Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast

3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform

Well, we skipped a generation on the front page, because overclocking Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge were both relatively similar. The overclocking game, however, is in for a bit of a facelift with Haswell.

What if I were to tell you all this super high speed RAM people purchased for Ivy was no longer necessary and/or it can't be used with Haswell? What if I were to ...

... Return to article to continue reading.

**We have forms for you to enter your overclocks! Due to a forgetful editor they're in post #20 and I'm putting them in this post as well. **

***A separate thread for results was created. These are the same forms and will still work, but to see the graphed results, check out the Intel Haswell i7 4770K & i5 4670K Results Thread!

Post your overclocks here!

i7 4770K Result Form

i5 4670K Result Form

Last edited by hokiealumnus; 06-11-13 at 01:53 PM.

2. Thanks!

BugFreak (02-21-15)

Very Welcoming Senior
    Premium Member #11

10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile
    Thanks for the guide (And tips) hokie

Much appreciated !!

10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Thanks Hokie!

Alright... some fresh reading material.

Oih Boi... "That’s just the nature of Haswell. With the VRM on-die, think of Haswell as Ivy Bridge plus 10° C."... bummer.
    Skylake/Haswell/IB-E and Vishera on a Dimastech Bench table.

Benching Team Leader
    Buckeye Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Aaaaand bookmarked

Nice guide, can't wait to put it to use!
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 16GB 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI GTX 1080 Gaming Z
    Other Components: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm : Seasonic Platinum 1000W : 3x1440p: Asus MG279q, Auria EQ276W, Crossover P27Q

Folding User Stats

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Really interesting...great guide man!
    Can't wait to sell my IB stuff and get Haswell
    Folding User Stats
    "What it can take scales inversely with how much you want it to not die." Bobnova

Thanks for the guide !
    Boulard83 @ OvercloQc.com
    BTTB
    • Gigabyte Z87X-OC • WCed 4770k • 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz cas8 • Zotac GTX 780 • Asus Xonar Pheobus
    OS Toshiba Q 256gb • Games 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0 • Corsair HX850 • Tecnofront HWD BenchTable • Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

HTPC • Gigabyte H77m-D3H • G2020 • NT-06 • 2x4gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz • Asus GTX 650 TI • SB Recon3D
    X25-m 80gb • Enermax 550w • Lian Li PC-C60B

Server • Asus Z77m PRO • 2500K • NH-C12P • 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb • Corsair CX430M • 2X 1TB Black • 1x 2TB green

KatPat • Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 • FX-8320 • PH-TC14CS • 2x4gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz • GTS 450 + Accelero L2 Plus
    Samsung Evo 120gb • Corsair HX750 • Bitfenix Survivor White • Asus VE247H

Thanks for the guide, fascinating read!

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    @Hokie, I found that observation of yours about the inverse relationship between CPU clocks and ram clocks to be specially interesting. In that case, all of the really impressive Haswell ram clocks being posted about are pretty much for show, because if you want overall higher performance (like you stated, CPU clocks are what counts), then you aren't likely to be running one of those 2933 kits at their rated clock speed. Granted, there is nothing wrong with showing off the ram at 3000+, but from a practical standpoint that makes absolutely no sense if you have to dial down the CPU to accomplish it. One this is dropping it down a notch if you're right at the edge, but this appears to be way more than that.

Have you had the opportunity to discuss this with Asus or anyone else to confirm that this has been observed by others, or is it possible that it is peculiar to your sample?
    Last edited by Reefa_Madness; 06-02-13 at 01:28 PM.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Well, the pifast record is at 6700mhz and uses bbse over 3000mhz with cl5-9-7-18-1t...so I'm not too sure about that.
    Folding User Stats
    "What it can take scales inversely with how much you want it to not die." Bobnova

Benching Team Leader
    Buckeye Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    The ram that Ney uses is incredible though,
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 16GB 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI GTX 1080 Gaming Z
    Other Components: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm : Seasonic Platinum 1000W : 3x1440p: Asus MG279q, Auria EQ276W, Crossover P27Q

Folding User Stats

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanlabrie
    Well, the pifast record is at 6700mhz and uses bbse over 3000mhz with cl5-9-7-18-1t...so I'm not too sure about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus67
    The ram that Ney uses is incredible though,
    @Janus67...sir, in this case, your glowing praise of the ram is simply not sufficient. Dang, those are some serious sticks of ram!

