back i do want to learn this you don't mind if i pick your brain in tell i get this

mike

Last edited:
VCC is indeed supply voltage, that's why it's important to know what chip.
What we call vcore is also core-vcc. Power to the VRM controller is also VCC, power to the RAM is VCC. VCC just means it's a voltage source, every chip has a VCC pin, but they don't all run off the same voltage.

Back