• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unfortunately, those are idle temps.
Northern Maine has finally hit some decent summer weather.
registering 68 indoor here now 10:49 a.m. no a/c but windows utilized for venting.

Managed some improvements overall, besides dual gpu seems out for the crosshair V formula Z
Poor motherboard. :( ive abused her so over these 15 months or more.

did manage some tools etc....
also:
ek-dcp brushless pwm pump
Model: dcp 4.0 pwm

very nice small inline pump.
seems about best this end has seen yet.
fairly good deal on $$$'s

using vrm/nb waterblock.

also finally got lid on my ice chest as drilled holes for the mag drive pondmaster inside.
not sure could be holding extra heat with the lid/cover on the cooler.

also 2400mhz corsair kit 2 x 8gb ddr3 first attempt besides just switching out for diagnosing or debugging attempts.
usesd the crimper to get a strong tight connection on a pin that somehow worked its way out of the 24 pin mainboard connection from the evga p2 psu.

overall happy camper here.

and much thanks to Johan being more than patient me getting $$$'s to him in multiple payments.
not to mention the great price he accepted.

tks again.

Looking good though eagle. Yiou'll like the dhilled water just makes sure you protect against condensation.

I think my rads are black ice and an aqua something, I got the case and rads from atminside.
I run neked (barbs with no clamps) and having to move these in and out of the house because the little bee will only allow one at a time, well lets just say a rig or two have gotten a little wet in transit.
I have some compression fittings on the way from mandrake and some from another source so when I get the fittings and the new pump/res in I will get a pick or two.
I did get away to microcenter yesterday, they showed 8 or ten fittings in stock, but had only one, but just getting away from the shop for a bit was a good thing, the hot/fresh light was on at the krispy kream so I even got some of those wondermus fat pills while they were hot and sticky, so one of my projects today is to get all the yummy sticky out of my car!!!!!!

Been trying to tell you...... Heck you in CA bro. chilling should be simple.

Right now I checked temp difference between my area and yours. You 55f, My place already 70f at 9am.

Go for it man.
THIS^^^^^^^^

the hot/fresh light was on at the krispy kream so I even got some of those wondermus fat pills while they were hot and sticky, so one of my projects today is to get all the yummy sticky out of my car!!!!!!
I swear those things are dropped from the heavens...damn they are good!

Yeah Cinebench is tough SP, you'll get to a point that you're not going to be able to give it more volts without getting it a lot colder. If you have a window near by just stick the rad outside. Even the 13c temps outside will help.

Now, who built my loop with rock hard PEX??? :bang head

Man, I didn't plan for benching with this loop.
I'll have it ready before winter though ;)

Uber cold here I come! Let it snow!!!

Now, who built my loop with rock hard PEX??? :bang head

Man, I didn't plan for benching with this loop.
I'll have it ready before winter though ;)

Uber cold here I come! Let it snow!!!

I just picked up 4 feet of nylon tubing at Ace Hardware today along with a new desk lamp. Total was about 7$ for it all. The tubing is like 69 cents a foot here. Clear as well.

It's for to properly hand rads on my chiller cause as it is now, I have it butted up against the front of the case blowing on only 1 rad. SO it works like meh.

The chiller is simply a window unit AC I got at a garbage sale for like 15$ a few years back. It's nice cause in the winter, it cools the PC and warms the room at the same time instead of having it in a window.

At one time I used a dehumidifier and simply stuffed 2 rads between the evap and condensor rads. It worked rather well for a bit until I broke a line trying to remove the evap.

My buddy has a simliar AC unit that was converted into a SS unit. This is something I'd do for a daily rig personally, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Plenty of ways to make some colds happen.

Heck I could send you a TEC to play with even. It's good for having fun, not practical for daily use though, but yet is fun fun.

specs on that...

The TEC specifications at the bottom PDF.

TEC # 12715 Qmax of 136w - Temp difference (from cold side to hot) = Tmax 70c - 15v Max current. Max operating temp of 90c.

