• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 780 Overclocking/Voltage control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Hey all

So being the impulse buyer that I am I went and blew a load of cash on a gtx 780 (gainward, wasn't too bothered about the make as they were all reference anyway and i was putting it under water.)

I fitted an xspc razer titan block + backplate and it is a beast of a block I must say. I managed to get a pretty much solid OC @ 1228mhz boost & 6600mhz effective memory , here is a screen from my heaven bench score with my memory clocked a little lower ( with the above settings its 62.9 fps, big diff aye? :p)

attachment.php

Anyhu as you can see from the screenshot I am only running at 42c under load, I have not seen it go over once. I whacked the voltage up to +35Mv (as high as it can go in evga precision )

Anyhu I have A LOT more headroom, considering the default throttle is 80c. So I just wanted to find out if anyone knows of a way to mess with the volts more without hardmodding it? I think I could easily get in the 1.3ghz range if I could tweak the volts some more. I know this probably isn’t possible, but just thought someone might have more knowledge on the subject than me.

Cheers

:thup:

Last edited:
dangnabit, almost feels a waste to have watercooling on it XD. Also that is an extreme mod! not sure my water block would fit on it then :p.

Think there are any smaller mods, like the one you could do on the 670/80 which allowed you to bump the volts more without the nuts mod there?

In this mod guide as far as I was aware you just had to cut VID6 to VCC and manually connect to GND ( VIA VID 7). That was my understanding anyhu. I am not versed in modding but I was told I could just do that with my 670 and it would allow over 1.21 voltage increases?

Hopefully the same thing is possible with the 780?

Last edited:
TBH, I don't know, sorry. Bobnova might be able to help out there. I can supply the high res photos if he can supply the knowledge. :)

Sorry yer as the mod linked above, hopefully it is possible ;) hopefully bob has a look! I wouldnt mind taking the soldering iron to a few bits as i am pretty sure my warranty is void when i took my cooler off, but the massive addition of the PCb is a bit much.

It's the Titan PCB, same voltmods are doable, same exploding MOSFETs will result.
Nvidia really skimped on the power section, knowing they could get away with it due to the hard limit on voltage.

dammit nvidia why you so cheap! its just i have so much headroom its like dangling a carrot infront of me for fun. ********.

Yikes. That is a severe mod. Why not just wire it up properly instead of those thick ugly strips of conductors. Eww.

The strips are proper. Much better than individual wires.
This is TiN we're talking about here :D

what is the voltage currently adjustable up to without the modded BIOS? It only says +35Mv currently, whats the top voltage within that range and how much more is 1.2125V than with the 780 BIOS?

Guessing this is a safe bios, dont wana brick my nice new card ;)

thanks for the link though

I was playing around yesterday and got mine to boost up to 1200MHz with 1.2v with the stock BIOS. However, only 1140MHz was stable for multiple Heaven runs. The modified BIOS does more than raise the Vcore ceiling, it also disables GPU Boost so the card either runs at its 2D clocks or its overclocked settings.

cool cool, you got a good guide for flashing the bios? Havent done it for a while and cant for the life of me remember how to do it.

also should i still use evga precision with the modded bios or afterburner?

I don't have a guide, but the post I linked to has about 15 pages of comments, and I think some of the guys talk about what you do in order to flash it. I think you use an older version of GPUZ (0.64) to save the stock BIOS, then NVFlash to flash the new BIOS. They were saying Afterburner or NVInspector are better than Precision for voltage monitoring.

Back