• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure I want to use GPU tweak, I'd rather find a way to flash the bios with OC freq. so it loads like that and don't need software to bump them up. Might have to look into that later. I did tear my new loop apart already :cry: apparently there was some sort of fiber, like lint gathering on the cpu block and slowin flow, was a nice 1.2gpm yesterday and was around 1.04gpm this morning then slowly dropped to .99gpm, found some plastic shavings in the GPU blocks and some sort of fiber, like lint in the CPU block packed nicely in the fins. :rain: Just ain't my day. Scrubbed it and increased flow to 1.5gpm at full bore so there was something wrong, .5gpm increase, that could of lead to a problem. I'm blaming my dad for doing laundry and the dry pushing lint in the air while I was filling the res a couple of days ago :thup:

I'm not sure I want to use GPU tweak, I'd rather find a way to flash the bios with OC freq. so it loads like that and don't need software to bump them up. Might have to look into that later. I did tear my new loop apart already :cry: apparently there was some sort of fiber, like lint gathering on the cpu block and slowin flow, was a nice 1.2gpm yesterday and was around 1.04gpm this morning then slowly dropped to .99gpm, found some plastic shavings in the GPU blocks and some sort of fiber, like lint in the CPU block packed nicely in the fins. :rain: Just ain't my day. Scrubbed it and increased flow to 1.5gpm at full bore so there was something wrong, .5gpm increase, that could of lead to a problem. I'm blaming my dad for doing laundry and the dry pushing lint in the air while I was filling the res a couple of days ago :thup:

>>> THIS <<< is the guide you want to flash your 290x ;)

I've done it 3 times to 3 GPU's, all work kosher. Actually, it's the only way to lower the minimum voltage I can set in Sapphire Trixx... (For when I was mining, I'd overclock and undervolt)

Finally got around to seeing how much room I have with this system, it's night and the AC is kickin'. I had a pretty stable 4.65 at 22x211 1.44 but darn temps would shoot up to 61 Package and start to jump up to 70 package. So I was thermally limited. I decided to see how far I could go with the same voltage on the FSB with 22 multi. Just a short test to see what temps looked like, I need more cool. Only a ten min test so far, but it's such an improvement on temps.

4.7 10min.jpg

Only 10min. into the run, but so far so good, might be some more room at this voltage, amazing how the cooler you get the cpu the more efficient it is with voltages. I doubt I could 4.7 stable on 1.44v with that poor lil H100i.

^^^^:rofl:^^^^^^

I have a custom loop and was able to get my 2nd gen (I got it at x-mas) 8320 to 5.5 @1.6V :) My 1st gen (I got it when they first came out) 8320 will hit 5.0 @ 1.7V :( that is why I have ordered the Dice pot, to help out my CPU side :)

Now that you have STARTED DOWN THE DARK PATH :thup: there is no turning back. :popcorn:

t1nm4n, I have a couple of those thermal sensors working on my asus crosshair v formula z. seem good here.
I'm using the g1/4 coupler kind.

I would love a dice pot. and more water cooling. of course.

I had to take a break from Slax install etc...
compression and command line interface refresher.
4 port Ethernet not arrive yet, not expected until tomorrow or Wednesday. possibly longer wait.

annual apartment inspection tomorrow.

all is good! better than great!

Thank for the kind words :mad: , :rofl:, more like a challenge :bang head , now you've gone and done it. I'm have to hit 5.5 somehow (I'll settle on 5.0 for now). I can't even get that 4.7 stable :rain:, not sure what's happening, but the system freezes randomly. I have an idea, but most of you would laugh at me for it, so I will let your imaginations run wild as to why :D I'll get there somehow, not sure I have the best piece of silicone to do it though. :-/ OK OK, I been folding and watching Netflix while running P95 for stability, that might cause some issues :sly:

for water temp probes I'm using some g1/4 plug style, can't remember the brand, they seem pretty accurate, accurate enough at least. I can say I wish I had gotten into water cooling years ago, this is so much more fun, granted the first night I couldn't get to sleep, every noise sounded like water dropping inside a PC case :confused: :shrug:

Random freezing is likely CPU_NB or ram related. maybe give the CPU_NB voltage a bit of a bump. I found in my experience that as the CPU speeds up a bit more voltage is required even when it stays at the same frequency. You also have 16Gb of ram so that works the IMC harder as well.

