• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks everyone. I believe this to be a good to upper average chip. P95 Small FFT stable for 30mins at 4.8G @1.325v. Max core was 87c, max socket was 86c. That's right where I was hoping to be. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow night or Sunday to find my max OC under water with lets say 1.45v. To early to burn this one up. If she does well then I'll introduce her to some cold at Brian's torture room, maybe even try for that 6.0G.

View attachment 162980

Nice, I hope my 4690k is as good as the 4790k I just put in my main rig. It's sitting at 4.8 1.3v and haven't tried anything lower in volts or higher on clock yet

Yes the rad was in the freezer but I had already ran it foe more than an hour at that point so things were warming up. If I have some time this weekend I'll try the PSCheck method and see how running the cores individuall works out.

lol scotty.

So I've been watching my PSU take a dump. Looks to be a slow one. Today we came home from opening our camper up and 12v rail now reads 11.581v min and max 11.681v.

Should I worry about that? It's not a lot. But I remember this rail ALWAYS reading 12 and higher, never say 11.xxxv before.

Oh Antec CP series 850w. sig rig - http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=720&fid=235&lan=us Been in use 5 years now? roughly....

lol scotty.

So I've been watching my PSU take a dump. Looks to be a slow one. Today we came home from opening our camper up and 12v rail now reads 11.581v min and max 11.681v.

Should I worry about that? It's not a lot. But I remember this rail ALWAYS reading 12 and higher, never say 11.xxxv before.

Oh Antec CP series 850w. sig rig - http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=720&fid=235&lan=us Been in use 5 years now? roughly....
Keep an eye on it.

I believe 5% is the number most have been saying. That's right about where you are so I'd replace it sooner than later.

Guess the bench Supply is gonna move to the main rig.

EDIT post:

One more question... is it known for 32 bit windows 7 to read a little low. I'm running an older install that has a lot of stuff needed on it right now. Gah, I'll just pull the drive and swap 64 bit and see what I reads. Might have to get the multimeter out too f'it.

Trying to wrap my head around leaky chips.

Low VID = lower Vcore, high heat at low Vcore and higher Overclocks on air
High VID = higher Vcore, lower heat at low Vcore and lower Overclocks on air?

My FX 6300's VID is 1.3625......
That's high VID. Average I see is 1.25v, best being about 1.10v...

So I have a High VID chip, would that explain why I overheat at 1.5+ Vcore and others with lower VID overheat at 1.3 - 1.4 Vcore?
Perhaps if I can get this chip very cool under water I'll get high overclocks than a lower VID chip?

How can I put this.

Use cooler temps, get higher overclock with less voltage.

Run a hotter temp, use more voltage.

You'll encounter this when you finally get that liquid cooling going, but even at 1.5v, which you'll be trying to run knowing you..... Is going to eventually heat soak a lads loop.

It's not really about leakage and binning, Your's seems to look "average" for a user running air cooling.

And it's no big deal. You don't see many bragging 5ghz with ambient temps, there's a few guys here and there perhaps....

Mines stable 1.5250v and can run 4 cores without fear daily on my water loop. 2 more cores, 1.5v not 1.5250v and it overheats fails, workers and just can't hang. 8 cores can have my loop soaked in just about 1 hour running 4 rad fans and 8 rad fans push pull, still heat soak the loop in just 2 hours.

So it's not really a question of stability at 1.5v and 5.0ghz or anything of the similar, it's a question of can you add just a touch of chilling to make it actually possible.

Lemme use this FX-8350 for an example.

Running 2 cores and 1 40mm TEC liquid cooled.

AT 5024.79GHZ running only 1.356v.

TEMPS @ -7 to -2 socket and package remained at 0c.

I COULD NOT REPLICATE THIS WITH AMBIENT LIQUID COOLING - I did try.

Attachments

• FX-8350 2 cores X 5.0ghz 1.356v .png
    FX-8350 2 cores X 5.0ghz 1.356v .png
    140.5 KB · Views: 51
Good examples thanks :)

You mentioned something I did not think of...
Heat soaking my loop. I run the rig 24/7.....

So heating overtime is something I have to consider.
Overclock slowly over the course of a few days/hours then, allowing the loop to stabilize the heat.

Keep the CPU Multiplier low around 22 to 23 and raze the FSB, watch your V-Core voltage (is stable) it work for me.

Keep the CPU Multiplier low around 22 to 23 and raze the FSB, watch your V-Core voltage (is stable) it work for me.

Yep. 250 FSB is my max, gets way to unstable after that, and I can't seem to stabilize it.
I usually go for 240 FSB. That way I get 2400 NB and nearly DDR 2000.
Oddly enough, this chip doesn't like multipliers over 24 anymore. :-/
wants to fight if I set the multi to 24 or more.

Or 4.9Ghz+.
Hangs in the BIOS and requires me to flick the power switch on the PSU twice to reboot properly.
It saves the BIOS changes, it just doesn't reboot after making the changes. :shrug:

raise the CPU Voltage offset to 100% might help
?

Don't have that option in my BIOS....
If you are talking about Vcore, last time I tried heat was too great to overcome. (1.6+Vcore on ​air mind you. I'm not afraid of pumping the voltz!)
Hence my cutsom loop I am building :)

Back