• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 970A-G46, Bios Crashing, Freezing & Failing to boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robwatling

Hi there, I have been trying to fix this computer at work for a while now, When I first built it I built two of them identical excluding the graphics cards one Nvidia and One MSI.

Now after a day and a half of use this desktop decided to power off completely without warning. I rebooted and kept working again it randomly powered off.
I checked the Windows Event Logs and it was suggesting a Kernel - Power Issue (41) I believe.

We ordered a new PSU in hope that this was the problem and it would appear to not be the PSU.

I now try to boot into BIOS using the Delete Key, Sometimes it wont even detect the keyboard and when I got into BIOS the mouse froze and then BIOS wouldn't react to anything.

I have pulled the CMOS battery and I am currently giving it 15 - 20 Minutes to reset, but can anyone else suggest anything I could try? I have disconnected the HDD to try and get into BIOS or to force boot from CD Drive but can't get into BIOS most times.

Thanks
Rob

Are you able to flash the bios to a different version ? Sounds like it may be corrupted or you may have a ram problem. I would pull a stick out of the working machine and try it in that one.
I also have to ask what processor you are trying to use? If you're usinf an FX we have had alot of issues show up here in the forum with the MSI boards. Especially if you're trying to use a 6 or 8 core on that board. That board just won't deliver the power you need.

Last edited:
Now after a day and a half of use = Generally it was sort of a rule of thumb that most electrical units will not work from the beginning or will work less than 3 days. That second setup seems right in that ballpark of failure. I expect that the motherboard is defective.
RGone...

Back