• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to overclock my intel E2200 to 3.2ghz. Advice needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToxicPhantom

Registered
Hello forum, I am a novice to overclocking, I have never overclocked before. I want to get all the performance I can get out of my cpu, looking online I found that people have overclocked this processor to 3.2ghz. I want to know how I can do it safely, and not damage any of my hardware.

Here is my computer model and specs.

HP Pavilion a6400f

Intel E2200 clocked at 2.20 ghz.

Motherboard Asus IPIBL-LB(Benicia)

3 gig of ram

Here is the HP specs website for my pc http://tinyurl.com/l5ugg44

I am using the stock cpu cooler, do I need to upgrade that first?

Let me know if this is a safe and practical idea. If so please give me detailed instructions, or point me to a tutorial on how to overclock it.

Thanks in advance.

Because it's an OEM PC (HP Pavilion), it can't be overclocked via the BIOS. Your only alternatives are either a pin / BSEL mod to 266 FSB, or software like ClockGen or SetFSB.

Is the stock cooling fan sufficient to cool the processor clocked at 3.2ghz?

BTW Why cant I overclock it using the bios? I am using a different OS than the one the pc came with if that matters.

Depends on the Vcc required for a 1.0GHz overclock, and because the BIOS doesn't contain any overclocking-related options. And the OS version doesn't matter.

Okay I am a total noob at overclocking. Could you explain all this tom me in more detail?

Exactly how to do the overclock and if my cooling fan and power supply can handle it. Look at the link the specs are there.

c02096815.jpg

This is your motherboard. Note the power delivery area around the CPU socket. This is not an overclocking board. Even if your bios had the options, I would not push an extra Ghz on to the cpu on this board.

How about seeing whether any of the three options I noted above will even allow you to overclock before worrying about the cooling, PSU, and how far you should clock it?

Back