• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you running MSI AB???????
Under settings, you can have it display on screen - your Core Clock, Memory Clock, Core Voltage, Memory Voltage, FPS, Ect, Ect,

I'm trying to find the point (under water) that my 290x is throttling back. Is it when the VRM1 gets to xx or when the core hits xxV.
The 290 - 290x are rated @ 95c. The hottest I have gotten my 290x was 33c while running Catzilla, this also caused my card (clocked @ 1175) to throttling back to under 950 at times:(

I keep ending up reinstall windows os.
in my opinion ends up some kinda code conflicts with apps....
gpu-z hdmonitor cpu-z, among gaming network and recently trying some of these voice apps.
even gpu-z hdmonitor and cpu-z, I can generate what appears as related errors.
of course uncertain here.

amd ccc driver sometimes problems.

haven't run afterburner in over 2 years for monitoring litecoin mining temps.

from your above post, more than appears you got your gpu temps under control.

I keep ending up reinstall windows os.
in my opinion ends up some kinda code conflicts with apps....
gpu-z hdmonitor cpu-z, among gaming network and recently trying some of these voice apps.
even gpu-z hdmonitor and cpu-z, I can generate what appears as related errors.
of course uncertain here.

amd ccc driver sometimes problems.

haven't run afterburner in over 2 years for monitoring litecoin mining temps.

from your above post, more than appears you got your gpu temps under control.

The hottest I have gotten my 290x was 33c while running Catzilla, this also caused my card (clocked @ 1175 Core) to throttling back to under (950 Core clock) at times:(

Mine aren't throttling, not anymore at least, and I don't run any other monitoring software when I run most benchmarks now cause it really does cut into your score, each time that software updates it uses cpu processes that slow the gpu down, that why your min fps is so low. That's at least the case with mine.

Maddmutt, I had a problem awhile back, mine weren't throttling per-say but they were not being utilized fully, me and RGone after he found some documentation came the conclusion that the XDMA engine (Which is found on the GPU IC as best we can tell) will hold gpu usage back if you are running on a non-native resolution on your desktop. To test this I set my primary display to 1440p (native is 2160p) and ran Unigine. I had two instances of GPU-z opened and had the GPU utilization set for avg. I was only getting 46% on each usage. I know number well enough if you have gpuz open long enough that you will skew the numbers cause they don't do much when just on the desktop, so it spent only 2% of the time with desktop usage for 98% of the time on unigine. For the proof of this test I put the desktop back to 2160p and ran the same test at 216p, usage jumps to 86% right off the bat. I thought that might be because I was running the test at 4k, so I keep the desktop at 4k and run the test at 1440p, gpu driver automatically resize the display and I get 90% gpu usage. temps all hit 92c across the board on the 4k run and only topped out at 87c across the board on the 1440p run, this was on the DCUII air coolers.

I'm not saying this happens to everyone, but I don't ever recall what the desktop resolution was for previous benchmarks.

Case in point. 3D Mark Sky Diver runs. Desktop set to 1440p. 6 Runs Comparison

Desktop set to 2160p: Top two are 2160p with 1440p desktop comparison, big difference when the XDMA engine thinks it can slow your card down.

I will test some more now that I have them underwater, but I was baffled for a couple of weeks why my graphics scores dropped but my gpu scores went up after changing the 4350 out for this 8320. now that I know the problem, my cards haven't throttled I don't get the best scores cause I run with all apps in the background on a full OS with all the pointless bells and whistles enabled.

Edit: Had to run the test at 1080p, the test I put up there was run at 4k, so that score was pretty decent if I say so myself, here is the 1080p score. Other things were running

CFXexample2.JPG

Last edited:
I downloaded that particular version of Heaven and ran it, I was getting the same severe drops in FPS at times. Best I could tell is when it transitions from one scene to the next it might be just long enough of a black screen for the GPU to think its ok to go into 2D power demand and that's causing the frame rate drop, I can see the stutter at some of/if not nearly all the scene transitions then it picks right back up to where it should be. Maybe there is a timing difference in screen transitions from the version I was posting earlier to this 4.0, I have seen it from time to time on the one I use, but not like 4.0 has.

Edit: Did some more research.

I tried to bypass the 2D 300Mhz clock by bumping it to GPU clock of 1050 see if that made a difference, no change, still have that crazy drop if FPS, must be some sort of driver issue with AMD tech, I was looking at benchmarks scores and it seems to be an across the board issue, AMD/AMD AMD/NVidia Intel/AMD Intel/NVidia all have that really low drop for some reason. Enough goofing around with that benchmark, I'm give myself a headache playin with it.

