• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp users

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
how many people are still using XP and why dual boot welcome.
I currently run Win7 32bit i'm looking for the 64bit.

XP has incredibly low resource usage, but yes it is getting old and many games don't support it anymore. The low resource usage of XP can almost be reached on W7 X64 (Which is what I run) by disabling a lot of garbagey bloat services (notably Superfetch)

Windows 7 is a valid and true successor to XP, and should be embraced, however, Windows 8 should basically be burned at the stake.

The whole Microsoft ending update services thing won't really affect many people who run XP, as I've found its security holes really don't exist but are largely ingrained in the mind of one who uses not-so-safe internet browsing habits. In schools, businesses, etc where XP is employed (and whose owners are not open to upgrading thousands of machines) shouldn't really worry either as internet censoring programs restrict the 'bad websites' and the spectre of viruses grows less perilous.

People that are still running XP need to stop living in the past. XP was great, 10 years ago. Now it is old and horrible insecure. Not to mention that Microsoft will completely stop supporting it next year (and by completely I mean even multi billion dollar companies won't get support for it).

I'm on this guy's side. If I thought it would make a difference I would go on a rant. Instead I will just say enjoy your cardboard box. Hopefully it doesn't rain.

XP x64 is NOT a horrible OS! Still uses less RAM with applications closed than 7!

*sigh* RAM is cheap. I would far rather things be kept in memory where they can be accessed instantly than kept on a much slower HDD or SDD... This is a completely invalid argument. When XP was around I think the average RAM on a system was 2-4GB. They didn't have any to play with so they didn't. A bunch of the memory eaten by Vista and above is used for cache. As an example that is superfetch's only job... it will use a whole bunch of memory loading applications you often use into memory so that when you start them they start quicker. It gives up memory if any other application needs it. If it ever needs to give up memory though... you need more memory.

Now if you're talking benching, tech support, your using an old 486... or to support that usb 8 track player... totally makes sense. As your primary OS though? You're missing out.

Last edited:
Back