@ivanlabrie, that may very well be true, but Hokie's testing was done at ambient temps so comparisons should probably be as well in order for them to be relevant. You now that what happens at sub-ambient temps doesn't always hold true at ambient temps, much less 24/7 usage.
    Last edited by Reefa_Madness; 06-02-13 at 01:39 PM.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

Heat

13. Thanks!

Janus67 (06-02-13)

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefa_Madness View Post
    @Hokie, I found that observation of yours about the inverse relationship between CPU clocks and ram clocks to be specially interesting. In that case, all of the really impressive Haswell ram clocks being posted about are pretty much for show, because if you want overall higher performance (like you stated, CPU clocks are what counts), then you aren't likely to be running one of those 2933 kits at their rated clock speed. Granted, there is nothing wrong with showing off the ram at 3000+, but from a practical standpoint that makes absolutely no sense if you have to dial down the CPU to accomplish it. One this is dropping it down a notch if you're right at the edge, but this appears to be way more than that.

Have you had the opportunity to discuss this with Asus or anyone else to confirm that this has been observed by others, or is it possible that it is peculiar to your sample?
    Excellent question Reefa. My RAM advice actually come a straight from ASUS. I used it to my advantage when clocking my chip but that is expected to be the new norm. Obviously YMMV with IMC and CPU clocks, and going cold as you've seen on the not throws convention out the window. The guide is for ambient clocking mostly though.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

10 Year Badge
    @Reefa:

I'm going to be disappointed if Haswell's IMC doesn't run memory overclocks at half bank or even full bank "stable" with higher memory speeds than IB will run in the x44 to x48 range.

I picked up a new combo this morning... So we will see how it goes.

Sparkomatic Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Let the festivities begin!

.....................................My HeatwareMyFAH Stats
    ......................."Folding is a marathon, not a sprint." audioaficionado
    Super Micro X8DTH-iF, dual Westmere Xeons E5620 @2.4GHz >2xGPU3 FAH 24/7
    Asus Commando, 8GB GSkill PC6400, Q6600 @3.0GHz
    Iwill DH800, 2GB OCZ PC-3200, Dual 2.4 Prestonia M0 Xeons 1.5v/880/3300
    Micronics W6-Lightning, 288Mb Crucial ECC EDO, Dual Pentium Pro @200MHz
    Help improve overclockers.com! Get involved!

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
    "Don't let what you can't do interfere with what you can do." Coach John Wooden

.........................Folding User Stats

I just ordered a Gigabyte Z87X-OC and a 4770k, will make use of this guide
    Boulard83 @ OvercloQc.com
    BTTB
    • Gigabyte Z87X-OC • WCed 4770k • 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz cas8 • Zotac GTX 780 • Asus Xonar Pheobus
    OS Toshiba Q 256gb • Games 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0 • Corsair HX850 • Tecnofront HWD BenchTable • Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

HTPC • Gigabyte H77m-D3H • G2020 • NT-06 • 2x4gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz • Asus GTX 650 TI • SB Recon3D
    X25-m 80gb • Enermax 550w • Lian Li PC-C60B

Server • Asus Z77m PRO • 2500K • NH-C12P • 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb • Corsair CX430M • 2X 1TB Black • 1x 2TB green

KatPat • Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 • FX-8320 • PH-TC14CS • 2x4gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz • GTS 450 + Accelero L2 Plus
    Samsung Evo 120gb • Corsair HX750 • Bitfenix Survivor White • Asus VE247H

Disabled
    Thanks for paying tribute to my Sandybridge overclocking thread.

Your thread is much better. Beautifully written guide. Very long and highly informative. Awesome job man.

19. Thanks!

hokiealumnus (06-02-13)

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    @hokie, thanks for the reply.

I nearly always bring up the rear when it comes to trying out the new platforms so I really appreciate all the blood, sweat & tears that you guys go through so that users like me don't have to.

Heat

10 Year Badge
    These chips do seem to run rather toasty... Initial quick (~30 min) Prime large fft at 45x with fixed vcore @1.2v.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

22. Thanks!

hokiealumnus (06-03-13), Xeon_KI (06-03-13)

Water Cooled Moderator
    Looks solid so far PolRoger. Don't forget to fill out the form when you're done dialing it in!

EDIT - OMG mdcomp fail. Stand by for form insertion!

I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"

Water Cooled Moderator

Post Your Overclocks Here!

***A separate thread for results was created. These are the same forms and will still work, but to see the graphed results, check out the Intel Haswell i7 4770K & i5 4670K Results Thread!

i7 4770K Result Form

i5 4670K Result Form

I put them in the OP as well.
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 06-11-13 at 01:53 PM.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast