• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m5a97 r2.0 vs ga-970a-ds3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inwell

Registered
Asus m5a97 r2.0 Vs Gigabyte ga-970a-ds3

Hello,
Planning for a new pc with AMD AM3+ socket CPU (8core) 8150 or 8320. Will use 16GB or 32GB RAM mainly work will be on AUTOCAD and 3dsMax with rendering..
that means i m not in need of too many SATA ports or USB ports or special Audio/Video feature onboard.
Will be using single graphics card (no crossfire/sli).
I have shortlisted these two motherboards.
Please guide me with the best possible.
Main aspect i m looking is build quality and sturdiness of the mobo as this machine will be running more than 12hrs per day (sometimes 24x7)

best wishes

Asus m5a97 r2.0 Vs Gigabyte ga-970a-ds3 = NoT either of those boards is robust enough for an 8 core cpu. A close friend of mine in the forums here tried his 125W FX4170 4core on his M5A97 R2.0 and he said in total the board was not tough enough to supply a well regulated Vcore to even his 4 Core FX-4170 at 4.2ghz, so there is little to no doubt in my mind that neither of those boards will hold up well to the two 8 core cpu versions you mention. The DS3 is not the equal of the UD3 for pushing high current draw cpus and I have already said what I know from a friends personal experience with the M5A97 R2.0.
RGone...

If you're not planning on Overclocking the M5A 99FX pro is a decent board

For the budget build, GA-970A-UD3H is the cheapest you want for an 8 core FX.

GA-970A-UD3H = Don't see the H listed at Giga site. Only on an Intel mobo do I see the model name ending in H. The newer REV 3.0 UD3's have had no APM = Disable, so not real good. One of our own has found a Beta bios for the latest 970A-UD3 REV3.0 that seems to have that bios option. He has posted about it in the AMD CPU Forum Section.
RGone...

Sorry, typed the H out of habit from my board....

Its just the GA-970A-UD3

GA-970A-UD3H = Don't see the H listed at Giga site. Only on an Intel mobo do I see the model name ending in H. The newer REV 3.0 UD3's have had no APM = Disable, so not real good. One of our own has found a Beta bios for the latest 970A-UD3 REV3.0 that seems to have that bios option. He has posted about it in the AMD CPU Forum Section.
RGone...

tungureanu has found a beta bios that apparently will allow for this now. He has a thread going in the CPU section

I have my 8350 rig hammering away at some 'light' computational fluid dynamics the last week or so in the air conditioned storage room running 24/7 at 4.9. I don't know how hot the rig is but with the super nova rad and 18 monster fans in the storage room all i can say is I'm glad it's in the crosshair as i doubt anything less would hold the magic smoke in. it's a lot of heat comming out of the rad and the air comming out of the case is very hot to.

the 4170 on the m5a97 R2.0 was no less than a disaster, thats a phenom board.

Back