On to the next putzen project, might finally get around to grinding on some more plastic to make this new faceplate for my Aquaro 6XT fan/pump controller, but that sounds like work

Last edited:
I just ran the one from HWBot that they have for DL. I have the full version installed, and I don't get the screen that tells your score like they have listed under submission rules????
It say's that I'm supposed to have the score from Heaven, Cpu-Z 2x, and Gpu-Z in the screen shot that is submitted. If I do anything to drop Heaven out of full screen mode, everything is lost:(

I downloaded that particular version of Heaven and ran it, I was getting the same severe drops in FPS at times. Best I could tell is when it transitions from one scene to the next it might be just long enough of a black screen for the GPU to think its ok to go into 2D power demand and that's causing the frame rate drop, I can see the stutter at some of/if not nearly all the scene transitions then it picks right back up to where it should be. Maybe there is a timing difference in screen transitions from the version I was posting earlier to this 4.0, I have seen it from time to time on the one I use, but not like 4.0 has.

Edit: Did some more research.

I tried to bypass the 2D 300Mhz clock by bumping it to GPU clock of 1050 see if that made a difference, no change, still have that crazy drop if FPS, must be some sort of driver issue with AMD tech, I was looking at benchmarks scores and it seems to be an across the board issue, AMD/AMD AMD/NVidia Intel/AMD Intel/NVidia all have that really low drop for some reason. Enough goofing around with that benchmark, I'm give myself a headache playin with it.

On to the next putzen project, might finally get around to grinding on some more plastic to make this new faceplate for my Aquaro 6XT fan/pump controller, but that sounds like work

I have that same problem too in Heaven:(
The only way I have found around it, is use MSI AB and under settings change the *unofficial overclocking mode* from "With PowerPlay support" to "Without PowerPlay support". This will also override any settings that are in CCC and will become the default settings for CCC. So if you push your cards to hard and get a black screen or BSOD, you will not be able to boot back into windows. You will have to go under Safe Mode and UnInstall your card and then boot back to windows.

Hope this helps:)

PS: This will put your card constantly at the Core & Memory that you have entered in MSI AB.

Make sure that you don't have AB start with windows. That will usually work around that MM

I have now :)
After I ran into that problem and it took me an hour trying to think what I had done to bork windows:)

Anyone know if the thermal plugs (to plug in thermal sensors) are any good on the CH-V-FZ????

I also put pic's under my thread in the lounge if you don't mine to have a look Shawn:)

If they're the ones I think you're talking about they do work. I have seen others use them with a 2 pin sensor to monitor VRM temps. You can also get sensors with a 1/4" thread for your loop to monitor water temps. Personally I haven't used them.

I used the thermal sensors on my board for an idea of air temps inside the case, not sure how accurate they are (which might be more ont eh probe itself) but it seemed to work and was nice for awhile. Will MSI AB work with ASUS DCUII OCd cards? I'm still having all kinds of issues with GPUTweak causing a strange lock up, I can only assume it's a conflict with some software, which is another question.

Water cooling is awesome, I mean just awesome, I can't belive everyone isn't doing it. 14 fans running at different speeds is so much quieter than two gpus running at 70%. That and being able to tinker with pump speeds and fan speeds to make it even more quiet is just a pleasure, love twisting knobs and dials. don't ever tell me not to touch that, I just got to find out what it does now.

Water cooling is awesome, I mean just awesome, I can't belive everyone isn't doing it. 14 fans running at different speeds is so much quieter than two gpus running at 70%. That and being able to tinker with pump speeds and fan speeds to make it even more quiet is just a pleasure, love twisting knobs and dials. don't ever tell me not to touch that, I just got to find out what it does now.
:thup:

Water cooling is sweet. Gets better when you start thinking of other ways to cool the water. Like me and evap cooling :D

MSI AB ought to work just fine. The only card I couldn't use it with was my 270x - no voltage control.
That's where Sapphire Trixx comes in handy :)

I used the thermal sensors on my board for an idea of air temps inside the case, not sure how accurate they are (which might be more ont eh probe itself) but it seemed to work and was nice for awhile. Will MSI AB work with ASUS DCUII OCd cards? I'm still having all kinds of issues with GPUTweak causing a strange lock up, I can only assume it's a conflict with some software, which is another question.

Try an older version of GPU tweak if that's what you want to use try this one it works for me.
http://download1592.mediafire.com/lurwu9e1r99g/i6etw2g9khqixa1/GPUTweakVer2620_+20140422.zip

Thanks RGone it's fixed now.

Last edited:
I just found out over the weekend that the High School my boys graduated from have a CNC and metal brake in their metal shop. Both my boys and our practically living with us other friend are still in touch with the teacher thru other kids. Anyhow the teacher is always looking for projects to keep the kids busy. So I'm going to design in CAD a case very similar to the one linked below except wider to accommodate my 360 and my 240 rad. That is if he's willing to help out.

My plan Is to use my mATX with the PII 1090T and a 7970 in my custom loop. It should be more than enough cooling for a mild overclock.

EDIT: In short my 11th BDE Gamer with the 1090T, 7970 and my loop with the custom case.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1033-page1.html

Back