• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i3 540 OC 4Ghz fine tuning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bactuz

Want to fine tune my settings, increase QPI and DDR3 around 1600-1800mhz, running stable at 4Ghz, with no heat increase on GPU

My setup
Gigabyte P55A-UD3 (Marvel Bios)
Intel I3 540
Corsair 550W Bronze +
Corsair DDR3 1600mhz 2x4gb
GTX 650TI 1GB
Western Digital HDD
Decent heatsink with 2 fans attached, and 4 more fans.

Pictures for more detailed information. CPUID and Core Temp (Max was under prime95 during 10min, longer runs it goes to 67C)

I´ve manage to run lazy OC up to 4.2GHZ before with 23 multiplier,think i broke my old DDR3 cause i got BSOD @ 4GHZ. Bought new ones and was running 3.8GHZ fine. Read the 3-Steps-Guide to have my goal at stable 4Ghz.
So far so good now.

The confusing part is that the bios has 2 location to see the Vcore, one is in the tweaking menu (Vcore around 1.284, what i had on Lazy OC) the other one is pc health (around 1.3), while CPU-Z shows 1.344V. And dont knowing the limit of my Core, i had problems pushing it with 20x200mhz. And it seems that the CPU-Z has the correct number, so im not reling much on my BIOS. But the Vcore seems way to high for so low OC.

Getting the Vcore at 1.334 with 4Ghz i went all in to start changing the CPU/VTT from 1.0 to 1.050 also change the QPI Voltage (dont remember the numbers). What do i change to lower the Vcore and push my DDR3 to a 10 with 1750mhz instead of 8 at 1400mhz (Havent change any Voltage for the ram), also how do i increase my QPI from 6.4 to be stable with my goal?

No, you got BSOD because i3 540 only can handle RAM frequency up to 1333MHz. If you OC the RAM more than 1500MHz, you will get BSOD. So, dont worry, your RAM is not broken. I have the same processor with you.

Spec:
I3 540 (OC to 3.71GHz) with stock cpu cooler
RAM DDR3 2x2GB
Motherboard: Asus P7H55M LX

Back