• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new cell phone, which would you choose and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Samsung Galaxy S line is the only high-end phone range left with a removable battery.

+1, that is why I'm looking at these two options... I've been speaking with Bobnova via PM, and he has convinced me to get the Note 2. The S4 is way too new to have any concrete data on the functioning or battery life. I've read that the S4 is looking to be another Thunderbolt, so for that alone I think I'll pass. The Note two has a beefy replaceable 3100Ma battery, with 21 hours of talk time...Really? As far as the Nokia Windows phones, little late to this game... Its really iOS vs Android now... I thank everyone for participating in my questions..

any phone you can access the battery if you want :) ive replaced almost every generation of iphone batteries they are actually really easy to access.

Yes, two hex screws on the bottom, then the back slides off.. However, you need to take out the microphone and a few other electronics to get the battery out... Its really not a "user replaceable" battery.. and you can't get a desktop charger for it, so I'm afraid its a lose-lose.. And for you to make a statement its real easy to take out, lacks the truth, because its really not.. But I'm not trying to start an argument...

Yes, two hex screws on the bottom, then the back slides off.. However, you need to take out the microphone and a few other electronics to get the battery out... Its really not a "user replaceable" battery.. and you can't get a desktop charger for it, so I'm afraid its a lose-lose.. And for you to make a statement its real easy to take out, lacks the truth, because its really not.. But I'm not trying to start an argument...

I'm not entirely sure which gen iphone you are talking about but i've never had to remove a microphone or other electronics to pull a battery, but you are right, they're not designed to be user replaceable. pain in the a** yes, impossible, no.

I'm not entirely sure which gen iphone you are talking about but i've never had to remove a microphone or other electronics to pull a battery, but you are right, they're not designed to be user replaceable. pain in the a** yes, impossible, no.

iPhone 3/4/4s.. I have a buddy who replaces the cracked screens and I've watched him do it... However the whole point in having a replaceable battery is to change it with a fully charged one... So that is not possible.. case-in-point..

;)

iPhone 3/4/4s.. I have a buddy who replaces the cracked screens and I've watched him do it... However the whole point in having a replaceable battery is to change it with a fully charged one... So that is not possible.. case-in-point..

;)

yeah i cant vouch for the 3 but i have ripped a 4s apart, the 5 isnt better either, but you are correct, I always have an extra battery in my car for when one dies, so much better that a ridiculous car charger.

Keep in mind with the Samsung phones that you'll be stuck with either the crappy Samsung OS, or a buggy third party OS. Samsung has made things hard on third party devs to produce stable ROMs, so it's something to think about.

HTC One would be my pick as there should be good Cyanogenmod support for it.

Keep in mind with the Samsung phones that you'll be stuck with either the crappy Samsung OS, or a buggy third party OS. Samsung has made things hard on third party devs to produce stable ROMs, so it's something to think about.

HTC One would be my pick as there should be good Cyanogenmod support for it.

I agree that Touchwiz is crap, but there is tons of dev on the S3 and S4, with several stable ROMs.

I agree that Touchwiz is crap, but there is tons of dev on the S3 and S4, with several stable ROMs.

I still can't find a stable CM10 (4.1x) for the Galaxy S3, and the Cyanogenmod team said it's unlikely they'll support the S4 due to the difficulty in supporting that device. A mate of mine has a Galaxy S2 (i9100), and he's still stuck on 4.0x. There are plenty of nightlies around but I wouldn't trust them for day to day use. That's just not good enough that the world's most popular high end Android phones have such poor OS support, and the Android OSs are only going to become more bloated and proprietary with time.

Everyone I've talked to who has had a stable CM ROM would never go back to an OEM Android distro.

Well, I'm going to go for an S4. Upgrading from a HTC G2. I'm going to miss the physical keyboard, but I think I'll be able to adapt. If I still can't stand it after a month, I'll buy a Bluetooth keyboard.

I've already ordered a 5600 mAh battery and back cover.

I use a stereo headset with my phone, and one of the things the S4 has in the sound settings is a hearing test you can take. Then it tweaks your audio settings to match your hearing profile. Not a reason I'm getting it, but a nice bonus.

I'm just hoping to find a holster that fits the phone with the back cover. Most of the ones I've seen for the S4 that face the screen in also have a back protector, which probably won't fit with the extended life battery.

Back