• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3770K temps issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jebediah

Long story short.
I recieved my brand new 3770K last week and it's just to hot.

All the test has been done with default setting and Turbo at 3900MHz which is Intel specs.

My first run with the new rig VCore was set at Auto, and that gave me about ~1.280 V at load with Prime95

So i went back to bios and manually changed Vcore voltage to 1.072, but still it gives me crazy temperatures.
Here's a screenshot from 1.072 V

namnlsbc.jpg

And if i continues with the stress test it ends up with several workers stops.

Things i've done.
Change the thermal paste twice "AC5" And yes yes yes, everything is mounted proper.
All drivers are up to date and bios also. Bios settings are at default "even used the jumper"

So what's your thoughts about this? Faulty CPU?

I've google it and many others has the same problem, and some of them has even removed the IHS and changed the thermel paste with good result. But then i cant RMA it :p

Sorry for my lack of English

Same problem I have. I'm one who "hammered" the top off and gained 25c. But where I feel I should be in the 75s I'm still in the 85s. I suspect that chip is gonna be voltage starved too.

In all likelyhood Its not mounted properly, that stock Intel cooler. It shouldnt be that warm at stock speeds even on that cooler.

What are your ambient temps? What case and how is your airflow (front/sides = intake and top/rear = exhaust).

That said, though warm, those temps are fine for stress test temps anyway. Any normal use the temperatures will be a lower.

In all likelyhood Its not mounted properly, that stock Intel cooler. It shouldnt be that warm at stock speeds even on that cooler.

What are your ambient temps? What case and how is your airflow (front/sides = intake and top/rear = exhaust).

That said, though warm, those temps are fine for stress test temps anyway. Any normal use the temperatures will be a lower.

I'm running a 3770K w/ stock intel heatsink, default settings w/ all of the C states disabled etc... 24-26c ambient and I don't break 70c running F@H or prime95...

What is the temperature of your room (ambient)?

If you look at the bottom of the motherboard, do you see all 4 of the heatsink pins sticking out with the black piece inside?

Have you tried running any games?

As i said before. Yes, the cooler are properly installed. Yes, i can see all the four white pins sticking out. The stock fan are spinning at 2000 something RPM
Case: Fractal Design Define R2 with four 120mm fans "2 in and 2 out". Same setup that took my i7 930 to 4.2GHz at 1.385 V with no problem.
Room temperature are about 20-21c "it's still winter in Sweden"
Idle temps stays around 35-40c

I've tried BF3 briefly with VCore voltage at Auto "~1.280 V" and that ended up with game crash, but i'm not sure if it was temperature problem or SweeFX issue.

85-95c when stress testing and default bios settings doesn't sound normal, not for me anyway.

We know what you said, however that cooler tricks a lot of people. You need to see the BLACK internal pin sticking through the white pins on the bottom of the motherboard.

Is that heatsink warm to the touch at those temps? If not, you are not making good contact.

When you push down FIRMLY on the heatsink do the temps drop? If so, it wasnt making good contact.

How did your thermal paste spread? Did it appear to make good contact?

Sight... I know you only try to help out, but really. I've been around since the Intel 80486 era, so i do know how to mount a cooler properly. The thermal paste is applied as usual as i always done, a thin layer with a razor blade.

I think intels QC is dropping. I had a similar chip I believe, 3770k ran hot as heck, wouldnt oc very well.
Another one I bought for a friend using same cooler same board oc nicely, and temps were fine.

I think they are having problems with the assembly of the TIM and the cpu lid.

I think intels QC is dropping. I had a similar chip I believe, 3770k ran hot as heck, wouldnt oc very well.
Another one I bought for a friend using same cooler same board oc nicely, and temps were fine.

I think they are having problems with the assembly of the TIM and the cpu lid.

Thanks. That's the kind of answer i need.
So a RMA are prefered? Or should i just change the thermal paste under CPU lid as many other has done?

What does CPU-Z show as the Vcore while running Prime at 1.072V? Also try lowering the Vcore even more to ~1.02V w/ all power-saving features in the UEFI enabled (EIST, C1E, etc.).

As a data point, I just finished a build with a 3770k, running with a CM Hyper 212+ cooler (pretty inexpensive). At 4.5 GHz, with 1.25V, prime95 doesn't get above 75C, with the fan at about 3/4ths speed. Sounds like you are convinced everything is mounted and configured correctly, so to me, sounds like your choice is to try a different cooler, or RMA.

I had thermal runaway with the Evo on my 3770k when priming at 4200....running two SP120 corsair fans!

I tried 2 different TIMS and 3 remounts. no change.

What does CPU-Z show as the Vcore while running Prime at 1.072V? Also try lowering the Vcore even more to ~1.02V w/ all power-saving features in the UEFI enabled (EIST, C1E, etc.).

All C-states are on as default. CPU-Z and realtemp show the same value as Aida64 :-/
I will give it a try later with even lower voltage.
Dont know what the truth. Some say that 3770K will do fine up to 105c, but i recieve "errors" with Prime95 around 90-95c
But then i don't know if it is the undervoltage that causing this or the temps.

As a data point, I just finished a build with a 3770k, running with a CM Hyper 212+ cooler (pretty inexpensive). At 4.5 GHz, with 1.25V, prime95 doesn't get above 75C, with the fan at about 3/4ths speed. Sounds like you are convinced everything is mounted and configured correctly, so to me, sounds like your choice is to try a different cooler, or RMA.

I'm about to order a new cooler, but i don't know which one. Either H80i as i love those closed water cooling system, or Scythe Kama Grand Cross Rev B.

Well. If i RMA the cpu i'll have to live without my computer for at least two weeks and spend some time with my girlfriend which sucks :)
The other option is the change thermal paste under CPU lid and avoid the warranty.

Also try lowering the Vcore even more to ~1.02V

Well, i gave ~1.02V a try and my CPU couldn't reach over 2100MHZ without a 101 BSOD.
I give up. I'll wait for my new cooler, then i'll remove the cpu lid and change the TIM. 400$ poorer might be worth it when breaking the warranty :p

Back