Was bencing 2 cores at 5400mhz with that little puppy, used tap to drain liquid cooling for the hot side of the TEC. Hit a max clock of 5600mhz+ and temps where going positive and was unable to bench really anything past pimod.

Dry Ice is cheap as heck man. Easily acquired as well. I pay 1.24$ us a pound for DICE. If this was practical, probably run a daily clock of 6ghz. Now a SS unit probably could produce this type of figure.

Any how, you have tons of COLD options to choose from. Just gotta pick one.

You'll also see that you can use far less voltage with chilling. Even with your volt hungry chip.

- - - Updated - - -

no go.
corsair dominator suggested 11 13 13 32 timings @ 2400mhz.....
will try other combos very soon.

My sig board defaults those timings at anything 1067mhz and up if left on auto. Memory flyz at 1300mhz (ddr3 2600) ;)

Corsair - CMY8GX3M2A2133C11 XMP = 1066mhz 11-11-11-31-42 1T 1.5000v

I just picked up 4 feet of nylon tubing at Ace Hardware today along with a new desk lamp. Total was about 7$ for it all. The tubing is like 69 cents a foot here. Clear as well.

It's for to properly hand rads on my chiller cause as it is now, I have it butted up against the front of the case blowing on only 1 rad. SO it works like meh.

The chiller is simply a window unit AC I got at a garbage sale for like 15$ a few years back. It's nice cause in the winter, it cools the PC and warms the room at the same time instead of having it in a window.

At one time I used a dehumidifier and simply stuffed 2 rads between the evap and condensor rads. It worked rather well for a bit until I broke a line trying to remove the evap.

My buddy has a simliar AC unit that was converted into a SS unit. This is something I'd do for a daily rig personally, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Plenty of ways to make some colds happen.

Heck I could send you a TEC to play with even. It's good for having fun, not practical for daily use though, but yet is fun fun.

specs on that...

The TEC specifications at the bottom PDF.

TEC # 12715 Qmax of 136w - Temp difference (from cold side to hot) = Tmax 70c - 15v Max current. Max operating temp of 90c.

Was bencing 2 cores at 5400mhz with that little puppy, used tap to drain liquid cooling for the hot side of the TEC. Hit a max clock of 5600mhz+ and temps where going positive and was unable to bench really anything past pimod.

Dry Ice is cheap as heck man. Easily acquired as well. I pay 1.24$ us a pound for DICE. If this was practical, probably run a daily clock of 6ghz. Now a SS unit probably could produce this type of figure.

Any how, you have tons of COLD options to choose from. Just gotta pick one.

You'll also see that you can use far less voltage with chilling. Even with your volt hungry chip.

I have been wondering about another rad... Nothing huge though. Maybe just a 120.1 thick rad to aid in the blackice 240 I have now..
I have about ~16C difference between water temps and ambient.

Also been wondering how effective running a TEC all day would be, having the block cool the hot side.
Heck, even been wondering about harvesting the extra heat this chip makes. Maybe have a cheap CPU block heat up something like a stirling engine? :screwy:

Dunno. If only I can find a way to run cool water all the time...

DICE is cheap but finding some and getting it to my house is tougher than one would think.
Though, I've never actually looked. Not fully bitten by the benching bug yet :p

silver, where you live I would think you could dig a deep hole and burry a bucket with a rad in it.

silver, where you live I would think you could dig a deep hole and burry a bucket with a rad in it.

I was thinking of this as well.
An aluminum box buried a foot or so under ground.

Add some foot long fins to the box to help dissipate the heat better.
Maybe skip the rad and have that box be my res/rad combo?
Only issue is running the tubing inside the house....

I was also thinking of a small TEC chiller loop.
I have 2 AGM batteries for those "sleeper" type 16 wheelers.
Make a solar panel or the turbine I want to build and those 2 batteries alone ought to power a TEC to chill the loop a bit.
Won't be sub-ambient temps, but 20C water sounds better than 40.5C like I have now :)

For a tec loop you need multiple tecs and two loops. IT's not power efficient. It is in fact that TECs can start fires as well. This type of set up needs to be closely watch... but doable.

