• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what voltage to start for NB and CPU-NB Voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

william_90

Registered
factors like HT link Speed, i really donno what numbers to put for them,
pls take a look at my bios pic, and see if im missing sth
i just get BSOD when i put these factors on "Auto", seems they need to be changed but i donno where to begin?

im trying to stabilize it on 4.4~4.5 if possible
i've put DRAM Frequency on 1066 with 1.6v and 220FSB x20
and the rest to Auto but just got BSODs
i've lowered to 4.2 but nothing just BSODs

not to mention the "OC Genie 2" features get an BSODs after few seconds running OCCT, it uses 4.2 with 1.368v and 1066DRAM with 1.68v

what I need is just, what to do with these factors
where to start test&trial with them

CPU NB Voltage
NB Voltage

and i donno if there's any other factor to change that i'm missing, i've put the "click bios 2" pictures below

my goal is having 4.4Ghz <1.5v with 8350 and 1333 <1.7v with Geil 1600

thanks

990FXA-GD65 - AMD 8350 - 7970 Sapphire - 750w PSU Overclock Edition - 2x4 RAM 8gig Geil Evo Veloce 1600 - Z600 hyper cooler (without its two aftermarket fans) - HDD Sata and SSD Force GC

1_online.jpg

cpuspecs.jpg

3_online.jpg

m1_online.jpg

1_online.png

2_online.png

3_online.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum William_90
For starters give this thread a read it'll help you get familiar with OC'ing a FX chip. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663
You should also uninstall the OC genie since we'll be working strictly in the biosAlso download CPUz, HWmonitor(free) and prime 95. Set your Bios back to defaults and put your ram speed to 1600. Hopefully It'll boot and be somewhat stable. Open CPUz and give us pics of the main tab, spd and memory tabs. Run Prime 95 and have Hwmonitor open. we want to see snips of HWmonitor while your CPU is under load. Also when you're in the bios disable all the green stuff like cool n quiet, C1e C6 and epu. Also disable the turbo option.

Actually you would be better off to leave the FSB frequency alone and overclock with the "Adjust CPU Ratio" tool as you have a CPU with an unlocked core speed mulitiplier. Much simpler. Disable Cool N Quiet, C1E, Core C6 State and AMD Turbo Core Technology. If there is something called "APM" (Advanced Power Mangagement) or it's equivalent, disable it as well.

Increase your CPU Ratio value by .5x increments. After each increase, run a Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes to check for stability and temps. Once you start failing the test (Blue screen, restart, lockup, one or more of the Prime95 core workers drops out) then go back and add .025 to the CPU Voltage and retest. Whenever you run a Prime95 stress test, have HWMOnitor (non pro version) open on the desktop to monitor temps and voltages. Don't allow "package" temps to exceed about 60c and don't allow CPU (socket) temps to exceed about 70c.

Last edited:
I knew I'm in the right place for overclocking questions :D
thank you for replying
I've put cpuz infos but I think there's a problem, when i ran prime95 after 5 min the cpu's temperature was crossing 70, I think thats a problem, isnt that? the room is also hot(its very hot in D.C.)

my cooler is Z600, it works with Gas, no fan, but i can buy 2 fan for it, its mountable
I was thinking an slight overclock wont need it, will it? for example 4 to 4.3 or 4.4

anyway I'm gonna try these,
I wanted ur advice before that
I really thank you for ur helps

CPU FSB Frequency 220x20 (the link Johan45 mentioned says increasing FSB is better than multiplier in performance, I donno)
CPU Voltage 1.4
CPU NB Voltage 1.2
NB Voltage 1.2

CPU NB Ratio "I donno, may not change it"

DRAM Frequency "@Johan45, are u sure 1600 is safe? the default in bios is 1333, i mean the temp or voltage it requires, wont it harm the Rams?"

and also disabling the things you mentioned

I don't know about better performance but using a combination of FSB and CPU ratio (or "multiplier" as we call it) often allows you to get away with a little less vcore at the same overclock level. I recommended using the multiplier only because it is much simpler and you seem to be a beginner overclocker. When you involve the FSB there are several variables you have to juggle at the same time to maintain stability. If you just use the multiplier to get your overclock roughed out then you can go back and adjust the other variables independently, such as CPUNB frequency.

Yes, get the fans. You are running too hot. Actually, for the FX eight core CPUs we encourage people to go with a good water kit like the Corsair H100i if they want a good overclock. I wouldn't set your sights too high if I were you. 4.4 ghz might not be reasonable.

Tell us about your case (make and model) and it's ventilation properties. How many intake and how many exhaust fans? How large are the fans and where are they located? Good case ventilation is critical to overclocking success. If you want a quiet PC then you can forget about overclocking the FX-8350. You might try this experiment. Take the side panel off the case and run Prime95 again. If temps go down your ventilation is inadequate.

cooler is Z600, it works with Gas, no fan = I can tell you for CERTAIN that a passive cooler with nO fan has any chance of cooling that 8 core cpu. No chance at all.
RGone...

yeah you were right I really need to get those fans for even an slight overclock
but on the other hand, i tried these...

