• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Operation Primate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I see our Poo Flinger "cross folders" on Rosie, but I don't see anyone new from the Poo Flinger so far, except ZL1.

Thanks, ZL1! Appreciate you sticking with it. :thup:

I've been on vacation for the last 8 days (will be getting home on Monday) so I haven't been island hopping like before I left. Sorry about that :(

@Janus67, no worries.

Whenever the crew takes a site seeing trip with Dave, you just never know when they'll get back. :D

I will catch up with you guys at Rosetta and do my part for sure...

Just ran into some stability issues yesterday which I will try to troubleshoot today.

System has been shutting down for some unknown reason. CPU related I believe for now, particularly annoying as it does not present itself easily (might run for minutes to hours before shutting down) and will take Ages to isolate.

Prime95 does not seem to replicate the issue for the length I ran it (a 30mins quick test late last night).

Another coffee and I will get into it.

Usually the order for all d/c programs is:

Linux, better by 10-15%
Linux in a VM, better by 5-10%
Windows

But in this case, the Windows versions are always the latest, and seem to work just a bit more reliably, with the latest versions, since the programmers test them more thoroughly - knowing that 90% of their users will be using Windows.

Indeed, I've had Linux versions of BOINC where some feature or other just flat out didn't work, and nobody was ever going to fix it for that version. Choosing to fix it only for the next version. :mad:

But if your version of BOINC and Linux work with it, then you're golden, of course. I run both Ubuntu and Windows, with good results nearly always. Ubuntu is BOINC's test case. Any other distro, and BOINC probably won't be interested.

I haven't been able to fold or cruch lately thanks to the heat :-/ At least I am still able to keep the ship in order, most of the time. Grog seems to be more plentiful this year :beer:

It looks like i managed to start running the Rosetta Boinc client, but it says im not a member of a team. How do i join Overclockers.com team? (boinc manager version is 7.0.64, OS is Win7 x64)

EDIT: looks like i've found out, does that looks right?:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
You got it! :cool:

And the first thing you want to do (probably), is to click on "Projects", and then on the "No New Tasks" (left side vertical row of buttons).

If you don't do that, you'll keep getting work units to fold, and you probably have a full 3-5 day supply, already.

Rosetta is a Go.

1 more has arrived... fashionably late to the party?

Think I will have dropped close to 60k off at UFO Archipelago in all, was a fun time and ended up staying an extra day ish :)

meh -.-

BOINC is Really bad at load balancing between projects....

or I am missing something.

Trying to leave 1 CPU of 12 to run the end of one SETI WU, trying various settings that Should appear to balance things yet leave SETI not working and Rosetta only working on 2 out of 10 CPU cores lol

will keep trying.........

(how can people prefer this silly interface over F@H's simple and working interface lol)

meh -.-
BOINC is Really bad at load balancing between projects....
or I am missing something.

Trying to leave 1 CPU of 12 to run the end of one SETI WU, trying various settings that Should appear to balance things yet leave SETI not working and Rosetta only working on 2 out of 10 CPU cores lol

will keep trying.........

(how can people prefer this silly interface over F@H's simple and working interface lol)

^^^^ :rofl: ^^^^

You can limit the number of cores used, but I don't know how BOINC handles the GPU projects with this feature. Without GPU's it's strictly done via percentages (like Tanker has to be limited on Rosetta, because Rosie has mad memory requirements that crash it, otherwise).

Unfortunately, BOINC was a mess early in it's development, but finally came around. In the process, it became a bit too full of bells and whistles, and finding out how to do things - working with it - became more difficult than it should be.

Early FAH clients were the pits though - take my word for it. You can still see vestiges of some problems in the log file - like the automatic checking to see if there is a finished wu, waiting to be sent, every few hours. Stupid client would sit there after you finished a wu, and simply REFUSE to send it!! You had to stop it and restart it, you had to howl at the moon when it was full - and still it was hit or miss! Talk about frustrating!

:temper::temper::mad::mad:

Except for the v6.2 and up, the FAH client has been far below par, overall.

The v7 client of course, is the cats meow - that just shows what the difference is between having a professional programmer/developer write up the client, and having smart senior students and/or chemists write the code.
No comparison, whatsoever.

You may need to suspend the non-GPU project, while the GPU wu finishes up, and then just click on the "resume" button to fire back up the project you suspended earlier.

In Windows, under Tools -- computing preferences, there is a tab - processors usage, and about the third line down, there is a check box to allow GPU folding.

For me, the box is unchecked by default, but you have it checked already, right?

The only other thing I can think of is to start up a second BOINC manager. Give one of them 75% (9 cores), and set the second BOINC manager to use just 25% of the cores. That should give enough cores to both of them, including system overhead.

After almost a month at sea it is time for
the USS Poo Flinger and her crew to return home this morning.
We have wrapped up out last mission at Rosetta Refuge
so it means we return to our regular folding duties
with our team mates on monkey island.

On behalf of Adak and myself
I would once again like to thank everyone who helped us
in this years race, we hope you'll join us again next year.
And to our Team32 team mates,
thank you for your dedication to folding and the team,
and for helping us pay back everyone who helped us.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Thanks for the tips Adak but it just would not play fair even with multiple multiple multiple variations on the % settings etc etc just wanted to see what points I would get for a CPU SETI WU that took 24 hours + to complete... turns out less than some 1.5hour WUs -.-"

Thanks Very much for the Great efforts of our Captains and of course the rest of the crew that made this ride so much fun ^_^

I will stay on a day or so more with our Rosetta friends to make sure I put in my fair part, besides who wants this ride to come to an end with all the great people along the way :D

See you all back at base!

Cheers :beer: - :salute:

What great leaders and what a great team - Congrats to all!!

Almost a MONTH of folding for the cause <--- awesome dedication!!

I especially appreciate, after all these years, finally folding under our own names in the Challenge - big thanks to Adak on that one!

What great leaders and what a great team - Congrats to all!!

Almost a MONTH of folding for the cause <--- awesome dedication!!

I especially appreciate, after all these years, finally folding under our own names in the Challenge - big thanks to Adak on that one!

Thanks! We've been trying to make that change for a few years. I believe most teams liked it, and that practice will remain in the future.

Back