• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell delidding, any news?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
has anyone dissected the chip yet?

what they using as TIM? any improvement from IB chips?

If soldered, I'd love to take a crack at de-lidding one of these....

But I gotta feeling the they are not soldered.

Per the Haswell review, and a few mentions prior, the TIM wasnt the main issue. That said, plenty have and saw improvements. Would I do it? Nope. Still not worth the risk to me.

Last edited:
Per the Haswell review, and a few mentions prior, the TIM wasnt the issue. That said, plenty have and saw improvements. Would I do it? Nope. Still not worth the risk to me.

Edit: just saw someone saying that the gap was the issue with IB as well, i dont know how the increased gap was the main cause, considering people saw drops of up to 20c on their IB CPU's when de-lidded and colab liquid pro was applied?

I would say thats as good as indication as any that the major issue with the IB cpu line was the TIM used rather than the gap? Correct me if I'm wrong or missing something?

Last edited:
Edit: just saw someone saying that the gap was the issue with IB as well, i dont know how the increased gap was the main cause, considering people saw drops of up to 20c on theit IB CPU's when de-lidded and colab liquid pro used?
First, the gap is a big part of it, the TIM used is another part. How much of each will vary. Also, isn't part of the process scraping off that glue? So when applying more, its thinner than what is used from the factory?

I don't know, I can benefit from such a thing and still don't do it. :thup:

I edited my post for clarity. ;)

First, the gap is a big part of it, the TIM used is another part. How much of each will vary. Also, isn't part of the process scraping off that glue? So when applying more, its thinner than what is used from the factory?

Correct, the gap is the biggest concern, on both IB and Haswell. You can easily remove the glue the same way you remove the TIM: rubbing alcohol and q-tips. When(/if) you replace the IHS, you don't use any glue at all; the pressure from your heatsink or waterblock will keep it in place. If you look through my delidding thread, you'll see that I installed the CPU into the socket with the IHS removed, then added TIM, then gently put the IHS back on, and finally brought the lock down on top of the loose IHS. The IHS can slide around a bit while it's sitting on the die like that, but the bottom of it is still touching the PCB.

fair play mate, I can see how both contribute. having looked at the delidded IHS might it just be that the gunk they put to secure it was causing a larger than average gap? If not they surely you can just sand down a wee bit off the bottom of the IHS (as long as you keep it nice and even) in order to make it sit more flush?

Having said that people got such good results with just adding colab liquid it hardly seems worth it. If intel didn't cheap out on this stuff these chips would easily be hitting 5ghz on water. :rain:

First off, for purposes of full disclosure, I have not delidded an IB processor yet, but I'm giving it some thought now that I've seen the vice & hammer method. I don't have Haswell, so I'll limit my question to IB, although it applies to Haswell just the same.

Why, if you're going to go thru the effort to delid, not just run it naked using something like this and eliminate any concerns about the "gap"? Everyone did it back in the days of Socket A.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata..._info&cPath=59_971_410_1032&products_id=37453

Attachments

• EK Supremacy mount kit for naked Ivy Bridge.JPG
    EK Supremacy mount kit for naked Ivy Bridge.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,470
I think some people are, with a copper spacer instead of the IHS.

i thought i read somewhere mouting on a naked DIE tends not to be a great idea. I even heard somewhere the temp difference is pretty negligible? Might be making that up though?

Back