• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Prodigy mATX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hello people,

I have many many projects going, and heres yet another one.

During a google search I found a Bitfenix Prodigy with an mATX mounted flat. Before that I had only found a mod where it was standing up right.

Well, I had a dream of Crossfire in the Bitfenix, but only an ITX board.

I found a guy willing to swap my B75M-ITX for a B75 Pro-3 M. So i went ahead and did it.

So the project starts.

Parts so far.
AsRock B75 Pro-3 M
Intel i7 3770
Asus HD7870 DCU II 2Gb
2x 4Gb Kingston 1333Mhz
60Gb OCZ Octane 2
320Gb WD Sata

Part i want/need:
Be Quiet 630watt L8 <-- Changed for CX750M
Asus HD7870 DCU II 2Gb
2x EK full cover 7870 water blocks
240mm Rad
120mm Rad <-- Changed for 140mm
3 or 4x Gentle Typhoon A15 <-- Changed other fans i had laying around
Ek Supreme LTX Plexi/Copper (dont need bigger due to no OC) <-- Changed for Supreme LT
Fittings and tubes
Small Res.

Let go! :D

Prodigy down to the skeleton.
IMG_0440.JPG

The motherboard and CPU, not that its special, or maybe it is? Cos it aint a K
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG

The mess!
IMG_0444.JPG

Now lets get down to it.

The motherboard will not fit with out mods, and yes, this was expected.
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_04491.JPG

and the final piece..
IMG_04501.JPG

Next up, modding, making everything fit together.

But that will take some time. :thup:

Last edited:
Update one:

I took some time and drove out to my work, and got the tools in movement.

First cut out made:
IMG_0451.JPG

Cleaned up the cut.
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG

I did the I/O plate, and test fit.
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_04561.JPG

I did all the mounts for the motherboard.
IMG_0457.JPG
IMG_04591.JPG

Input allowed :D

Last edited:
Getting paid, getting paid, and spending the money right away!

I was testing a few fans, that i was given with my 800D, and found they seem pretty quiet, i am going to try them to start with on this project. So the Gentle Typhoons are out for now at least.

Attachments

• bitfenix.png
    bitfenix.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,325
Update:

Turned out the 140mm Rad is outta stock for the next 2 months :(

So i the order will be changed. Update on that will follow.

I did some more work on the case.

IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0464.JPG

It will be cut and placed perfectly during next week, and then welding will start. I wont be doing the welding, so that may take time, as i need a guy from my work to do it.

Last edited:
The plan is to be able to use the 4 orignal 120mm fan mount holes to mount an exhaust fan. It will make sense once i get closet to a finished product :)

Update:

So my first order didnt go threw, or rather i cancelled it, because they didnt have my 140mm Rad in stock. Next in line was an EK 140mm, which was also no in stock, so i went for a Hardware-Labs Black GT stealth. I also broke the bank, and just got a few more thing that i will need for the build.

On top of that, i found that the Corsair CX750M was the same price as the BeQuiet 630w L8 M, so i went for the Corsair, as i love Corsair to start with, and the extra headroom at the same price is worth it, plus all the modular cables are black, which i freaking love!

This order will hopefully have all items in stock (i was sure to check it)

Attachments

• bitfewnix.png
    bitfewnix.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,241
Great Mod!

I was thinking of moving to a Prodigy also but I dont want to purchase a new mobo (currently have a mATX). If I was only running 1 card would it fit if i just drilled new holes for the standoffs?

Yeah, revealed at Computex. It's called the "Prodigy M" and mounts the board vertical and rotated. Pierre's mods mounts it horizontal, so it will still be unique :D

57988d1370361143-bitfenixs-new-prodigy-m-matx-case-spotted-prodigy-m-2.jpg

I have seen vertical mods before, i have seen horizontal like i am doing, was not aware they made one for mATX, but i just dont see the space being used at its optimal with the setup.

You would in the end get less rad space, from what i can see and imagine. The top wound mount, duo to a motherboard/GPU in the way, the bottom, will fit a rad, which size unknown, the rear will fit one too, 1x120mm? and the front, looks like thats for the PSU.

Yeah it looks awesome, i want to buy the front mesh only, but white, with black, but at the end of the day, i think space wise, the horizontal solution is better. (if the had just made the case 1cm wider, it would have been a piece of cake to make.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/30779...ich-supports-microatx-motherboards/index.html <--- More pics

oh and,

Great Mod!

I was thinking of moving to a Prodigy also but I dont want to purchase a new mobo (currently have a mATX). If I was only running 1 card would it fit if i just drilled new holes for the standoffs?

In theory it IS possible, but it will force you to not use the first PCI-E slot on the motherbord, plus cut into the skeleton of the case, and the side panel a bit on the GPU side. But it would be possible, i would not do it.

Last edited:
Did a bit more work on the back plate today.

Getting closer, hoping for welding to start this week, or next week.

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

Update:

I got it all finished up, now sanding needs to be done, so welding can start next week! :eek:

IMG_0499.JPG

Also scored a used EK Supreme block, should get it next week.

Last edited:
Back