• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yesterday I received Z87X-OC and 4770K. Some quick tests on box cooler so I didn't try max cpu clock.

Team Xtreem 2666 11-13-13 @ 3000 12-14-14 1.75V ( maybe will be lower voltage, I have to check that later )

team3000.jpg

The only thing that I can say is that all official BIOSes for Z87X-OC are really bad and betas have some issues too. F5 seems best but has some problems with bclk. When I set 100-102 then is fine, when I set 102.5 then all is freezing. The same 125-127 is ok but 127+ is freezing.
Good that GB has now better dual BIOS with switch etc. During ~2h testing BIOS was corrupted 5-6 times and had to make recovery.

Woomack, that is the strap mucking with you. When its left on auto, it will auto adjust when you adjust bclk. Try 160 or so. It seems to work in ranges, so the 1.25 strap works from around 110 to 140 while the 1.67 does 155+. Of course, this all depends on the CPU.

As far as bios corruption, tell me about it.... Ugh. I borked both bios, sort of on the mpower max and struggling to get them back. Part of it is me however.

Last edited:
Read my review Kona...

I skimmed over that bit. :(

Still, exactly what kind of difference does messing with it make? Since IB/HW chips seem to be entirely thermally limited, it could make a few hundred mhz of difference...

Summation: Yes, they're still using paste; it's not cheapo, Intel paste is excellent. It's the gap caused by the sealant (between the CPU PCB and the IHS) that causes the temps to be higher. Yes, delidding will probably help with temps and possibly get some small gains due to raising the thermal ceiling.

Plenty of threads around discussing it...5-20c on average... For the most part, its not recommended unless you have voltage headroom. But for some reason people like bricking warranties on $300+ chips for little reason.

Gskill TridentX 2800C11 at 2933C11 1.70v:

Attachments

• i7-4770K DDR3-2933 Cinebench 32M.PNG
    i7-4770K DDR3-2933 Cinebench 32M.PNG
    79.4 KB · Views: 259
Dam, nice. Can you tell me how high you can get your mem at 4.9 with cinebench stability? cheers
Yes... These chips don't seem to like running higher multi/mem/uncore speeds all at the same time. I guess everyone will behave a little different in this regard.

In some ways they remind me a little bit like the old Bloomfields... Where a good clocker that could run well with lower memory/uncore speeds was much more common then one that could overclock well while still running 2000(+) mem/4000(+) uncore.

Pushing mine sample a little higher...

Nice! How high can you clock the cpu with those memory clocks is the question....at stock speeds, that shouldn't be a huge issue... Overclocked, huge issue.

I'm very close to getting 4.8 and DDR3-2800. It isn't quite stable, the longest I've been able to run AIDA is 9:25. It's getting there though. If I get it stable I'll post my voltages for you guys.

Hi All

Right managed to sort out my BSOD at stock default bios settings seems to have been an issue with the usb 3 driver on this gigabyte board fingers crossed...

so i have managed to bench and get 4.6 @1.2 stable but it requires more to hit 4.7 but my heat is an issue and need to get off air i have got water kit coming next week so will be able to push more then....

But i decided to see what i could get at lower volts @ 1.150 i get 4.3 stable will try and go lower later this weekend..

haswell43150voltscrop.jpg

Solid volts-per-clock there harney; very nice.

What application are you guys using for the little note thingy? I've seen that around - twice now in this thread - but have no idea where it comes from.

thanks hokie

Yep sticky notes i only found it because some one used it 1st page its a great tool...

These chips are great intel have done a very good job with them in the mobile department i know peeps moan about not being a great over clockers & heat ect but i think you have to look at it a different way that being that there efficiency is great in terms of clocks per cycle power usage .....i mean look at this had this

Intel must be using some form of black magic to get 0.216v @ 3891

0216v3891.jpg

I must say this gigabyte z87-d3hp with free £35 be quite silent rock pro for £106 was a great deal gotta love these budget boards....so save your money spend less on board spend more on cpu

The DPC latency is great with this board so its thumbs up for me and my audio work usage 63 micro seconds :)

dpchaswellnice.jpg

Last edited:
Dam, nice. Can you tell me how high you can get your mem at 4.9 with cinebench stability? cheers

I'll see what I can do... But I only have an H110 right now and I don't have access to my custom water loop.

Nice! How high can you clock the cpu with those memory clocks is the question....at stock speeds, that shouldn't be a huge issue... Overclocked, huge issue.

I agree... Like Hokie mentions in the guide... Running high multi/high memory speed is hard with HS :( and my sample follows the same pattern.

Woomack, that is the strap mucking with you. When its left on auto, it will auto adjust when you adjust bclk. Try 160 or so. It seems to work in ranges, so the 1.25 strap works from around 110 to 140 while the 1.67 does 155+. Of course, this all depends on the CPU.

As far as bios corruption, tell me about it.... Ugh. I borked both bios, sort of on the mpower max and struggling to get them back. Part of it is me however.

No matter what strap I use, max bclk is +2MHz or it won't boot/freeze. Auto setting gives me 100 pcie/1.25 strap when I set 125MHz. I can change it manually to ~127MHz but 127.5 = freeze in windows or it won't boot when I change it in BIOS. The same for 100 / x1. it can go up to ~102MHz but not much higher.
x1.66 strap is not always booting and it also depends from used BIOS so I stick to 1.25 for now.
I still have 2 BIOSes to check so will report later if it helped or not.
Max memory clock so far is ~3070MHz what seem stable but I had no time to use anything else than a box cooler for cpu.

Poor cpu in that case?

Leave strap in auto, just change bclk.

I could go 125 but not boot 167. At that point, I borked both bios so... Will test more tonight when I get home and with a different cpu.

Back