• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI@home Version 7 released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clutch_Head

i'm sure everyone running BOINC got the notice but i thought we could discuss it here.

i'm happy to see lunatics were involved in the creation. :clap: i hope the version for NVIDIA is CUDA, not openCL.
there is talk of SETI enhanced not being available anymore. good news is we should get the new Lunatics Installer v0.41 monday. :attn:
looks like Einstein@home will get some extra GPU time this week.

[:sn: edit] GPU only crunchers don't forget to add SETI@home v7 to your "Run only the selected applications" list in SETI@home preferences. ;)

Last edited:
your welcome. :cheers:

indeed. i'm curious how the new apps will run. having lunatics involved i've got high expectations.

ok. didn't seem to update on it's own so i changed my app_info.xml file to app_info.xml.bak.
restarted BOINC and it downloaded setiathome_7.00_windows_intelx86__cuda32.exe and some work. yay
by default it ran 1 instance loading my GPU @ 85-99%
it didn't seem to make a new app_info.xml file like i thought it would. instead i found a MBCuda.aistub file.
changed the count from 1 to 0.5 (2 instances) but rebooting BOINC it still runs 1 instance :shrug:

i found the mbcuda-7.00-cuda32.cfg.sample mbcuda-7.00-cuda42.cfg.sample files.

Code:
;;; This configuration file is for optional control of Cuda Multibeam x41zc
;;; Currently, the available options are for
;;; application process priority control (without external tools), and
;;; per gpu priority control (useful for multiple Cuda GPU systems)
[mbcuda]
;;;;; Global applications settings, to apply to all Cuda devices
;;; You can uncomment the processpriority line below, by removing the ';', to engage machine global priority control of x41x
;;; possible options are 'belownormal' (which is the default), 'normal', 'abovenormal', or 'high'
;;; For dedicated crunching machines, 'abovenormal' is recommended
;;; raising global application priorities above the default
;;;   may have system dependant usability effects, and can have positive or negative effects on overall throughput 
;processpriority = abovenormal
;;; Pulsefinding: Advanced options for long pulsefinds (affect display usability & long kernel runs)
;;; defaults are conservative.
;;; WARNING: Excessive values may induce display lag, driver timeout & recovery, or errors. 
;;; pulsefinding blocks per multiprocessor (1-16), default is 1 for Pre-Fermi, 4 for Fermi or newer GPUs
;pfblockspersm = 8
;;; pulsefinding maximum periods per kernel launch  (1-1000), default is 100, as per 6.09
;pfperiodsperlaunch = 200

;[bus1slot0]
;;; Optional GPU specifc control (requires Cuda 3.2 or newer app), example
;processpriority = abovenormal
;pfblockspersm = 8
;pfperiodsperlaunch = 200

i set the processpriority to abovenormal but the rest i'm leaving till i know what the heck they do.
not sure if running multiple instances is still best. maybe these option will let us tweak running 1 instance.

Last edited:
hello everyone,
This Is Landon Oswalt on the seti team, i know its been a while, but im back on the job!(SETI THAT IS) Version 7 production is painful, and falling like a rock. :-/
So, any tips on how to create this config file you guys are talking about? :confused:

Cuda drought just ended, I picked up 100 CUDA units just now!!!!

Reaper16, I think most people are waiting for the optimizations for SETI V7 which should release on Monday (unless you can tweak your own app_info.xml file). I'm on stock V7 for now, waiting patiently for the Lunatics goodness next week.

thanks eaglescouter,
I thought the Enhanced version was going away. So i'll wait and see. Astropulse on video card did speed up the process a great deal, but i have had some problems when one card is running opencl for astropulse and the other card is running CUDA. It causes my rig to crash. Anyway hope all is well with u.

Landon Oswalt

welcome back. just got back to crunching myself.

default is one instance per GPU. v7 credits are half or less than what we're used to. i read as time goes on and more WU's
are turned in this will change. we just have to stick it out till then. i'm in it for the science anyway.
7.gif

i started researching how to make a app_info.xml file. just a heads up don't run boinc with a blank app_info.xml file. DOH!
now like eaglescouter i'm waiting for lunatics install to come out and make it easy for me.
guess the legal issues are in the past. lunatics helped develop the official V7 :thup:

yupper. just downloaded and installed without a hitch. i shut down BOINC, installed
edited the app_info.xml file to run 2 instances on my GPU.
Code:
<count>0.5</count>

back to a solid 98-99% GPU usage. up from 77% with one instance.

thanks lunatics and crunch on! :salute:

Nice just got my new machine up and running with 2 GPU units at a time. Took a little for me to figure out how to edit the xml but got it.

Back