• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Crimson Server Desk Module

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking good man!

Yeah if those bits of metal are painted the same black, it would blend in real nice! :D

Hi Everyone,

Today I started painting bits and pieces.

89.JPG

While those dried out I figured I´d get started on the front, while not pictured I had already taken care of paiting the exposed wood colour bits (except where the switches go as those would be completely covered aniway. So, the first and only thing I had ready to be installed is the controller. Being this a server, it only seemed right to use the Lamptron CM615 for remote access (through my main PC) on the same LAN.

90.JPG

91.JPG

92.JPG

Originally I was going to make some mounts for the frontal devices but figured It would just mean more visible screws so instead I opted to use hot glue instead. So went ahead and mounted the lamptron.

93.JPG

94.JPG

Nice fit :)

Now that the painted bits where dry I figured I´d mount them (note the little detail on the X-Fi, same as the HDDs).

95.JPG .

96.JPG

97.JPG

Figured I´d put the back in place to see how it looks (note that the screws of the M-ATX mount are not in place on the back, this is because I´m not finished with the back, they are on the ITX mount because if you remember it´s two pieces rather than just one.

98.JPG

Following the theme, I did something special with the PSU :) (Also, photo number 100!)

99.JPG

100.JPG

101.JPG

I decided this is where an 80mm intake fan will be located (may add 2 as it means it will also be ready for a 160mm rad if in the future I want to upgrade to liquid cooling).

102.JPG

And lastly, this will be the possition of an SFX PSU that will power the itx board (obviously, needs to be painted).

103.JPG .

You may notice the fan of the ATX PSU is pointed towards the wall. There will be a piece of metal or wood blocking the air spreading to the rest of the case and a mesh aperture on the back panel to allow the air to flow. By doing this, none of the heat created by the PSU stays in the module.

Anyhow, that´s about it for today and as always...

...thanks for reading!

:drool: :drool:

WOW that's looking good!
Nice and clean, the true sign of a quality case build! :thup:

This is going to look so good when it's done :)

Cheers Silver, I can´t wait myself to finish it, really looking forward to just sitting down in front it and thinking... "yeah, I´m done" :D

------------------------

Hi Everyone,

Today´s update isn´t much of a work update as such, but rather an update on materials as I haven´t had much time these last few days. Unfortunately my compressor died the other day, it was 6 and a half years old and to be honest it was never very good, I´m convinced it leaked air as it could never hold a full load within the tank, had no pressure control (so it was useless for smaller sprayguns) neither did it have an auto on/off depending on the quantity of air within it´s tank which was a pain in the rear, I bought it when I first started painting and it´s what happens when you buy something without knowing any better.

So, I went down to the same shop I always go for paint supplies (sure I could´ve provably bought the following cheaper online but it´s a local shop, not part of a chain and they´ve always been extremely good to me, hell if it wasn´t for them existing I wouldn´t know what to do so I like to support them) and got myself a spanking brand new compressor, this time round however with all the bells and whistles.

104.JPG

105.JPG

For the same price I could´ve gotten a 50ltr one, with the same specs all round but it was simply to big for the space I have allocated for it, plus fact is I don´t need it to hold so much air at any given time. So I mounted the wheels on it and placed it where the old one used to live, just outside my "paintbooth". I was going to install the tubing I have from the old one but the fittings where different!

106.JPG

So had to go back to the shop (thankfully, it´s only a 5 min drive from where I live) and get some new fittings, I figured for the price I might as well also get some new tubing (what you also see in the picture are some measuring cups I use for mixing the paint components, I change them once a year or so as they get rather dirty after many paint sessions and it´s increasingly harder to read the measurements on them)...

108.JPG

...and just as I was about to leave... the owner knows I´ve been keeping an eye on 2 sprayguns they have there (a mini and a detailing one) but I couldn´t really justify the price since I already had some (even though they weren´t exactly expensive) so he mentioned that they are now the last two and they are end of line models so I could have them at cost price if I wanted (love this shop!) so I figured... what the hell...PLUS it is my BIRTHDAY on Sunday the 13th and of course while I was at it I figured I needed some new suplies aniway (I was going to get them next week, but while I was there I figured I´d get the lot as I know when I buy a certain amount of stuff they give me a further discount) so...

