• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Picked up an i7-4790k today. Just need the board now.

Guess we'll see you in the Intel section...... but perhaps not likely for any real reason beyond asking "Why are there so many settings?? I only need two of them" lol.

The nice thing about that cpu is you just need a good power rail, A multiplier and a ram setting and set voltages for those two things.... aaaaaand you're done! Enjoy your overclock!!!

Seriously, the Intel chips are really pretty simple. I didn't find going into specifics in the bios to bring any kind of special stability for what we'd call a daily use scenario. And in some extreme cases helped a little bit while really getting Ram frequencies really high above 1200mhz. If you where to ask me, I'd be trying to find Intel that can run a memory frequency of 1400mhz or faster.

Get ready for heat. It's different though. The AMD you expect it. See it right away. The Intel on the other hand might give a suprise topping at 90c or better and stable at 4.8ghz. Good stability will come from those nice low temps under 80c, much like AMD, lower is better but the voltage increase is sometimes a product of ill returns.

I suggest a de-lid, water block straight to die. But do some testing for comparison purposes. That will help a lot more than you think.

Thanks Shrimpy. This CPU will likely never see an air cooler and my custom loop is pretty over the top so I'd be very surprised to see super high temps without good reason(i.e. high O.C. voltages). I think my biggest struggle with this chip will be in not just throwing volts at it like you can with AMD. I think when I got my FX4130 I tested it out and went straight to 1.55v to see what she could do.

I've already done a fair amount of reading on the Intels, but there's no doubt in my mind there's going to be some learning going on here. I've read that the Devil's Canyon chips have improved TIM under the hood. A de-lid is not likely in my future, but not out of the question. I bought it at a good enough price point that if it's a bad sample I plan on selling it off for what I paid and getting a different one.

Good for you Blaylock, like S_B said they're pretty straight forward once you start but the your first look at the BIOS will have you scratching your head. Oh and these DON'T like 1.55v without exceptional cooling.

Intel rigs in the AMD section?
soldering mod for extreme high vcore voltage?
more about de-lidding?

you boys are bad, bad, bad!
Lol......

not much to contribute from this end recently....
just over a week no cigarettes at all.
working on never ending black credit hole...

on the verge of a definite spring melting or mud season. any day now.
have my eye on a shed to look over perhaps make work for next winter such hobbies...
I took a look at joining a benching team steps required first time.

just odds and ends here lately....

keep up the humor and projects...

.... oh you're bad!! :rofl:
Actually it isn't that far off from the truth, I picked up a I5 3750k for SP at Microcenter, a few months ago and sent it to him from here in NY. It took almost a month for him to get it because it was taking trips around Ca.

Thanks Shrimpy. This CPU will likely never see an air cooler and my custom loop is pretty over the top so I'd be very surprised to see super high temps without good reason(i.e. high O.C. voltages). I think my biggest struggle with this chip will be in not just throwing volts at it like you can with AMD. I think when I got my FX4130 I tested it out and went straight to 1.55v to see what she could do.
I think you will still be surprised Blaylock, I cannot get mine over 4.4 2 hours prime stable due to heat on my custom loop. Yes it will do more for benching but they get hot even with the improved TIM. That said mine is an above average space heater. If I recall correctly Johans 4770k ran about 12c cooler then mine on his AIO Thermaltake 3.0 vs my custom loop and he was running more volts.

Actually it isn't that far off from the truth, I picked up a I5 3750k for SP at Microcenter, a few months ago and sent it to him from here in NY. It took almost a month for him to get it because it was taking trips around Ca.

^^ True story.

Thanks to the trip it had to Newfoundland, it's a drunk dog of a chip :rofl:

No offense to anyone here of course.

I've already done a fair amount of reading on the Intels, but there's no doubt in my mind there's going to be some learning going on here. I've read that the Devil's Canyon chips have improved TIM under the hood. A de-lid is not likely in my future, but not out of the question. I bought it at a good enough price point that if it's a bad sample I plan on selling it off for what I paid and getting a different one.

Nice, my de-lidded FX-4300 was posted new out of the box sub zero. In fact I think that chip has seen ambient temps only one time right after the de-lid to be sure it still worked....

Improved TIM isn't your thermal paste of choice. And it's not about the thermal interface material as much as removing heat quickly. The plate takes time to absorb and then dissipate heat. Same thing with the thermal past. Just like the AMD chips, a 10c drop just from block to cpu. But since this ones 300$, I'd just leave it alone for a bit and enjoy it for daily use.

To be honest, this 9590 is killing my ability to cool it. Not in a sense the loop is warm, but in a sense that when trying to run big voltage at 1.5125, the cores raise in temps quite quickly in comparison to the loop temps. That is simply slow heat movement from the center of that processor to my liquid. The solder is bogus for heat transfer. I can see it right on HWMonitorPro..... kinda sux.

To be honest, this 9590 is killing my ability to cool it. Not in a sense the loop is warm, but in a sense that when trying to run big voltage at 1.5125, the cores raise in temps quite quickly in comparison to the loop temps. That is simply slow heat movement from the center of that processor to my liquid. The solder is bogus for heat transfer. I can see it right on HWMonitorPro..... kinda sux.
QFT Shrimp!!! In my short time Ocing I have certainly seen more then once that every chip I have will have a point where, if they're not cool enough they just will not take any more volts. I find my AMD chips to be a little more tolerant then my 2 Intels, especially my 4770k. That lil you know what is so finicky I know exactly how cold my water needs to be to run X Oc. If it's not where it needs to be, trying to run any higher is an exercise in futility!

Well I can't wait to see your new setup in some action and what your capable of doing. Sounds like 3D benching in your future cause Intel is great for that!

Question: For the benching rig that I'm making (here), I'm planning on bolting studs through the bottom of the MoBo tray and using thumb nuts to fasten the board down. What size bolts should I get? (i.e. 5mm X xLG)

Not wing nuts. Thumb nuts are like what's on the water blocks or CPU pots. Quite a bit smaller than a wing nut. Actually your breadboard is the primary inspiration for this project. I just wanted something that is mostly self contained.

Back