• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 vs. ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So true, but even more random than true, LOL! :D

I say this because the Asus he originally posted will do 1 @ x16 or 2 @ x8, but the Gigabyte would do 2 @ x16.

Never know about future plans!

True that... not like it matters :). oops wrong link that was to your thread, but SLI 8x/8x doesnt matter either. Does AMD use a PLX chip to go 16x/16x? If so that CPU causes some latency and makes little difference between 8x/8x au natural. :p

Not going to debate this... but see my edit. You are welcome to PM me to continue however! :)

Its not PLX, as far as I know, you'll have PM in a sec though lol.

Im just going to tell you this right now.

The GA0990FXA-UD3 is a ***** to OC properly, especially with PD parts. Analog VRM and vDroop problems out of this world!

That beign said, I've used one on a LN2 table and got some damn good clocks. Had to make up my own VRM cooling though-- the HS on the UD3 isn't sufficient without ample airflow (or even a fan blowing directly onto it)

I've heard the M5A99X EVO is MUCH easier to OC on, I believe Mandrake's your man on the word there. I've been able to take a non-exotic cooled 8350 to 5.1GHz on my personal UD3, but I have to have a fan blowing directly onto the board to keep the VRMs from going Supernova

As for SLI... Eh, I don't think it matters much. My wife was gaming on her 480s running in PCI-e 2.1 1x for a week and we only noticed when she went on a shout spree in Skyrim-- At 8x I think you'd only notice if the cards were being pushed to / beyond their standard MAXIMUM. Tends to be the only time it matters at all, as typical operation doesn't saturate the smaller lanes.

Last edited:
but I have to have a fan blowing directly onto the board to keep the VRMs from going Supernova

Could you supply me with a pic of how did you mount the fan? I kind-of need ideeas on how to mount one to mine. or...it was on a bench?

thanks and sorry for off-topic

Could you supply me with a pic of how did you mount the fan? I kind-of need ideeas on how to mount one to mine. or...it was on a bench?

thanks and sorry for off-topic

When I get home, sure-- I actually used metal floral wires (They bend and twist, but hold their shape firmly once fixed) to 'mount' the fan blowing directly on the NB and VRM heatsink (Favoring the latter), sort of floating in the case. You need a lot of room for this getup :attn:

Another option is to get an aftermarket VRM cooler that happens to be very tall, and have its to in the path of your case's rear fan. I did this on my wife's rig.

Careful though, most aftermarket Heatsinks are too wide to fit in the UD3's narrow space. The first option is more fun and works better IMO

Looks solid dude!

Don't worry, there's plenty of AMD lovers here ;)

And $140 for a processor like that, can't hardly beat it with a stick.

Shoot.. Nice catch Knu... Mixed you working on CS6 I assume?

+1 to B75 if you have a non overclockable CPU on the Intel side.

EDIT: Found something a bit more modern :) (the story changes a bit, not too much though?): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-9.html

I'm really glad you brought these benchmark results out. Unfortunately it does look like this cpu/gpu combo looses speed in the opencl tasks. Those were more of a gimmick to me anyway. I am going to benefit from being able to smoothly use large and complex brushes with my graphics tablet, which looks like the Vishera cores do very well. The best it would seem. Thanks again.

Wonderful list. So based on your list and my price range, it looks like you would suggest the ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0. I was hoping that would be the case. This is my PSU. It is older, but it has been a champ, and it's 500W.
The ASUS M5A99FX PRO2.0 isn't a bad mobo, well Worth checking out, ;-)

Good Luck!

I own both. Long time asus fan. Bought the gigabyte as a side project and ended up trying it on my main. With Ubuntu 14.04 the dual 16x crossfire has made a huge difference for fps when playing steam games. However that may be due to a linux 256mb vram limitation on steam's part.

One thing does make me curious. With virtually the same hardware, how did asus fail on the dual 16x?

*Solved* The computer store memory express has the gigabyte incorrectly listed as having a 990x chipset.

Last edited:
Back