107.JPG

And the spanking new sprayguns! (I´m veeeery happy right now!)

109.JPG

110.JPG

While I was out, a package arrived (love the feeling of coming home to even more goodies).

111.JPG

Cables, cables and more cables, all the cables and extensions I ordered and need for this project.

112.JPG

At one point when I started this project I thought about sleeving but, to be honest I´m not a huge fan of sleeving and just looking at the amount of cables gives me a headache plus the fact is, you´re going to see next to none of them once installed so, figured, no point.

Anyhow, next thing I decided is I´m going to install a small kvm switch on the back of the module. You see the servers are going to be connected to a TV i have on the wall above where the module will live, so, not just a server, but as I mentioned at the beggining of this project, also a media center and streamer. Don´t really need the KVM as all the files and storage will be on the M-ATX, but I already had it laying about, never really used it much so figured, hell if I ever can´t access the servers remotely at least this way I can see what´s going on without having to move the module to plug a monitor in the back. So, haven´t fitted it on yet nor have I decided it I will get rid of the enclosure it comes with but, just so you get an idea of where it will go:

113.JPG

114.JPG

Lastly, but no less important. I was taking some measurements to cut the opening for the 80mm fan. While doing so I realised, as I mentioned in a previous post that I could fit two. I also realised the cpu heatsink that I was going to use for the M-ATX is to tall! So started looking for a smaller one online and though... I can fit 2x 80mm fans... I have spare fittings... I have some tubing... I have a spare basic cpu block... I have a spare small reservoir... hell I´m not going to buy a new heatsink, instead I´ll get a 2x80mm radiator, sure it´s a small but it´s only cooling a very low end 1155 cpu so what the hell and so I did. I bought the only one I could find which wasn´t to expensive (there are not that many 2x80mm models out there), 57€ with shipping, not to bad! It´s an Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 80mm Dual and should arrive at some point next week.

115.JPG

Anyhow, for an update without any actual work progress, it certainly has turned a few things around and... crap I just realised I don´t have any decent 80mm fans laying about...!!

That´s all for today folks and as always...

...thanks for reading!

:drool:

Wow that's a lot of cables! :p

Nice spray guys :D
Much better than a roller or those aerosol spray cans.

I can honestly say I´ve never used a roller... :S

I do from time to time use spray cans but only because they prep them on the spot at the shop I go to for my supplies and use the same paint I use on my guns normally, in the case I need a small amount of a colour I do not want to buy 200grams off (minimum quanity I can buy for the guns in this shop). The spracans in question are 400ml but only about a 5th of it is paint as they tend to be, the rest is the actual aerosol.

Hello Everyone,

Small update today, it´s been my birthday weekend and well, you shouldn´t use powertools when... not sober so no work this weekend. So, got a couple of hours in of work today, not much though, measuring hole placements and so on. I wasn´t going to show anything until they where all done but I really felt like seeing how it looks.

Before that however, got the card reader in place, so that´s done.

116.JPG

So, after I did the holes I started getting everything togueter for a mock shot, because of this have in mind the holes exposed wood needs to be painted, nothing is held down by screws so parts might look somewhat out of placement and so on, this is purely so you get an idea of how the cables could look once done, at least on the right side of the module (just one set of hdds and the m-atx mobo).

As I started, I was so glad I got the idea for the trap door, sooo many cables, and this is only a part of the whole lot!

117.JPG

And here are a few closeups of the lot, enjoy :)

118.JPG

119.JPG

120.JPG

121.JPG

122.JPG

And that´s it! Will try to get some work done tomorrow though no promises, a lot of "real-life" work to catch up to from 3 days off.

And as always...

...thanks for reading!

Sorry I can't comment on the pics :(

I'm being throttled by my ISP now & for the next 3 days :bang head
So I can't load 'em...
*note to self, keep track of bandwidth usage.

Anyway, happy birthday!! :bday:

Definitely in awe, the attention to detail and the clean look so far is just amazing :) +1 and looking forward to more progress.

Back