58*C on your package @ 4.7. I would have thought your pool would post a bit better. Nice job from what I have seen so far.

Those UT60 rads? They are pretty good rads I would think your temps should be a bit lower with 2 X 480 rads. My loops temps @ 5.1 is up around there mind you I just have the CPU + NB / VRM under water but then again I only have 360 + 240 of Black Ice GTX I don't really know how big an impact that R9 290 has on your temps. Ambient temps making a difference, maybe I'll have to make a run tonight for a comparison. Might just be this heat today is getting to me.

Last edited:
I was thinking the temps might be a bit lower, only thing I can think is I don't have enough air flow over them, one set of fans only spins at 1680 while the other spins at 1790, I used different wire for the fan cables, that might be part of it, will have to make another 4 into 1 cable and see if that solves the issue. Could be that I didn't make the bottom one long enough and had to use a jumper and that's causing the reduced voltage to the fans :shrug: Didn't think a 6in ext. would lose that much power or choke it enough to drop 100 rpm.

@bass They the UT60, they are massive, it's a choir to move the thing around gettin the air out, lol, never dawned on me that water-cooling would be such a workout :shock: I have run the 290's overnight and they really do get the water temp up, I can't hardly get water temps up when just pushin on the cpu alone. I'm pretty sure I got the right TIM application, used prolimatech pk3, much harder to spread than as5. That NB/VRM cooler is night and day difference that just a fan.

@Johan, thanks for the reminder, RGone tried his darndest to get that through to me, I believe you have mentioned this before also, I'm telling you I must suffer from sum-timers.

I did find a stable 4.6 with only multiplier, I think you might be Right Johan I'm pushin too hard on the CPU_NB with 16g and tryin to get as close to that 2133 the ram is rated for doin a multy and fsb combo OC, I should just lower ram an play with settings to get the performance I'm looking for, but first things first, getting this puppy to 5ghz.

stable4.6.jpg

Edit: random thought and posted wrong pic no loaded temps. :screwy:

How much does the 1t 2t or 7.8ns 3.9ns setting affect performance or overclockability? I'm running 1t 3.9 could this be putting more stress than needed on the PCU_NB?

Last edited:
Thank for the kind words :mad: , :rofl:, more like a challenge :bang head , now you've gone and done it. I'm have to hit 5.5 somehow (I'll settle on 5.0 for now). I can't even get that 4.7 stable :rain:, not sure what's happening, but the system freezes randomly. I have an idea, but most of you would laugh at me for it, so I will let your imaginations run wild as to why :D I'll get there somehow, not sure I have the best piece of silicone to do it though.

Random freezing is likely CPU_NB or ram related. maybe give the CPU_NB voltage a bit of a bump. I found in my experience that as the CPU speeds up a bit more voltage is required even when it stays at the same frequency. You also have 16Gb of ram so that works the IMC harder as well.

Do not forget that the L3 Cache runs at the NB speeds. (Unless they changed that for FX 8xxx) I can't run over 2350 stable at all. It's not the RAM I've tested for that. It's the L3 cache holding my NB back.

Freezing randomly? Sounds familiar, that's because I get that above 4.7 Ghz. I have found that loads of Vcore can't solve that after a certain point. What does solve it? Cooling.

Tips to save Vcore: Set the VDDA (PLL) voltage to 2.8 can let you reduce vcore a notch, keep the CPU NB v as low as you can, and lower FSB usually means less Vcore required.

You have more raddage than me by far and yet we both are stuck with the same issue at the same clocks basically. Only differences you have an 8core monster and I have a 6core being fed massive volts. I would figure you would have better temps than I.... :confused:

Getting 5Ghz stable is a chore in itself lemme tell you. You will probably need more vcore than AMD wants you to give a CPU based on your Vcore now.
I tried the golden 5Ghz, lets say that I don't want to run 1.8 volts daily.

It seems to me that most people only run 8g or two sticks when overclocking, this probably hurts me more than anything trying to push 4 sticks at higher clocks than I should. :(

I didn't originally get this pc to overclock. I quickly found AMD is no longer in any sort of shape to keep up with Intel for gaming, so thus the overclocking, then the curiosity to see how much I can push this beast :p you guys are bad for my bank account, lol. Nah it's all on me, if I didn't have the gene that makes me want to tinker I would of just left things stock and been disappointed in this system.

