• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Woomack's memory test list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 memory should arrive within couple of days so of course you can expect review soon :)

If I'm right then it also has thermal sensors :) ... I'm not sure when I find time to test it as something is already in queue.

Ya I think a lot of their ram, at least the higher end stuff does to go with corsair link.

Registered here just to say a big thank you for your DDR4 reviews. Helped me a lot when benching micron memory and I'm looking forward to your review of the Crucial Ballistix Elite memory.

Have you benched DDR4 with samsung chips? I have Corsair 16GB kit that is very weird and it will be helpful if you give me some pointers. I cannot get it 24/7 stable at anything above 2666 Mhz. This kit boots @ 3200 Mhz and I can pass HCI or any other test, but on cold boot my system refuses to boot and it takes a few resets to boot again. Sometimes when in idle I get BSOD also and I'm sure that my other components are stable but this RAM is driving me crazy and it been over 2 month now trying to stabilize it. Also when memory frequency is above 2666 Mhz my Cache cannot be stabilized @ 4500 Mhz in AIDA cache test regardless of the voltage and I've tried lowering Cache to 3800 Mhz @ 1.4 volts, but that does not helped either. Cache is not stable when my Samsung memory is above 2666Mhz.

G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-2800 review on Samsung IC will be published soon. Crucial Elite DDR4 review too. Some personal things took me too much time this week and I couldn't finish reviews.

It's not so easy to stabilize Samsungs at 3200 and my Ripjaws 4 kit required CL16-17-17-36 1.35V. There were also additional settings but generally everything what is helping to raise memory clock will also cause some instability during longer work.
Paste screenshot from BIOS with your memory settings and maybe I will be able to help you some more. I also don't know what motherboard you have and what memory kit ( besides it's Corsair ).

I don't think that cache is causing instability in this case. I have no problems to run it at 4GHz+ with memory @3000+ without any special changes in settings.
Actually best clock for this kit will be 3000 and settings like 15-16-16 1.35V ( lower CL at higher voltage ). Much easier to stabilize and performance is about the same as 3200.

Problems with cold boot at 3000+ clock are common on ASUS boards. There are some settings which can reduce it but are not always helping. If you have ASUS Rampage board or something with Rampage Tweak option ( I don't remember if only Rampage boards had this setting ) set it to 1. It's usually helping.

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X @ 4500Mhz @ 1.265 volts / Uncore @ 4500 Mhz @ 1,335 volts
Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
RAM: Corsair Vengeance® LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz
SSD: 2x256GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO @ RAID 0 + 16TB SYNOLOGY NAS for backup
VIDEO CARDS: 4X AMD RADEON 290X @ stock
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 1600 P2 RED SLEEVED CABLES
CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
COOLING: CUSTOM EK WATERCOOLING

If you want something more please tell me. I just want to be able to run my memory @ 3000 Mhz or 3200 Mhz .

I've had 2x Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400Mhz 8GB kits for a total of 16GB that was very good and I didn't have any problems with it even that they were two separate kits, and I've used your review to fine tune my timings and I've had no cold boot problems no nothing, but it just got to 2800Mhz and nothing more so I grabbed that Corsair with Samsung chips with the hope that it will be better, but I cannot run them at XPM2 of 2800 Mhz if my Cache and CPU are overclocked even that I know with 10000% certainty that my system is stable @ 4500 Mhz, because the Crucial memory was the only thing I changed and even now I can run every test known to man without a problem as soon as the Corsair memory is @ 2666 Mhz and nothing more .

The Crucials did this for 24/7 with stock VCCSA of 0,848 volts:
View attachment 160264

The Corsairs pass memtest (proof in picture below) and any other test with no problem for many hours (days), but cold boots are present every day. If I shut down the PC and try to power on in the morning the problems begin and I have to test and fine tune everything all over again to get 3000 or 3200 Mhz out of that Corsair memory :
View attachment 160265

Alternative links:

http://ultimate.bg/corsair.jpg

http://ultimate.bg/micron.jpg

Last edited:
Screenshots are showing that cache is stable. It wouldn't pass HCI at full coverage if it wasn't. Issues are probably on the motherboard's side.

I don't think you will ever set Corsairs as fast as Crucial kit. 2800 CL10 is great setting. Samsung kits can't run so tight even at 2133.
I would also stick to 3000 clock as 3200 is a pain to stabilize on Samsungs if you want it to boot each time without issues.

Cache clock has to be lower than CPU clock and I mean like 200-300MHz at least. It's not the same as on 1150 Haswells and you can make it boot much above CPU clock but for some reason it's never fully stable.

Memory on RVE is working like:
2666 = 100 or 125 bclk
2800 = only 125 bclk
3000 = 100 or 125 bclk but 125 is easier to stabilize
3200 = only 100 bclk
3333 = only 125 bclk

So check these settings:

- 3000/125bclk, 4GHz cache, 15-16-16-36 1N 1.35V. On my Samsung kit tRAS had to be higher or it was losing single sticks. 19 looks too low even though it's passing HCI. Probably board is setting something else anyway.
- Rampage Tweak Auto or 1 - check if it makes any difference
- DRAM Write Latency = the same as CL so 15
- DRAM Swizzling = Enable all 3
- regardless if it's passing HCI or not, set VCCSA to 1.0-1.05V

Now one thing which you can try to check if memory is causing problems. Enable DRAM Training ( 3rd option from the bottom ). If board will boot then memory is fine. If it won't then it's locking memory because of some internal error.

If nothing from above will help then you have to check Secondary Timings one by one and I won't help you much in that. Easy way to start is to enable XMP and set manually what XMP is showing then set higher clock and check if it's working. When you find it stable then start to tweak timings.

At least my Samsungs are not scalling good with voltage. 1.35-1.45 was enough for 3000-3200. Higher voltage was helping mainly to lower CL so 3000 1.35V = 15-16-16, 1.4V+ = 14-16-16, 1.5V = 13-16-16. Not helping much in general performance.

Thank for the tips Woomack. My RAM is now stable for 3 days straight @ 3000Mhz @ 100bclk @ 15-16-16-36 @ 1,35 v and everything else on auto, but when I get some time I'll try to tighten the sub timings.

Good to hear that :thup:

Btw. here is link to Ripjaws 4 DDR4-2800 CL16-16-16 1.2V review. There will be one more review on Overclockers in couple of days. I just have delay with everything right now.
Since there will be 2 slightly different reviews of this kit then I won't add a thread on the forums about this kit.

Thanks,
HyperX Fury 4x8GB DDR4-2400 will be next as I have to send it back after tests and later will be new Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 4x4GB 2400 so cheaper Crucial series but if I'm right then on similar IC as Ballistix Elite.

Back