• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good examples thanks :)

You mentioned something I did not think of...
Heat soaking my loop. I run the rig 24/7.....

So heating overtime is something I have to consider.
Overclock slowly over the course of a few days/hours then, allowing the loop to stabilize the heat.

Yes very much consider. Very much consider 120.2 x2 rads at the very least with 8 rad fans with push pull config or go more rad for less fans.

For instance and example the heat .... the FX-9590 outputs every bit of 220w on a load. It may not CONSUME 220w of electricity, but the heat output is definately there. Figuring most average cooling setups can handle roughly 250 - 300w dissipation. In Lumens that is one heck of a bright light bulb.

So yea, heat soaking a loop and a small un-ventilated room.... It's just disaster.

For short runs and quick overclocking and hitting big numbers water is the way to go. But it's not exactly an end all to heat issues.

As you seen demonstrates with a simple TEC, Cool produces nice low voltage. If it was liquid nitrogen, access of 2.050v isn't really that much when you think in terms of that 7-8ghz clock speed. In theory, with ambient temps, I'd need more like 2.250v or better.

I do know however that you can get good response from a bucket of ice water. You should try it sometime. 5.5ghz should be NP at all.

Yep. 250 FSB is my max, gets way to unstable after that, and I can't seem to stabilize it.
I usually go for 240 FSB. That way I get 2400 NB and nearly DDR 2000.
Oddly enough, this chip doesn't like multipliers over 24 anymore. :-/
wants to fight if I set the multi to 24 or more.

Or 4.9Ghz+.
Hangs in the BIOS and requires me to flick the power switch on the PSU twice to reboot properly.
It saves the BIOS changes, it just doesn't reboot after making the changes. :shrug:

That happens when the board thermally shuts down. Must shut down PSU and wait till I/O power clears. Could take 60 sec on some boards.

Flash Gordon Temp spikes. Sssh don't tell any one but I've done it to the sig rig once. (note to self 1.65v is a no go)

Yes very much consider. Very much consider 120.2 x2 rads at the very least with 8 rad fans with push pull config or go more rad for less fans.

For instance and example the heat .... the FX-9590 outputs every bit of 220w on a load. It may not CONSUME 220w of electricity, but the heat output is definately there. Figuring most average cooling setups can handle roughly 250 - 300w dissipation. In Lumens that is one heck of a bright light bulb.

So yea, heat soaking a loop and a small un-ventilated room.... It's just disaster.

For short runs and quick overclocking and hitting big numbers water is the way to go. But it's not exactly an end all to heat issues.

As you seen demonstrates with a simple TEC, Cool produces nice low voltage. If it was liquid nitrogen, access of 2.050v isn't really that much when you think in terms of that 7-8ghz clock speed. In theory, with ambient temps, I'd need more like 2.250v or better.

I do know however that you can get good response from a bucket of ice water. You should try it sometime. 5.5ghz should be NP at all.

That happens when the board thermally shuts down. Must shut down PSU and wait till I/O power clears. Could take 60 sec on some boards.

Flash Gordon Temp spikes. Sssh don't tell any one but I've done it to the sig rig once. (note to self 1.65v is a no go)
/me wonders if the rad I have is enough for 4 cores of heat.... hmmm.
But I'm hoping with the loop bringing better temps will come lower Vcore. :)

Also I have no thermal shutdowns set besides the built in VRM protection. It doesn't shutdown though, just gets stuck in the BIOS. Even if I only change the multiplier to get 4.9+Ghz. :shrug:
I just ignore it, and laugh. This rig has "character":p
do you have (load line control) enable, not auto,
try that. just trying to help
Oh yeah, LLC is @ Extreme all the time :)

TBH the board is inferior to the Sabertooth. I know that, you know that everyone knows that.
Saberkitty is in the future some time, when? I dunno.

Point being with LLC @ extreme the voltage swings are... less than impressive let's say.
I set 1.56 in the BIOS and I idle at 1.536, and get 1.552 under load spiking as high as 1.568 :p

Chip doesn't mind though, keeps on chugging.

@SP ....... this is how Asrock setts it's LLC your gigabyte board will have a slightly different terminology ....... same idea though.

So the "CPU Voltage Offset" LRG5 mentioned is really just LLC?'
If so, it's at extreme. No other setting except regular and auto.

OOOH I'm getting excited, I think that 8.0G is getting close I can feel it. SDid some putzen with the new bits and gavr PSCheck a serious try. On my "unusual" cooling of chilled water I hit a whopping 6124 on core #5 with the 9370/ CHVF http://valid.canardpc.com/f7wtgg

6124.JPG

Nice, I would love to witness an 8G run next month!

Update on my 4790k - Here's the progression walking up the hertz ladder. (just CPU validation)

up to ...4.9G @ 1.300v
...........5.0G @ 1.375v
...........5.1G @ 1.425v
...........5.2G @ ??? Somewhere above 1.45v

We'll find out in May. Looks like it could be a 6G chip. Any opinions?

Nice blaylock! That's decent as for 6G play nice with it now and wait for cooling. Only one way to find out.

Thx. I'm not gonna push more on ambient. IF I get some spare time before the get together (everybody laugh together now) I'll pick up some DICE and get a better idea how it'll react to cold. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna keep this one, which means cold is inevitable.

Thx. I'm not gonna push more on ambient. IF I get some spare time before the get together (everybody laugh together now) I'll pick up some DICE and get a better idea how it'll react to cold. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna keep this one, which means cold is inevitable.
Get that thing on Ice Blaylock lets see what it will do!!!!

OOOH I'm getting excited, I think that 8.0G is getting close I can feel it. SDid some putzen with the new bits and gavr PSCheck a serious try. On my "unusual" cooling of chilled water I hit a whopping 6124 on core #5 with the 9370/ CHVF http://valid.canardpc.com/f7wtgg

Inquire if I may.... But how did you get cpu-z to read core 5? I thought it only read from core 0?

Other than that, it's the highest clocks I've seen on a water loop. Good job Johan!!

8 ghz. You can do it! I can't, I might could be able too... But I'm running it for a daily rig. Just love it too much to break the beast as of yet! LOL.

@Blaylock

That's a 6ghz chip all day buddy. Just needs some really cold lovins ;)

I hopest at no wun brakes air'shett afore duh cold luvin in a few...sum vary phast type pcu's I seen runnen.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

View attachment 163031

Nice chip. Maybe you finally found what you are looking for :)

Nice, I would love to witness an 8G run next month!

Update on my 4790k - Here's the progression walking up the hertz ladder. (just CPU validation)

up to ...4.9G @ 1.300v
...........5.0G @ 1.375v
...........5.1G @ 1.425v
...........5.2G @ ??? Somewhere above 1.45v

Usually is much higher step above ~5.1-5.2GHz but I hope I'm wrong in this case as your chip looks really good.

My best 4790K was like:
4.8GHz ~1.27V fully stable
4.9GHz ~1.3V
5.0GHz ~1.37V
5.1GHz ~1.45V
5.8GHz ~1.7V on dice , I bet it would make 6GHz+ 1.7V on LN2 ... but it died in a weird way running on stock clocks on water cooling.

Get that thing on Ice Blaylock lets see what it will do!!!!

I really hope I can find the time. We're in the process of listing our house for sale and trying to thin the house down to just the essentials to make it more presentable. It's truly amazing how much crap you amass in 10 years. :facepalm:

Back