In other words it's off to the races and we shall see how hard I'm willing to push my machine before it starts to fight back and I give up or it breaks, preferably I give up.

t1nm4n, the cheapest thing to do now is likely just to order an FX-8350. D*mn good fans seem to be $20.00 Usd apiece and that is not funny. I expect it maybe the pulling air thru the rads and not pushing it thru.

RGone...

Northern Maine temps have finally caught up.
lol...

2 indoor battery thermometer's and humidity gauges.

1st on exterior door. temp 81f humidity 53%
2nd on frig door. temp 79f humidity 51%

just kinda idling around.

still need to work at live cd on usb/ram/hdd as slax router.
I'm not enjoying this.
lol....

t1nm4n, the cheapest thing to do now is likely just to order an FX-8350. D*mn good fans seem to be $20.00 Usd apiece and that is not funny. I expect it maybe the pulling air thru the rads and not pushing it thru.

RGone...

But but but I got an 8320, lol.

These fans are moving some air, I mean it's not cool in the house during the daytime, poorly insulated foundation cracks causing cracks around windows letting hot air in and old windows that have less than no r-value, unlike a lot of newer windows with uv film to block the rays form heating up material the light hits. I mean it can get upwards of 28-19c in this room when the morning sun starts to bake this room, towards late afternoon the sun is on the otherside of the house and this room starts to cool, at night it gets into the comfy 23c region.

If I went with more fans or more powerful fans (IE Higher CFM rating at a given pressure) I might get closer to ambient but increase noise. It's not bad on the ambient, depending on how much heat I'm putting in the loop it can be anywhere from 1c to 5c above ambient. Just pushing the cpu it's only 1c above ambient (ambient calculated from 3 sensors placed near intake fans and no heat sources).

I haven't given up on this CPU just yet, gonna see what it can do.

RGone...

Those UT60's ...... they are a pretty low FPI rad, I have 2 on my Intel system. They are not the the double row high fin density of the Black Ice like I have on the FX rig the unfortunate part these rads need GOOD fans. With good fans like I run 3 X AP45(2150) 2 X AP29 (3000rpm) I ran out of AP45's I can run this very quiet when turned down and they still cool abut can crank it when needed. Yes new AP45's from Dazmode are $23 Canadian now. The UT60 doesn't need as good a fan, I think they are only 9FPI rads though they are one of the best LOW FPI rad you can get now which surprised me when I seen tinmans temps.

@ Tinman ...... I noticed something in your last post that could make a big difference. You mentioned 290's as in plural, if you have a couple of those heat mongers then that will explain some of your temps. From your captures I only seen 1 R9 290 listed and assumed there was only one. Just out of curiosity what fans are you running on those rads?

@bass These puppies. I'm pretty sure they are adequate, just the rpms are different for each set of 4, I only have one rpm signal for each set. Only way to check what they are running at would be a timing light Not pulling it apart to get to the lower rad, I mean it's moving air. Even at lower speeds I can tell it's moving air, played with different rpms to see how it affects water temps in relation to loads to get this aquaero to ramp up fans and pump speeds without user input.

Tinkering is the name of the game.

Those fans should be more then adequate and are considered good fans.

Is it one or two 290's in your loop.

^^^How True^^^^ How True^^^^^^

A small TIP:) This obsession that you have now, might cost some $$$$$ :rofl:

You have listed a Corsair H100 for cooling your cpu. If you slap a cpu block, Black Ice 360 Nemesis GTX, 3 x 120 x 38mm Delta's (http://www.performance-pcs.com/delta-afb1212ghe-cf00-120x38mm-grand-high-speed-fan-sleeved.html), and a good pump - you would be set:)
I can tell you that those fans can blow papers off a desk @ 15 feet when held in your hand :)

I got two UT60 480 Alphacool rads with 4 of those fans in pull in a single loop with an mcp35x2 pumpin water through 2 ek 290 blocks a vrm/nb cpu block and cpu block, I have failed to update sig, I should do that now. I just ran into a problem while talkin with RGone and had to flash the bios, messed with ram too much and it wouldn't do anything but lock up when I started p95. I think this is a good thing actually, get to start over and maybe do it right this go around with more information than I had before hand, and a lil more knowledge.

Back