• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Woomack's memory test list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have no contact in Corsair and I won't buy their RAM just because there are better kits in similar price with guaranteed tighter timings. I will try to get something for tests as I have only 1 kit on the list but I don't know if it will be 2x8GB 3200 ... and I don't know when.
I just don't like the fact that all their 3200+ kits are 15-17-17 or 16-18-18 ( or CL17/18 ) while G.Skill is offering 15-15-15/16-16-16 at about the same price. At the end you don't know if max will be 3400 or 4000+ as you can find everything under the heatsinks of 16-18-18 kits. I mean Hynix, Samsung, Micron/Spectek or even Nanya.
However thanks for asking. I will try to get something from Corsair for tests.

Re HyperX, Fury is on the same IC as Savage or Predator. You can check my other tests/reviews:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...perX-FURY-16GB-DDR4-2666-CL15-HX426C15FBK4-16
http://www.funkykit.com/reviews/mem...avage-8gb-ddr4-3000-cl15-memory-kit-review/4/

On X99 and Z170 they're overclocking about the same.

There is a chance that new kits can be on Microns but most of the HyperX kits are on Hynix and there you have limited choice as most are MFR and some are AFR with about the same SPD/XMP profiles.

Request for Review:

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 - 2 x 8GB 3200 MHz
Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 - 2 x 4GB 2400 MHz

Vengeance LED 2x8GB 3200 CL16 ( white LED if it's important ;) ) is on the way. Should arrive in about a week.
G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200 CL14 is on the way too.

I don't think it's anything else than what you can find in lower frequency Trident Z from latest series so something like 3000 CL14, 3200 CL13/14/15, 3600 CL16/17 or 3766 CL17. It's just tested for additional compatibility as many boards just can't handle tight timings at higher clock or higher clock in general ( especially on 4 modules ). I can be wrong but I haven't seen any new IC on the market.
I'm not sure if I ever test this kit.

I will make Trident Z 2x8GB 3200 CL14 thread soon ( black/white ). Maybe also something from lower frequency kits if I find time.

So woomack, is it best to pair a 6700k with 4 sticks or the regular 2 sticks? Can't skylake make use of quad channel memory?

Any real benefit to quad channel vs dual?

1151 socket = only 2 channels. 4 channels are only on 2011/v3 motherboards. It won't change for next 1-2 years.
Some applications can use dual rank memory and then performance is slightly higher. To fill all ranks you can run 4x single rank sticks or 2x dual rank ( read single sided or double sided memory modules ). On the other hand single rank memory is generally overclocking better so you can achieve better performance after overclocking than from most dual rank modules.
Quad channel is faster if you look at bandwidth but slower in access time. A lot depends on memory controller and used memory. Also processor's cache is helping in general performance. Can't measure overall memory performance looking at frequency or available channels. There are other factors that are affecting performance.

1151 socket = only 2 channels. 4 channels are only on 2011/v3 motherboards. It won't change for next 1-2 years.
Some applications can use dual rank memory and then performance is slightly higher. To fill all ranks you can run 4x single rank sticks or 2x dual rank ( read single sided or double sided memory modules ). On the other hand single rank memory is generally overclocking better so you can achieve better performance after overclocking than from most dual rank modules.
Quad channel is faster if you look at bandwidth but slower in access time. A lot depends on memory controller and used memory. Also processor's cache is helping in general performance. Can't measure overall memory performance looking at frequency or available channels. There are other factors that are affecting performance.

Ohhh X99 is quad channel.
As for overclocking, with these high DDR4 speeds (like 3200+) there can't be much benefit no? Probably best to try and tighten timings i would think.

I've got a fair bit of reviews to read now that I can use DDR4 soon, so thanks for writing all these reviews up!

It really depends on the application, and also the demands on the ram. For example, more cores, or faster cores, could use more ram bandwidth. In my particular use case, I can set a quad core CPU fast enough to be limiting by most ram. In that condition, I find dual rank modules can perform about 20% faster than single rank at identical major timings (minor on auto), and adjusting timings make only a marginal difference (less than 1%). Other applications may behave differently and you need to test it if you really worry about it.

I had no chance to OC SODIMM. Every motherboard/laptop which I had with DDR3/4 SODIMM had no memory OC options or timings adjustment. Software was also not working. However in SODIMM is usually the same IC as in full size modules so I guess you can compare results. Except last 3000+ kits ( and single older series ), all Crucials were on Micron D9 in various batches but most OC the same. On better kits I could make something like 3000 13-13-13 1.35V

My laptop has i5 6300HQ and HM170 chipset but no OC options at all and it's ROG :( I thought that OC or memory adjustments are locked on HM170 while I see that your NUC has one and still can set 3000 memory clock and tighter timings. I have now 2x8GB HyperX 2400 14-14-14 kit which is working at 2133 13-13-13 so it looks pretty sad as I know it can make 3000+ on this IC.

the funny thing with these rams is that if I try to move from 2400 speed at stock timings to 2500 it hard locks the computer. seems they just dont like the 16-16-16-39 timings. but dropping these timings will allow it to crank on up

Back