• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer randomly freezes. Even reset button doesn't work.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I lowered voltage by offset -0.175. Clock are default and voltage at gaming load are something around 1.264. My PC works well almost 10 months with that settings, problems start month ago.

I would return the settings to stock and see if that solves your problems. With electronics sometimes lowering the voltage increase the amperage draw to meat demand of components or transisters causing damage.

There is no solution at all... I looked at many topics with this problems and no one found solutions. I will try to replace PSU this week and maybe gpu. Maybe it will help.

Hey, if you are going to change something change your CPU or motherboard to something that is not asus. You and I have the exact same problem, yet the only parts we have in common are our CPU and the board (not exactly the same but I'm assuming similar drivers)

Also I updated my bios today (to 1702, the latest) and I had no freezes today so far. But again, it sometimes freezes 5 times a day, other times once in three days. And I have tried (as I've stated in my post) many different video drivers. Like maybe 10 of them from 352 xx to the latest 368 xx. None of them helped.

I would return the settings to stock and see if that solves your problems. With electronics sometimes lowering the voltage increase the amperage draw to meat demand of components or transisters causing damage.

I have not changed any settings that are related to voltages from bios or anywhere else. I just bought the parts and assembled them. That's it. Unless the CPU comes with non-stock voltages that I don't know about, I think mine are default.

I have not changed any settings that are related to voltages from bios or anywhere else. I just bought the parts and assembled them. That's it. Unless the CPU comes with non-stock voltages that I don't know about, I think mine are default.
Irrelevant. Default voltage settings are 'AUTO'. If you increase anything related to clock speed, your voltages will automatically increase proportionately.

Irrelevant. Default voltage settings are 'AUTO'. If you increase anything related to clock speed, your voltages will automatically increase proportionately.

You are correct. However, I don't know what the stock numbers should be. I took screenshots of the Extreme Tweaker tab of BIOS, which I assume is the part where you change the voltage settings. Can you tell me which ones I should change from auto, and to what number exactly?

NMLrHCv.png

Hey , guys

actually i have had the same issue for months now , i changed my VGA card and still the same , my temps are great , i have Core i5 2400 and 600W PSU and 8gb of ram ,most of the time the pc freezes on idle , when i leave it for a while ..... every thing running stock no overclocking , INTEL motherboard ..... hope i find a soltution

I've had this issue with a failing PSU before. Didn't seem right to me, since it was fine at full system load (CPU+GPU stress tests running at the same time), but would lock up at idle, but swapped the PSU out and never had that issue again with that system.

I've had this issue with a failing PSU before. Didn't seem right to me, since it was fine at full system load (CPU+GPU stress tests running at the same time), but would lock up at idle, but swapped the PSU out and never had that issue again with that system.

Worth a try. You could get a relatively inexpensive PSU to test this and if it solves the problem then invest in a good one. If not, use it as a backup.

Some PSU are not able to handle the new standard of ultra low power states of the CPU, C6-C7-C8.

The thing is I've already replaced my PSU two times. They did not help. And I didn't buy the cheap stuff either, they were all Gold or higher. But the problem persists.

I'd disable the C-states in bios and see if that helps. My X99Giga board won't work well with them enabled so it's been that way since pretty much day 1.
BTW it's not the ASUS brand that's the problem. I have the M8Hero and it's working fine.

I'd disable the C-states in bios and see if that helps. My X99Giga board won't work well with them enabled so it's been that way since pretty much day 1.
BTW it's not the ASUS brand that's the problem. I have the M8Hero and it's working fine.

Good to know that the ASUS brand is not the issue. Because I actually really like this motherboard.

I've disabled the c-states now. And the bios update didn't help, it froze again after the update. Lets see if the c-states thing helps.

Meanwhile, any other suggestions? I'm running out of options.

check your ram. run 1 stick and see if it freezes.

windows logs will help narrow it down

check your ram. run 1 stick and see if it freezes.

windows logs will help narrow it down

I've tried memtest for 8 hours but there were no errors. When it freezes one more time (which will happen soon enough) I'll remove one stick and leave the other on.

Also, even viewer didn't have much or anything related to freeze. I can check that too one more time when it freezes. Also, as you can imagine, no dmp files due to freeze and no shutdown.

I've tried memtest for 8 hours but there were no errors. When it freezes one more time (which will happen soon enough) I'll remove one stick and leave the other on.

Also, even viewer didn't have much or anything related to freeze. I can check that too one more time when it freezes. Also, as you can imagine, no dmp files due to freeze and no shutdown.

Event viewer has no logs? Interesting. I've experienced hard crashing before as well, but I still got event logs.

Oh, just saw youre on an overclocked 3570k. Thats getting up there in age. Try manually raising your voltages with the same settings.

Event viewer has no logs? Interesting. I've experienced hard crashing before as well, but I still got event logs.

Perhaps I phrased it wrong. I meant there wasn't much wrong with the logs. Like mundane tasks and freeze. And I checked it three times and it was 3 random things, like some logs one time and other time something related to an application etc.

Also, there have been no freezes since the last "c-state disable" thing. So if this is the solution, I will buy Johan45 a nice, ice-cold beer. A big one.

Perhaps I phrased it wrong. I meant there wasn't much wrong with the logs. Like mundane tasks and freeze. And I checked it three times and it was 3 random things, like some logs one time and other time something related to an application etc.

Also, there have been no freezes since the last "c-state disable" thing. So if this is the solution, I will buy Johan45 a nice, ice-cold beer. A big one.

Oh awesome. We're kinda at the point where if that doesnt work, we're basically shotgunning in the dark. Hope it works! :)

Back