• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server 2008 R2 as a Workstation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Does anyone else do this?

I just made the transfer today from Windows 7 Pro 64-bit to Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit as my main OS with some help from this guide.

That will be quite interesting. I get genuine Server 2008 R2 and Server 2012 (Datacenter edition too) keys for free so it could be something to try. I wonder how it would do with gaming and GPU drivers though.

It runs just like Windows 7 so far. Already got Teamspeak/Ventrilo running and Steam going too.

The link I tossed in makes everything super easy to do.

Same drivers as Windows 7 64-bit for me, and should be for anyone else.

Initial impressions: System just seems overall faster. Its probably due to a lot less running on the machine.

I did for a couple years before just installing 2012 on my new office PC. Best of both worlds IMO for an IT workstation

I did for a couple years before just installing 2012 on my new office PC. Best of both worlds IMO for an IT workstation

I'm going to still be using it for a gaming/engineering/general usage machine, but there's so much stuff that Windows 7 loads that 08 R2 doesn't so its just quicker and a smaller install too.

You wont have any compatibility issues in the least, I have a VM with it running and I tested a lot of my software. It's very unlikely, anyways, you just have to pick like you said Windows 7 X64 drivers should you be asked from a vendor.

It is generally less bloaty, you can get Aero and all of the themes back too, just google it, it involves some tweaking.

Yeah, the link I posted has all of that.

Had an issue earlier with Games for Windows Live while trying to run Dirt3, but it ended up being a pending restart for .NET lol.

It's really what Windows should be, they ought to make a middle ground for workstations, gamers, power users, etc between "Consumer" (current Windows 7/8 versions) and Server (Server 2008 R2, Server 2012)

Simply combining the compatibility of consumer version with the seamless lack of bloat from the Server versions.

Or you know, they could just look at Windows XP as an example, rofl. Makes me wonder what Server 2003 ran like, probably 200MB RAM idling, lmfao.

What they should do is have two versions like they do now, consumer and server. But add in a "core" version of 7 that's massively stripped down.

This idea comes from the server core version that has no GUI.

Back