• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vNB mod on P6N ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ludek111

Registered
Hi. I have problem with vNB vmod. Mobo: MSI P6N SLI Platinum. Voltage control chip is named MS-11, and there is nothing on internet about it. I wrote a mail to MSI, made a call to them. No help from MSI. I tried to actuate transistor using resistor and connecting it to proper leg of power transistor. On my old ECS socket A mother boards, it was working fine. I want to achieve WRecord, and I need only few MHz on nord bridge :) Some photos below.
I thing MS-11 is chip with FB leg, and I'm near 100% shure that ms-11 is vNB controller. Any ideas how to do more voltage? :confused:

It is version OEM, but I checked this, and I know that every chip is the same (but no 2nd IDE and 2nd PCIe x16 soldiered to PCB)

(On photo MS-11 is destroyed, but i have 2 of this mobo, and I tried soldiering on that one because it don't wanded to work, but giving proper voltages :) and damage this ms-11 )

MSI1.jpg

second photo.

MSI2.jpg

described:
MSI3.jpg

Last edited:
Can you take a picture of the bottom of the motherboard in that spot? I don't see anything immediately apparent as the FB pin on the top.
Failing that you can measure the resistance of each pin to both Ground and to vNB. The FB pin will have some resistance to both, though how much is hard to say. A guess based on nothing would be in the 0.400k to 10k range. It could be as low as 2ohms though.
That will rule a lot of pins out at least.

Thanks for helping me. :)
OK, there's photo. Green circles - capacitors.

MSI4.jpg

Ok, I'll measure it, and edit/write new post.

EDIT
well, suspects: 5th (and 6th leg are the same), and 9th. 5,6 leg resistance between gnd and vNB are the same (2kOhm), 9th is 10kOHM.

I found second MS-11 chip on this mobo. It's also controlling vDimm. 5,6,9 leg same values (2,2,10 kOHM). Which one is FB? Maybe it is not any of these 3 legs?

Edit:
tried to connect 5,6,9 legs to GND using some VRs and when I set resistance while mobo running, there is "resistance wall", and when I achieve it, chip is giving me 0V vNB. Ahh... maybe one more mail to MSI? :(

Last edited:
It must not be any of those legs, unless the NB runs at DRAM type voltage levels. I assume the board doesn't have any NB voltage control?

It is possible to change vNB in range 1.2-1.5V in bios. vDimm in range 1.8-2.8V. Any ideas?

Offtop:
I've just done my Asus CUSL2-C and TUSL2-C vmodding guide. Do u want me to translate it from Polish to English? I can do this, and it'd be useful for few people :)

EDIT:
Found this! It's 8th leg! the same voltage controller for vNB and vDIMM. It'd useful in future if anybody looking for vmods on this mobo:)
resistance between 8leg and GND, and also 8th leg and vNB is near the same, about 1kOhm. I'm going to make this mod tomorrow or later, and will write how is this working. Thanks Bobnova!

Last edited:
Back