CPU FSB Frequency 205x20
CPU Voltage 1.421500
CPU NB Voltage 1.247686
NB Voltage 1.203
DRAM frequency 1333 with 1.6v

No BSOD but OCCT gave me errors after 5min test

@trents thank you i tried removing side panels, no change but actually from the look i see, its no way near a professional case, but I'm not looking for a professional overclock, just 0.2 or 0.3 GHz, coz i really felt the difference when playing games in 4.2 compared to 4GHz, the 4.2 is the OC Genie2 option, on bios which gives BSOD in very high process

for cooling problem I donno if the increasing of temp will stop in running prime95 or not
i just stop Prime95 when i see its crossing 75
does it even stop or it goes till burning out everything?

considering i've handled the cooling problem,

what should I do to make it stable, the numbers i gave u were the closest thing to other forums i could find

i donno what to change further

thank you

just stop Prime95 when i see its crossing 75
does it even stop or it goes till burning out everything? = goes until it burns up everything or some sensor on cpu or mobo sees a problem and shuts down. May be too late.

considering i've handled the cooling problem, = Do not see anything you have done to fix the cooling.
RGone...

william,

Until you get those temps under control you can assume your instability is being caused by that. When core (package) temps or CPU socket temps exceed a certain point then instability sets in when overclocking. An overclocked computer is much more sensitive to this than is one running at stock speeds and voltages. Temp-related instability occurs before actual damage to components, typically, anyway. From looking at your HWMonitor pic, I'm guessing your CPU socket temp corresponds to TMPIN0.

There's really no point in continuing this thread until you get fans installed.

mjrhealth, I'm glad you explained "Delta" as the diff and not the fan company that specializes in wind tunnel PC fans. The capital "D" through me there for a bit, he, he!

I'm looking for best 12cm case fan thanks to mjrhealth it seems Noctua NF-P12 is cool
and thanks again everyone, It was really helpful knowing the temp also can cause BSOD in overclocking, I was wondering why 1.4v for even 4.05 clock is not enough
seems the temp was the prob
If god wills, I'll post the spex with fans mounted
and i'll be glad to know the best 12cm case fan in market, if u're aware of any
thanks

Thank you Johan45, i just saw ur msg, its a lil late bro, I already bought the fans though 35dB is lil loud i think, I bought cougar vortex BWM....(the orange ones) and I ran the prime95 and monitor the PC it was really different, the temp wouldn't cross 47 while it would pass 70 after 5min without fans, I've posted the HWMonitor and the other things u asked
now, can I reach 4.5 with this rig? <1.4v

Last edited:
I really donno why I cant make it stable, even with 1.4v for CPU, a 4.1 core speed cant be stable and OCCT give its duck voice error
I just tried these
200fsb x 20.5 multiplier
Dram 1333 with 1.55v
NB 1.2v
CPU NB 1.2
everything disabled except SVM mode in CPU features

click bios 2 version E7640AMS V19.8

I'm confused about Rams, its 1333 on default in Bios while its Geil 1600, and i can hit 1866 in Bios, what should i do about Ram and its voltage

Follow the XMP profilefor settings and voltage on that ram and make sure you hit enter after making changes. It really is time for you to put up a sig like you see at the bottom of my post. Just makes it easier for the rest of us. We typically are helping more than 1 person and it's a real pain to go back to the first post to check your components.
Also some new pics would be great .

I've posted the HWMonitor and the other things u asked
now, can I reach 4.5 with this rig? <1.4v

Okay where did you post the 3 Cpuz shots and the HWMonitor with P95 running and logging? I don't see it in this post!!!

So what did you do? Go ALL the way back to the first post and remove the old uploaded pics and replace them with the newer 3 cpuz and HWMonitor captures? That does us no real good. No way to compare old against the new. And it is the very reason we ask that you create a signature so your configuration follows all your posts and we do not have to go back to the first post. You make it tough on people trying to help you for n0 pay.
RGone...

Follow the XMP profilefor settings and voltage on that ram and make sure you hit enter after making changes. .
Following the XMP profile? u mean changing the DRAM Timing Mode? to?
9-9-9 1600 with 1.5v right?
the bios doesnt have XMP profile

and do i need to change the HT Link Speed? or tamper with HT Link Control

Not having any idea what TMPlN1 is showing the temp of it is hard to say what to do. MSI is not displaying temps like most other motherboards. If it is North Bridge it is high. If it is for the VRM circuit, it is still high for a Max of only 1.424 Volts to the cpu.

You can try getting a fan into position to blow directly on the VRM circuit and see if the 75c drops any. Then maybe blow air directly on the North Bridge heat sink and see if goes down from that extra air from fan. You really need to find out which is hot and lower that temp or for sure you will have to remain at the speed you are currently running.
RGone...

Back