• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake p500 Pump - not working anymore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
+1
the TT LCS is mediocre... i bet the bottom ceramic bearing/washer gave out on that "piezo" pump
If you are on a budget, go back to air as suggested
If you have a somewhat bigger budget, go for an AIO like Swiftech 220, NZXT Kraken, Corsair H110 or H100
If you want to take the plunge into *real* WC, you'll need an unlimited budget :)

If you want to take the plunge into *real* WC, you'll need an unlimited budget :)

nah if you know what to look for, buy smart, and shop around, you can get custom for cheap. my whole setup i have maybe 100 bucks into. some bartering and shopping goes a long way. and my stuff isnt "low end" ek supremacy, swifty 655 pump, and micro res.

nah if you know what to look for, buy smart, and shop around, you can get custom for cheap. my whole setup i have maybe 100 bucks into. some bartering and shopping goes a long way. and my stuff isnt "low end" ek supremacy, swifty 655 pump, and micro res.

yeah, if easily satisfied :) However, a lot of people in WC tend to "tinker" all the time or go for that last half % lower temps or lower noise on that faster cpu/gpu, etc , etc , *tinker*, *tinker*, *tinker* crossing the borders between "yup ,thats it, done" to "well, its a hobby" to an outright obsession... and THEN it becomes expensive ;)

yeah, if easily satisfied :) However, a lot of people in WC tend to "tinker" all the time or go for that last half % lower temps or lower noise on that faster cpu/gpu, etc , etc , *tinker*, *tinker*, *tinker* crossing the borders between "yup ,thats it, done" to "well, its a hobby" to an outright obsession... and THEN it becomes expensive ;)

Been there, done that, and more to come. :rofl:

Its a really fun hobby just like RC controlled cars, helicopters (Have one and need to repair it lol) and drones. Its pricey but its a blast.

How to repair a stuck Tt P500 pump

I don't know if anybody is still following this thread. If you have a stuck P500, all is not lost, especially if you feel it vibrating under power -- which means that the driver circuit is probably still OK. I use the P500 myself and have encountered the same problem.

You have posted the photo of an opened P500. If you push the impeller, does it turn a few revolutions before coming to a stop? In my case, it did not. It stopped after maybe 1/2 revolution. This pump has a ceramic hub, and seems to be quite sensitive to any form of mineral buildup.

Once you have opened the pump as shown in your photo, look closely at the hub: there is a small plastic washer that is split. With two very small screwdrivers, you can lift it off -- be careful not to break it! After that you can extract the impeller/magnet unit.

Once you have access to the hub, check for any form of buildup: traces of copper or aluminum salts, or minerals from the water. Use a small blade to scrape it off. Then look inside the collar at the impeller unit. Same thing: check for any form of mineral deposits. The ceramic is quite robust, so you probably can't damage it with your screwdriver.

Once done, re-insert the impeller. Push the white fixation washer back in place. Try if the impeller now turns more freely. Power it up, check if it runs. Repeat cleaning if not.

I have done this twice since I got the pump in 2011, and it seems to work.

Good afternoon guys,

I was playing on my computer yesterday and suddenly a loud sound came from my motherboard or something which tells me if the computer is too hot. So as i heard the sound i shut down the computer and opened the case and checked whats wrong with the water cooling. I noticed that the pump wasnt pumping water anymore, which caused the computer to overheat. Then i unscrewed the pump and checked whats wrong inside, i turned the power on and as the pump started pumping it stopped after 1 turn. I did this a few times but it keeps stopping to turn after 1 turn.

I really want to get my pump working again because i need my computer for alot of school stuff.

The pump is called: Thermaltake P500 and is not being built anymore.

Regards

Yes, correct. TT have stopped producing the P500 pump. The good news is that after about 4 or 5 days of phone calls and numerous email messages I've been able to contact the RMA team at TT, and there is an upgraded pump, model is P501. Specs are identical to the P500 except it is not prone to impeller locking up. The P500 has been in my system for 4 years, and the impeller started locking up about 2 months ago, and finally seized permanently a couple of weeks ago. Price was direct from Thermaltake at AU$30 plus shipping.

Tt water cooling kits are no good??????
PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT..........
I have a big water 760 plus cooling my a6-6600K apu.......it cools almost as good as my zalman resirator!!!!!!

Tt water cooling kits are no good??????
PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT..........
I have a big water 760 plus cooling my a6-6600K apu.......it cools almost as good as my zalman resirator!!!!!!

Chill, TT make good gear, but everything wears out eventually. Some people have P500 pumps that have failed, and TT have discontinued that pump, but have replaced with a new pump P501 that is a direct replacement if your P500 fails. Relax, breathe easy.

TT custom parts are garbage imo unless its a AIO unit like the other rebranded ones. The kits have mixed metals and are prone to failing and not lasting.

TT custom parts are garbage imo unless its a AIO unit like the other rebranded ones. The kits have mixed metals and are prone to failing and not lasting.

Ok, I guess it could be as you say, however my experience is different. My TT P500 pump lasted 4 years in a very harsh service environment, and when it failed, the cost to replace the pump with an updated one (P501) was only AU$30. I'd call that a cheap repair.

I originally purchased a SR200 tower kit with the P500 pump and the pump lasted 4 years in a severe duty situation, as a cooling pump in my electric vehicle (www.evalbum.com/1991) and you can't get any more severe a service environment than a car. I'm not complaining that I have to put a measly $30 in it to replace a buggered pump after 4 years' service. I'd call that kind of service really good, but maybe you're right that some of the TT stuff does look really cheesy, and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

my bigwater 760+ uses the m500 pump, I think. It's quiet as a church mouse, the rad seems fine, the fan is a little loud, I think the water block is the very weakest link and I might try it with my xspc raystorm and find out some time.
the unit takes up a lot of space, but you assemble and leak test it out of the case and it slides in as a unit.

The problem with your Bigwater 760+ is the same as it is for most Bigwaters. It has almost no radiator capacity to actually dissipate heat and poor airflow design for the airflow and radiator capacity that it does have.

The problem with your Bigwater 760+ is the same as it is for most Bigwaters. It has almost no radiator capacity to actually dissipate heat and poor airflow design for the airflow and radiator capacity that it does have.

If you want something cheap as a backup, try this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111241824048?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT. Not great quality but is good to have on the shelf if something goes wrong, while you wait for replacement parts. You can keep your equipment online and the price is under $40 with free shipping.

Back