• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just retired my TX850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

I think I had it for 5 years, possibly 6.. It was powered up 24/7 She was good to me. It spent thousands of hours running p95, ibt, f@h, and many benchmarks. Lately it was shutting down while playing cod, and even just at the desktop, both at stock and overclocked. Software told me the 12v was at 11.8v and the 5v was at 4.7v and 3.3 was at 2.8v while idling. Game loaded the 12v would drop to 11.5-11.6v and the 5 and 3.3 would dip down to 4.6 and 2.7v. The lowest I saw the 12v dip down to was 11.56v.

I put in a thermaltake 850w modular unit in and have to say I'm fairly satisfied. Everything stays rock solid and the unit was about 150 with tax, so a decent deal! Going to have to go over my old overclocks to see if I can use less voltage :thup:

As a side note I have an original toughpower 650 from thermaltake powering my 775 rig.. It's a piece of junk but it still works heheh. It says its 650 but its probably somewhere around 500w lol.

/ramble

Last edited:
You can probably get it working again by replacing the secondary side caps. And rewire the fan direct to 12V. (Lowering the fan voltage slightly increases efficiency due to the lower power use and because IGBTs drop less voltage when hot, but the reduced lifetime completely erases those benefits. What they want is for you to have to buy a new PSU every few years.)

Mike,

This is not recommended for the layman and amatuer builders as stated. Most of us are not qualified to open power supplys and modify and / or repair them.
Please don't recommend that to our membership in the forum, we value our members and their well-being. It's just too dangerous.

RT

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, you really need to stop telling people to get in their psu and work on it (was mentioned before to you). This isn't an ee forum where a certain level of knowledge is assumed... You have people with no clue that can touch the wrong thing and get seriously zapped or even killed.

Yeah Im not down for opening the unit up, but thanks for the tip!

The psu still works, it just cant drive my pc anymore, but I think it will run my Q9550/Rampage Formula setup, since it doesnt draw anywhere near what this system can :D

It has a TT ToughPower 650 on it, that PSU does the same as my Corsair if I push that system :cool:

Back