• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about getting an Alienware! :O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Normally I wouldnt, but my gf needs something to play The Sims on :blah:

I'd probably use it a bit too, have you seen the price of those mofos?? :D

This is probably the one Id get: http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-17/pd?oc=nam17x3_f_4e&model_id=alienware-17

Its got the 4ghz cpu, and a 780m, and some other stuff that makes me feel a bit ill at the thought of the price :cool:

These things just dropped 2 days ago, Ive been stareing at the dell site for a couple of weeks, pretty glad I didnt get the older model heheh, the prices are the same as before for the most part.

I figured Id just roll with the stock ram and storage options for now, and later grab a msata ssd and some low latency ram from newegg or something :attn:

I know its a laptop, but its overclocked! There is a 4.3ghz cpu too, but its a cool thousand bux.

Ive been close to pulling the trigger for days now, Im a bit scared of commitment for the asking price, but Ive been approved for financeing :D

Find a retail store that sells them, and get a clearance model.

Oh **** I didn't even think about the tax :eek:

They approved me for financing so I got hung up on what I wanted, not what I needed.. A laptop with the same power and speed as my desktop heheh.. I will have to talk to her a little more, maybe get something a bit cheaper.. (Like $1500 cheaper lol) I have no experience with laptops at all, except the junk ones she's had over the last couple of years.. :mad:

Being an owner of a second gaming laptop, I need to make sure you are aware of all the not cool things about the gaming laptops aside of the crazy prices. My first one was an asus g73jh, the video card got fried after warranty, it was a PITA to replace it so after replacing the chip, I sold it.

Now I have a samsung series 7 gaming. So far, so good, with a gtx675m as a gpu. I paid 6 months ago at tigerdirect 1800. Wife and son uses it. They play sims 3 with everything maxed out, no problem. Battlefield 3 runs very smooth too in ultra.

These guys get too hot, so I use a laptop cooler, I tried to use vsync all the time to minimize the heat, but still, I'm always afraid that they will burn. There's no space to dissipate the temperature of the high end components.

The monster you posted, is awesome, great features, but revisit your needs, because the resale value is very low. There's an asus model with a gtx 660m, I think it will cover your needs, $2000 less.

Anyways, if you get the alienware, make an un-boxing photo-log please!!!

EDIT: OR THIS!!! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231089

Again, find a retailer and get a clearance model Alienware on the cheap.

Thanks for posting you're experinces anhikilator, very much appreciated! I was going to get their laptop cooler too! But maybe we don't anything this crazy, but its in my head and I realllly want it, but I should be more sensible. ATM, I found a guy who sells refurbs, but his prices are out to lunch, with very minimal warranty

Well, based on my experience, I wouldn't buy refurb and the reason is that when I replaced the gpu on my Asus, there are a lot of things you have to remove while you open it and it won't be same when you put it back. They use a lot of double side tape to attach thin cables and a the keyboard protection. During the process, I broke a thin cable that connected the speakers. It wasn't a biggie cause you still can use the audio plug, but still...

I personally wouldn't buy a laptop that was opened by someone else.

Don't buy a gaming laptop. I had to stick to a (cheap) gaming laptop due to mobility issues (i.e. had to change continent three times and house five times in the last five years) and I think they are generally garbage.

Besides, to play The Sims (3) you don't need something exotic and I doubt your girlfriend will drool over that GTX 780m. My former (sort of) gf played it on an old laptop without particular problems.

Lol I know, I was going to use it too heheh.. but I think she might be into the baby 14 so that's ok. I still kind of want the big one for me tho lol. From what Ive read most people who own one love them, I am a picky mofo so if there was ever an issue their number would be on speed dial and they would definitely hear from me :beer:

I am trying to build my credit so I don't mind financing the machine, I was expecting a payment comparable to my cellphone bill wich is easily manageable :thup:

Also, if I were to go with the 17, I would definitely be getting the chillmat :attn:

Is this a gift for her or something you are buying for yourself that you will let her use? That is a lot a bread to drop on a dame... what happens if/when she bolts?

We have a kid together, and she's a good girl, wants to get married etc.. I thought it was something wed both use, but I was wrong its for her lol :D

Soo maybe the base model will be fine.. ;)

i had an alienware m17x-R2
had i7-940XM + 5870's in CF and 8GB of ram

cost almost $5000

3.5 years since, it's still running. though the GPU's were both replaced. (sold it to my best friend for $1500)

if you get an expensive laptop, get an expensive warranty.

the laptop itself was pretty nice when it was running right, but that thing had more driver **** ups then any computer i've ever used.

it was pretty good at gamining. scored 15k in Vantage. 5k in mark11

but the heat that thing put out was insane. 90*C was very common under heavy gaming.
that's with the laptop on a hard surface, raised off the ground and inch, in a 70*F room.

it was pretty good at gamining. scored 15k in Vantage. 5k in mark11

but the heat that thing put out was insane. 90*C was very common under heavy gaming.
that's with the laptop on a hard surface, raised off the ground and inch, in a 70*F room.

This.

Until they stop trying to cram every godly part into a small form factor without any regard for heat dissipation I am through with high-end laptops.

I plan to build an awesome desktop rig and then get an ultrabook when some come on the market that are actually streamlined and worth the price. I don't know why they shove a 200GB HDD in an ultrabook. Don't they know people have externals by now? Who NEEDS that much space mobile :screwy:

Yeam Im not too sure about dual cards in a laptop.. probably seemed like a good idea at the time! :D

If I stick with 1600x900 it doesnt look lke I need much to drive that, so I could probably save a few bucks there. She doesnt want the 14, she said its too small and I kind of agree.. Im looking at some of the "other" guys right now :thup:

Check out the Sager 15" lineup, there's a good bit of customizing you can do there.

No I haven't, I don't think SLi is a good idea In a laptop, that's why I was thinking the 780 is a good deal, because 2 770s are just a bit stronger, and some games still/could have issues later on down the line with SLi. And being stuck with a low end GPU instead of two doesn't sound like fun :D Also, I was going to finance this machine, but now I'm having second thoughts about that too :(

She wants to do it but I still have to pay half on the payments lol

Back