• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Was wondering that myself.....

Benching can be quite expensive in some cases hence my thread way back asking why people bench anyway.
ZL1 summed it up nicely:

Agreed. There's some trickery involved as well.

Wanna good Pi run, you want to NLite your OS down to bare minimum. Install only the drivers and software you need and bench it as many times as needed to get that score your looking for.

A sport it is indeed. But no one is sponsoring any of us here..... our jobs and hard work does that part :D

To me that's the fun of it. Not only beating others scores (including team mates) but your own as well. That's how one gets better IMHO. I've learned a bunch in the few years I've been doing this and I know I have alot more to learn still.

That's how it is for me.
I don't own too many golds vs others on my team since I don't have either the time or $$ to bench to that extent but I do make what I do count. As for competition I know it's out there and I do seek it with the goal of being #1 when all is said and done...... It's one of the things that drives me and I do enjoy the competition.
I could be ranked much higher period with more golds than I have but as Shrimpy said, life has more meaning than the bot and I'm not going to miss it all with my face glued to a screen watching a run go down while it passes by.
In my shoes I'm just thankful to still be able to compete vs what could have been.

I have on occasion faced "Burnout" from doing this and sometimes the thought of getting out of it just crosses my mind... Then I'm over it (So far) - That's when I know it's time to take a break and find something else to do.
Unlike Mr. Scott or Shrimpy I don't worry about comps so much since in the end I currently don't have what I'd need to remain competitive - "Remain" being the operative here but I could shake things up if I want. I could jump in the OC Sports arena and take on others in the Div IV part and even be competitive but I'm just not ready for all of that yet. I know what's out there and would be wasting my time in trying it knowing the LN2 guys are waiting. I do well enough with DICE but there's no comparison vs LN2 with that.

Comps such as the Summer BBQ I love doing and I've had fun seeing how I stack up vs the guys here. :salute:

Now..... Anyone that wants a piece of my 165, you know where to find it.... :D

LOL, Most of the benching I do is for the monthly fun comps here. I've tried to get involved with a few of the CP comps too but didn't have the hardware to do so. As Shrimp has mentioned budget is generally the deciding factor on whether I pick up some older hardware or not. It seems lately I've had less disposable income as I've been stuck on 40 hours for the last 2 years.

That Div IV is mine this time damnit! At least I want it to be. Getting ready for the end of the week. I have Friday off and thursday after work I'm visiting the magic juice store to stock up. I'm not quite to the point of been there done that. Still riding the wave and hope to beat some people in particular. Just to say i did. After that Don't know but I always have fun with it. I guess when It's not so fun I'll slow down but that hasn't happened yet.

been putzing around with this.
went right for 5.0 at first, but couldnt get that stable quick and easy, so slowly working my way up.
its been running for 15 minutes at this point, seems somewhat stable, although temps are on the higher side of things.
havent been playing around with voltages too much, just set the NB volts to 1.25v, cpu vcore to 1.49v, ram volts to 1.5v, and all timings set for the ram.
View attachment 165326 4.8ghz 15 mins.JPG

Looks like you are at about the top as far as temps go. Quick and easy doesn't work very well when overclocking. Your best bet is raising the multi or FSB testing and adding volts to accommodate failures. What setting are you using for the Cpu LLC?

yeah, realized that after trying and failing at the 5.0 mark.
and for LLC, i have it set at Ultra high.
this is the first AMD overclock i have done in some time, most of my overclocking success has been with an e8400, and a qx9650, so quick and easy always worked there, thought i would give it a try here too. quickly found it didnt work!
been working my way back up here, 4.5 was done with everything at stock volts(~1.3v), been cranking on the volts to get it past there.

With most chips and speaking of my Fx 8350 in particular, at some point the amount of volts needed to get the next 100 mhz is silly. It will seem you keep adding and adding voltage and it's not doing a thing. I run 4.7 daily because of this exact reason, the voltage jump for me to get to 4.8 was a lot and I just didn't see why I needed that extra 100 mhz for that much voltage. First thing I see in your SS is where you're running your Nb Freq at. I personally like to have mine at 2600 as well as the Ht Link which is stock at 2600. That said you may want to try and find your max Oc first before you start raising the Nb Freq as it may require a bump or two in Cpu Nb voltage. A few of us have also found raising the Cpu Nb voltage to help stabilize and or help reach high Oc's, note that raising it will also increase your temps. My 8350 in particular needs 1.3875 Cpu Nb freq to run my ram at or above 1866 Mhz with the Nb freq at 2600. There is a lot of trial and error with these chips when you really start stepping on them. Keep good notes of what you are changing, because eventually you will get lost and it will help you find your way. I have also found finding a lower "stable" oc before pushing further is helpful and can keep the frustrations at a minimum. What I will usually do when trying for high stable Oc's is push to something like 4.5 then try to find stability by passing 2 hours of prime blend. Once I have then try pushing further. I say all this with a daily oc in mind, if you are just looking to see how far it will go then just keep pushing. :D

ah, i just had NB freq and HT link on auto, wasnt sure what to do with them.
definately trying to find my daily OC
and crazy how much wattage this thing starts pulling from my ups when i turn prime on. pulls like 250w more than it does when it idles (240w at idle, nearly 500w with prime going)

ah, i just had NB freq and HT link on auto, wasnt sure what to do with them.
definately trying to find my daily OC
and crazy how much wattage this thing starts pulling from my ups when i turn prime on. pulls like 250w more than it does when it idles (240w at idle, nearly 500w with prime going)

Haha!! I know the feeling. Mine does that at stock. For real crazy power consumption.

