• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
-1* C according to the weather network ...... you can probably take 2 or 3*C more off that. Supposed to be cooler tomorrow morning but I won't be home to take advantage.

Wow! That sounds so fun! Great experiment. Has anyone tried using a backup pump/heatsink/radiator/reservoir in MUCH colder outdoor temps using an antifreeze coolant? For example, where I am (and likely where bassnut is) it is not uncommon to reach temperatures of -25*C. I'm just ignorant of this practice and it sounds like a fun thing to try this winter when it gets cold.

lots of people throw a rad out the window.
I just put the rig in the bed of my pickup in the garage that way I don't have to do all the prep work, I just bring it in and let it warm and dry for 24 hours.

Wow! That sounds so fun! Great experiment. Has anyone tried using a backup pump/heatsink/radiator/reservoir in MUCH colder outdoor temps using an antifreeze coolant? For example, where I am (and likely where bassnut is) it is not uncommon to reach temperatures of -25*C. I'm just ignorant of this practice and it sounds like a fun thing to try this winter when it gets cold.
There are a few of us that have benching loops setup so we can put a rad outside and get the water down to ambient outside temps. I've seen -15c water temps on my rig and do have my boards prepped for condensation and such. One also needs to run some sort of antifreeze in the mix or it will freeze pretty quickly in the rad.

There are a few of us that have benching loops setup so we can put a rad outside and get the water down to ambient outside temps. I've seen -15c water temps on my rig and do have my boards prepped for condensation and such. One also needs to run some sort of antifreeze in the mix or it will freeze pretty quickly in the rad.

Please forgive my ignorance, as there's SO much reading on this forum I'm taking in right now... I'm not aware of all the experiments people have already tried. That being said, I like to experiment with subterranean heating and cooling. Has anyone experimented with High Flow fittings on a "high flow" water block and pumped coolant straight from buried pipe, using the earth as a massive heat sink? I would imagine if you could keep the hoses connected to the water block, a guy could pump serious volume of coolant at a CONSTANT, never wavering 12.2*C. Being that the earth would act as the "radiator" it would be cheap to make it as large as a person wanted. I think if I were to actually do it, I'd run two different loops, one near the surface for colder temps during the winter, and one deep down for lowest possible summer temps. Fun stuff.

You got lots of rad now! It's oc time!
lol hasn't shipped yet, though est. delivery time is December 1st :thup:

Looking at Yate loons right now for it. Might start with 3 mediums in push, and add 3 more later for push+pull

Kyle go with the high speeds. You can always slow them down with voltage or MB settings. You can not speed up mediums. Jmo.

What about corsair SP fans? Quite high static pressure, I have 2 AF120's here and they are nice and quiet.

I can only find the low speed yates in Canada... Trying to keep the search north of the border to keep costs low :-/
D12SL-12's are what Dazmode has, and they are 1350RPM. According to this review on the RX360, 1350 wouldn't be so bad..

The SP120's are very good rad fans, they just cost more but looked much better. If you include shipping cost and they're even close I'd get the Corsair personally.

The SP120's are very good rad fans, they just cost more but looked much better. If you include shipping cost and they're even close I'd get the Corsair personally.
Canada computers only had 2 yes, two fans :facepalm:

At least, in the Barrie store.. So I had my mother buy me 3 Yate Loon high's with white LED's for my Christmas present :D
Oh, and here's a coupon code for 10% off at Performance-PC's for Cyber Monday: CYBER15-10 Works today though 'cause I just used it. :thup:

I can also use the Tribewerk fan cable extenders I have from Bassnut to hook the Loons up to certain headers, which will let me control them all via Saberkitty's BIOS too!

I noticed that last time I was there. They have a terrible fan selection unless you want something quiet.

Kingston store is the same. The big store in Ottawa on Merivale RD was not bad but I think Canada Computer got rid of allot of their fans. Believe it or not they had carried stock of GT15 Typhoons at one time.

They did carry PWM fan extentions at one time I took a look for you SP couldn't find them on their website but doesn't surprise me, their site sucks. If you are near them might be a good idea to check.

I just remembered some one has boxes of fans. He wouldn't happen to have some High speed, high volume ones now would he? Like 120mm x 38mm 3000 +rpm

Yes..... I do have 2 X Ultra Kaze 3000rpm screamers I had on an H70AIO I suppose if I looked a little harder I could find 6 X GT29 3000rpm Typhoons and 1 X GT45 2100Rpm 3 X NZXT 2 X Corsair 4 X Bit Fenix 2 X Cooler Master a couple Sickle flow and probably another dozen or so various 120mm fans + various 140mm and 200mm fans. That's about 30 odd fans in that box plus a few fan frame spacers and there might be more in cases laying around, didn't think of that last night. Like I said Canada Computer in Ottawa had a decent collection back then.

Yes I went through them last night to see what I could match up for SP and PM'd him. With the exception of the GT's and Bit Fenix which I'm hanging on to I matched up about 10 for him though it would have been a hodge-podge of fans I couldn't match 6 identical fans. He had already ordered.

Yeah, got the order completed at PPCs then read bassnut's PM :bang head

Still have to thank you for digging though your giant arse fan box :thup:
I'll need fans for the server once I get off my rear and figure out why it doesn't play with 4Gb of RAM anymore.

Something to do with the BIOS I bet. Getting microcode errors on it.

Back