The 126w TEC is hardly enough for 2 cores. You'd need about 200w 60mm or bigger right on the Cpu, but the Cpu is only 40mm so youwouldn't get all 200w cooling power on that cpu.... But could use larger tecs like that for a chiller loop. Custom water blocks yada yada.

It's not an easy venture. Not in any way shape or form. I've watched pro's give up on TEC loops.

Yeah it always looked too finicky to me. And you're right TECs aren't small enough in a high wattage that you'd need for an FX

TEC is total mistake for FX. You need double power TEC to be worth anything. If FX is 200W you need 400W TEC and 800W cooling power to get good results. Good luck finding something that will spread 800W fast enough from small TEC ( assuming you will find a small TEC this power ). Not to mention power usage.

To be honest, I've looked into cold plates. They use them for cooking and keeping food warm or cool. They can get very large, it would be easy to chill liquid with something like that. The pricing is a little high for my taste, but would be a neat project.

Something like this.... http://www.concessionsite.com/equip...0KQ5KeFmDfFKjSdGLCUU4bH777Sb0r8A4IxoCpK3w_wcB

probably just build the PC on/in it.

But as you can see, this is way out of the question in price range... at least for me. I've always had my eye out for something like this at garage sales and such.

why not get a window a/c unit and put the evaporater in a cooler of water and submerge your rad in the cooler of cold water or just pump from the cooler?

houses that use "heated slabs" instead of basement in cold climates, reversed as summer situation cooling dissipation from interior. just need to pump the fluid instead of oil fire to heat the liquid in the summer.

???

- - - Updated - - -

check your wallet on that!!
lol.

ShrimpBrime, memory boot into windows 2400mhz 1st attempt after reading your post and setting some of the timings to auto.
was previously attempting some of what I thought I knew.

lol.....

why not get a window a/c unit and put the evaporater in a cooler of water and submerge your rad in the cooler of cold water or just pump from the cooler?

That's a whole new ball game for me caddi. I'd have to read up on that. I imagine such a setup to be loud?

As for the TECs, I figured a 127w TEC would be enough to keep the water about room temps under load now?
TEC lop + my current loop anyways.

Cold water from TEC --> CPU --> Res --> Pump --> Rad --> TEC --> back to CPU.
Or perhaps, it's just as good to grab another 2 fan 140 rad?

Cause water freezes. Also with anti-freeze... that gels up and freezes also. It's good though, definately gets temps down and not a bad idea. But I've found air to air works just about as well with less to deal with.

houses that use "heated slabs" instead of basement in cold climates, reversed as summer situation cooling dissipation from interior. just need to pump the fluid instead of oil fire to heat the liquid in the summer.

???

- - - Updated - - -

check your wallet on that!!
lol.

ShrimpBrime, memory boot into windows 2400mhz 1st attempt after reading your post and setting some of the timings to auto.
was previously attempting some of what I thought I knew.

lol.....

Your welcome! :D

That's a whole new ball game for me caddi. I'd have to read up on that. I imagine such a setup to be loud?

As for the TECs, I figured a 127w TEC would be enough to keep the water about room temps under load now?
TEC lop + my current loop anyways.

Cold water from TEC --> CPU --> Res --> Pump --> Rad --> TEC --> back to CPU.
Or perhaps, it's just as good to grab another 2 fan 140 rad?

It's more like you need 3-5 tecs to chill liquid that's constantly being heated by the cpu. Then you fight the rads pulling cold off or adding heat on. However you want to look at it. The Rad would be used as a fail safe. TEC stops working, you at least can still dissipate. But again, the rad counters the effect of chilling liquid, you then chill the ambient air as well.

TECs aint easy to work with. They produce just as much heat as a Cpu and you need to dissipate that heat quickly for the TEC to be effective.

Oh... I thought with one TEC, the rad would "pre cool" the water before the TEC chills it more.

Dang...

Back