Then people start to wonder.... "Why won't my rig just be cool stable and run 5+ ghz??"

Never the less you got some good Cpu speed. You can aim for better stability running this chip at 2200mhz NB and 2200mhz HT you'll never see anything overclocking these unless your picking at numbers while benchmarking. That said, CPU speed matter first and foremost, looks like you hit the nail on the head there!!

Haha!! I know the feeling. Mine does that at stock. For real crazy power consumption.

Then people start to wonder.... "Why won't my rig just be cool stable and run 5+ ghz??"

Never the less you got some good Cpu speed. You can aim for better stability running this chip at 2200mhz NB and 2200mhz HT you'll never see anything overclocking these unless your picking at numbers while benchmarking. That said, CPU speed matter first and foremost, looks like you hit the nail on the head there!!

been playing around a little more, turned up the NB, and the HT Link both up to 2600. 2600 is actually max option for HT Link, NB has loads more options i could choose, but for now i'll go with 2600.
turned up the NB volts a bit, got it at 1.3 now, and i've been 20 minutes prime stable sofar.
temps havent changed at all to my slower NB speeds.
and im looking now, its actually pulling 520w from the wall now!

been playing around a little more, turned up the NB, and the HT Link both up to 2600. 2600 is actually max option for HT Link, NB has loads more options i could choose, but for now i'll go with 2600.
turned up the NB volts a bit, got it at 1.3 now, and i've been 20 minutes prime stable sofar.
temps havent changed at all to my slower NB speeds.
and im looking now, its actually pulling 520w from the wall now!

2600mhz is actually a stock HT frequency. But it's way overkill. Always has been even when 1.8 and 2.0 was stock. Plenty of bandwidth, unless your running Tri-Fire or SLI, you'll never use it all up any ways.

But this Proper tweaking, that HT may be able to run 3ghz and be stable.

Personally I'd look into lowering the cpu temps maybe just 5-10c or in between.

Good show!!

is there any way to use turbo core while overclocked?
i set it up in the bios, and cpu-z shows the multi as what i set turbo core to in the bios, but it never actually boosts up to the higher clock speed..

From what I read Turbo cores has built in algorithms (parameters is you will) it has to meat to boost up. In my case the 8320 has a couple of levels above the stock 3.5 towards it's turbo of 4.0. When I played with it at stock I never saw it go to 4.0, just hang at 3.7 so it would take some extreme cooling or tweaking to figure out the settings that allow turbo to kick in.

On a side note, I figured I would come in here and play with the big boys some, see if I am accepted or run off like scavenging mongrel (that's a good title for me I think :shrug:) SO taking the things I've learned (mostly force fed by more knowledgeable folk) I decided to start to work at squeezing each last drop out of this poor cooler of mine. I disabled took my known good 4.6 at 1.43125 23x200 and kept the V drop multy and raise FSB to 22x210. 10 or so into prime95 it seems to be running cooler than with straight multy OC, that 3200000 and 1800000 iteration is a heat generating one. Temps shortly get close to max, then as they finish the heating iterations they drop to a more reasonable level, so there is some room, I don't fear a slight raise in temp, so long as it levels out or drops for different calculation modes. Here's where I'm at right now.

4.6at1.43125 22x210 start.JPG

I think I might be able to squeeze 4.7 from this cooler.

The average Joe running these Fx 8xxx/9xxx chips do not realize what kind of power these things need when pushed. This is why low end motherboards need not apply. A while back when I was benching my 8350 with another power hog, my Gtx 580 Lightning I was having problems with my system just completely shutting off mid test. When I finally realized I was hitting the over current protection in my Seasonic X 650 and put a 1000w Psu in the system I saw this, after hooking up my Kill O watt meter 827w from the wall. :shock:

wattage.PNG

That 580 was NVidias attempt at creating a portable nuclear power plant degaussing rod while playing some Skyrim I guess. That's insane though from just 2 components your drawing nearly 1Kw. I think I might be able to do that with the 8320 and two 290Xs.

That 580 was NVidias attempt at creating a portable nuclear power plant degaussing rod while playing some Skyrim I guess. That's insane though from just 2 components your drawing nearly 1Kw. I think I might be able to do that with the 8320 and two 290Xs.

Haha no lie about that 580 man. But the 480 was worse I think. Great cards though. Liquid cooling is a must!

Back