• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turbo Boost problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gjla

Registered
I am trying to get my intel turbo boost to work but it doesn't seem to work. I am using windows 8 and I have downloaded the Turbo Boost Monitor v2.6 via 8gadgets for it. It shows that my CPU goes up to 2.4ghz (which is the max frequency without the boost) and not up to 3.4GHz but it doesn't ever go one pixel above the 2.4 line. The message, "Intel Turbo Boost Technology has to be enabled to run this program" pops up after I start the monitor from my desktop, and continues to start the monitor, but no signs of boosting happening.

My CPU is i7-3630QM http://ark.intel.com/products/71459. I have had a problem with this since I turned on the laptop. Originally when I tried to install the monitor, the installer said that I didn't have any processor that would allow me to install the monitor, and then later it just allowed me to install it. Very confusing.

Going onto the Intel website has proved to be a waste of time (unless I have missed something)
If anyone has any ideas on solving this problem that would be great. All I see it as I need a program that will allow me to enable Turbo Boost Technology, yet I am struggling to find one.
-G

I have just downloaded CPUz and it shows my cpu hitting 3.1ghz+. Sorry for the waste of a post, still quite an odd thing for the monitor to do.

CPUZ seems to be the most reliable for monitoring core speed.
realtemp was showing my muli dropping down to odd numbers like 43.5

RealTemp uses high performance timers within the CPU and is able to precisely determine the average multiplier the CPU is using. It determines the multiplier using a method documented and recommended by Intel.

If you have your CPU truly locked at the 44 multiplier then RealTemp will show exactly 44.0.

At full load if your multiplier is not locked at this value then you are experiencing throttling. RealTemp is more precise and can report this problem sooner than CPU-Z can.

When lightly loaded if your CPU is not showing the full 44 multiplier then that means you have at least one of the low power C States enabled such as C1E, C3 or C6. CPU-Z ignores when your CPU is using these C States and will continue to report that your multiplier is steady at 44 even when it isn't.

This has nothing to do with half step multipliers. Half multis do not exist in the Core i CPUs.

When RealTemp shows a multiplier like 43.5, that's showing you that during that sampling period your multiplier spent half of the time at 43.0 and the other half of the time at 44.0. RealTemp will show you exactly what your CPU is doing. CPU-Z is more designed for consistent validation purposes so hides some of what your CPU is really doing internally.

RealTemp T|I Edition
http://www.overclock.net/t/1330144/realtemp-t-i-edition

Edit: Here's an example.

http://imageshack.us/a/img19/9450/realtemp4600mhz.png

With the low power C States disabled, RealTemp and CPU-Z will be in agreement because the multiplier really is at 46. Laptops that use mobile processors tend to have various C States enabled. When that happens, the multiplier when lightly loaded is going to be wandering all over the place as the CPU rapidly enters and exits various C States. CPU-Z ignores this. RealTemp tells it like it is.

Last edited:
well i have my multi set to "per core" @ 44. speedstep disabled.
i have C1E enabled, all other's disabled. it was my understanding that C1E let the processor idle.
does C1E allow it to change the multiplier?

All of the low power C States (C1E, C3 and C6) are designed to drop both your multiplier and core voltage.

SpeedStep enabled or disabled does not make any difference. On a Core i Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU, I can not think of any reason to disable EIST - SpeedStep. If you want your multiplier truly locked at the highest turbo value then you need to disable the above C States and you need to use a Windows Power Profile with the Minimum processor state set to 100%.

i take back what i said about your program. downloaded the link you gave me.
it confirms what you said about C states. nice work and thanks!
[edit] what should the C state package be set to?
ok i set all C states to disabled,the C state package to auto, and re-enabled speedstep. it's now staying at 44x 100
sorry for jacking this thread BTW.[/edit]

Last edited:
All of the low power C States (C1E, C3 and C6) are designed to drop both your multiplier and core voltage.

SpeedStep enabled or disabled does not make any difference. On a Core i Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU, I can not think of any reason to disable EIST - SpeedStep. If you want your multiplier truly locked at the highest turbo value then you need to disable the above C States and you need to use a Windows Power Profile with the Minimum processor state set to 100%.

I believe it's the other way around. I have SpeedStep disabled and all C states enabled. My processor speed doesn't budge. The C states show a lower wattage being used by the CPU in instances where processing power isn't required, i.e., idle and also voltage does not change. If I enable SpeedStep, I will see my multiplier adjust, downclocking the CPU.

TooOld4This: Can you post a screen shot of RealTemp T|I Edition at idle with the C States window opened up to confirm that? What is your Minimum processor state set to in the Control Panel - Power Options?

When overclocking in the bios, some motherboards ignore your EIST and C State selections. You might think you have something enabled or disabled in the bios but in actual fact, that might not be true at all. The bios can and does compare all of your selections and chooses to turn on or turn off whatever it needs to. On many Asus boards like my P8Z77, the SpeedStep - EIST selection in the bios does absolutely nothing. After booting up to Windows, EIST is always enabled no matter what you select in the Asus bios. This is a well known feature.

It would be interesting to see what Asrock does with some of these settings on your board.

TooOld4This: Can you post a screen shot of RealTemp T|I Edition at idle with the C States window opened up to confirm that? What is your Minimum processor state set to in the Control Panel - Power Options?

When overclocking in the bios, some motherboards ignore your EIST and C State selections. You might think you have something enabled or disabled in the bios but in actual fact, that might not be true at all. The bios can and does compare all of your selections and chooses to turn on or turn off whatever it needs to. On many Asus boards like my P8Z77, the SpeedStep - EIST selection in the bios does absolutely nothing. After booting up to Windows, EIST is always enabled no matter what you select in the Asus bios. This is a well known feature.

It would be interesting to see what Asrock does with some of these settings on your board.

I don't have that RealTemp app you mention installed, I have CoreTemp.

If you look at this shot I just took, make a note of the wattage. When at idle, the value sits between 6 and 8w. If I disable all the C states, the wattage at idle sits around 30w and temps are higher.

6r3m9w.png.jpg

I currently have my Windows power options set to Maximum Performance. I do not see any difference with it a different minimum processor state. What would expect to see when this option is adjusted?

If you have a Linux system, you can install i7z, and it will show a graph of how much time each core spends in each C-state.

Core Temp does not report the C States that your processor is in and it also reports your full turbo multiplier when C States are being used. That's wrong.

The wattage all software shows is a number calculated within the CPU which is used to control the Turbo Boost feature. This number is based on the VID of the processor and is not based on the actual core voltage going to the processor. This means there are times when this power consumption number is completely meaningless.

The deeper C States like C3 or C6 are necessary for the proper functioning of the Intel Turbo Boost feature on the locked CPUs. The original poster has a Core i7-3630QM. On these CPUs if you disable C3 and C6 then this will also disable Turbo Boost at the same time. Unlocked CPUs like the 3570K and 3770K desktop CPUs can run the full turbo multiplier when loaded whether C3 / C6 are enabled or not.

Back