• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Soyo KT400 Ultra.

@Blaylock, checked out the forum, lots of interesting stuffs there, unfortunately had some issues where the pc was updating and gave up on messing with it for a day or too. Not sure running win7 is the way to go though, any thoughts as to whether or not I should load 98SE or XP back on the ole beast?

XP for bench'n I'd reckon

For benchmarking XP and Win7 32 & 64 bit are the generally the way to go. Each bench likes things a little different. For light old skool gaming, I really miss '98.

For benchmarking XP and Win7 32 & 64 bit are the generally the way to go. Each bench likes things a little different. For light old skool gaming, I really miss '98.

Why not rangle up some old hardware and make a kool old skool rig? :D
Then you can putz around with it later too of course!

:thup:

great idea!
is xp actually still for sale?
lots of rigs running windows xp around .5 gb memory about to be tossed out, surely better than trash. not certain about driver issues and what not.
guessing the main boards could max out between 1.5 and 4 gb memory. amazon seemed to have fairly cheap ddr1 400mhz before last Christmas.

upon offering to take neighbors trash to the dumpster yesterday, low and behold a full dell tower in the mix I asked and received.
4 memory slots full, have only verified 2 x 128mb of the 4 sticks as of current. and of course full of dust.
dust discouraged me from further inspection. was planning on at least reusing the desktop tower case.

chomping at the bit on a 3d solution as of yet not enough $$$'s.....

7870 oc being repaired on the 3rd RMA I sent out.

still haven't reassembled the asus crosshair v formula z or tried the board since receiving it back from RMA.
still haven't tried the 2400mhz corsair memory kit 2 x 4 gb received back from RMA the 2600mhz kit.

the Athlon x2 and phenom2 seem to be covering my needs as of now.
just occupying time with motion detection video with a cheap webcam on the laptop.
been years since tv in the bedroom. I do not recommend tv in bedroom.<-----Athlon x2. sleep more than anything.

cable company 1 year promotion expired and renewed. threw in a cable tv box, about 250 channels at less than 7 $$$'s more monthly.

I would definitely enjoy building some type of overclocking shed/room this summer.

not much opportunity for earning money with odds and ends, even shoveling seems unneeded hence the lawn.
middle of the day's are getting warm when the sun shines. do not get spring fever yet and get fooled.

stay strong.

Thought I'd share this with any of you that will find a use for it. It's for Nvidia inspector and LOD. If any of you do not know you can manually change the LOD in inspector and setting the hexadecimal for the different LOD's. This is a speadsheet of the different LOD's so for example in inspector you would click on LOD Bias and where it says 0.000 highlight that and type in 0x and then the hexadecimal. So for LOD 5 it would be 0x00000028 hit apply and you have +LOD 5. For negative LOD it is the same EXCEPT you only enter in 6 "F" not all 8. So -5 LOD would be 0XFFFFFFD8. To calculate the LOD you want take the number, for example 5 divide by .125 which is 40 then find the Hexadecimal for 40 which is 28 or 0x00000028 for inspector. If anyone has questions just ask me I'll explain further.
Capture3.PNG

Why don't you just use the modded one? Dropdown menu with the actual LOD number is way easier.

Finally got the intel mounts for my h100i...

"Quiet mode"

1.288v.PNG

"Balanced mode"

balanced mode.PNG

This BIOS is more overwhelming than the DFI bios's were ><

I honestly have no idea what Im doing here... Last intel I had was a Pentium 2 I think... And the BIOS is very.... complex on this Mpower. All I did was set 1.2 vcore, and multi @ 46 and tried to boot. It made it to desktop, and actually took a few minutes to BSOD, so I figured what the hell lol, a lot of little vcore bumps later here we sit 2 hours into p95. (vcore is adjustable in .001 increments all the way through, which is new to me)

I honestly have no idea what Im doing here... Last intel I had was a Pentium 2 I think... And the BIOS is very.... complex on this Mpower. All I did was set 1.2 vcore, and multi @ 46 and tried to boot. It made it to desktop, and actually took a few minutes to BSOD, so I figured what the hell lol, a lot of little vcore bumps later here we sit 2 hours into p95. (vcore is adjustable in .001 increments all the way through, which is new to me)

Really not much to overclocking one of these chips. Some multiplier, some voltage, the rest on auto besides the Ram maybe and your good to go.

Shrlmpy said:
Really not much to overclocking one of these chips. Some multiplier, some voltage, the rest on auto besides the Ram maybe and your good to go.

Unless you're stuck with a chip like mine :rolleyes:

What S_B says though is really right. And it is then worse when the chip is a bowwow.

I don't game a lot and I am not into benching so no need of any extra IPC of Intel and their increase multplier and add Vcore type setups. No fun to me and my old school socket 775 fun days.

RGone...

Unless you're stuck with a chip like mine :rolleyes:

Been thinking of my chip and my OC I have been working on. Maybe I can say in honesty I have been attacking it with the same mentality I have with my FX which I have come to the conclusion is not the right way to approach these chips. Is it possible you have fallen into the same pattern ..... SP? I know it is time for me to dumb it down some.

Been thinking of my chip and my OC I have been working on. Maybe I can say in honesty I have been attacking it with the same mentality I have with my FX which I have come to the conclusion is not the right way to approach these chips. Is it possible you have fallen into the same pattern ..... SP? I know it is time for me to dumb it down some.
You certainly need a bit more finesse with the Intel Haswell chips then with the Fx.

I dunno. I hammered it with voltage, went for 4.5 Ghz and failed.
So I went back to 4.0, and went up 100 Mhz at a time until I hit 4.4 Ghz stable..

From what I can tell, in my case it's some sort of wall.... a speed wall I think. No combo of BCLK or multiplier will get me over 4.4 Ghz stable, no matter the voltage. :-/

Juts one of those chips. a bowwow as Rgone explained :p

Back