• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your security set up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ask yourself this: Is there a theoretical possibility for anything unwanted to insert itself anywhere on your operating system partition?

If yes, then why not simply divide the drive into relatively small partitions, move your Desktop, Start Menu, Documents, and SendTo and maybe Favorites folder away from your OS partition. Never store any personal files on your OS partition. Then simply install Windows 7/8 on one [small] partition and Windows XP on another, then with one click, nuke Windows 7/8 from XP and vice versa. The entire partition can be reimaged in 2-3 minutes.

Is something taking 0.5 seconds instead of 0.1 seconds? Well, if you need to go on a short bathroom break, by the time you come back, the OS partition will be restored after whatever was causing any hick-ups was completely nuked. You don't even have to think about what it was, why it happened, or even IF it really happened.

By the time you're back, it's done. Fresh custom install with every setting set up just like you want it to be inside a custom image.

The beauty of it is that by simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS. Download Page: http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1 [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Tools > Options >
CHECK: Expert mode
CHECK: Remember the BCD Backup directory upon exit
UNCHECK: Everything else

Display Options TAB:
Default TAB at start up: Edit Boot Menu
CHECK: Everything else

Attachments

• EasyBCD.jpg
    EasyBCD.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Ok! Heres a tip for you, but nothing to do with security :) This is assuming you use Windows 7.

Create a new folder on your desktop and then name it:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
:shrug:

What is this? Why would I want to do whatever this is? An explanation of some kind would be nice... :thup:

:shrug:

What is this? Why would I want to do whatever this is? An explanation of some kind would be nice... :thup:

This is nothing malicious.After you create the folder it will make an icon called God Mode.Clicking on the god mode icon will bring up the dialog box.See attached.This is a small portion, you see in the screen shot.It makes it easier than using search function.It combines and separates alot of the functions on windows 7.

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Attachments

• God Mode.jpg
    God Mode.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 77
Ask yourself this: Is there a theoretical possibility for anything unwanted to insert itself anywhere on your operating system partition?

If yes, then why not simply divide the drive into relatively small partitions, move your Desktop, Start Menu, Documents, and SendTo and maybe Favorites folder away from your OS partition. Never store any personal files on your OS partition. Then simply install Windows 7/8 on one [small] partition and Windows XP on another, then with one click, nuke Windows 7/8 from XP and vice versa. The entire partition can be reimaged in 2-3 minutes.

Is something taking 0.5 seconds instead of 0.1 seconds? Well, if you need to go on a short bathroom break, by the time you come back, the OS partition will be restored after whatever was causing any hick-ups was completely nuked. You don't even have to think about what it was, why it happened, or even IF it really happened.

By the time you're back, it's done. Fresh custom install with every setting set up just like you want it to be inside a custom image.

The beauty of it is that by simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS. Download Page: http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1 [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Tools > Options >
CHECK: Expert mode
CHECK: Remember the BCD Backup directory upon exit
UNCHECK: Everything else

Display Options TAB:
Default TAB at start up: Edit Boot Menu
CHECK: Everything else

I am still looking into all the details for this idea.I saved your links.I have to admit.That is very handy, and looks easy to manage.

Wow that's a fancy setup.

I have started using what I think is a very odd setup. My main computer has enough ram to run windows off of a ramdrive.

I know I'd have to upgrade to either 32 or 64gb of memory to do this, but I'm considering it depending how much trouble the setup is. Can you explain how you setup the VM? How long does it take you to boot into it from power off?

I used windows 8 because they spent a bunch of time improving boot speeds. It takes about 4-5 seconds to boot. I removed the password requirement so that it boots to desktop and removed any services/software crap I could. Then I installed anything I knew I would use. I then saved that as a VHD for hyper-v.

I will mention the pain in the butt portion is applying updates which of course are crucial for keeping the evil out. I have to load the image, apply updates, then save the image. I just use hyper-v as it's built into windows 8. In previous iterations I did use vmware workstation.

Hey Guys my name is Mark.Well i use Norton 360 too and really like it.I also use Malwarebytes free edition to check out if I think i went to a incorrect website or something.
Thanks!!

Back