• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bug In Intel H87 Chipset Allows Ratio-Based Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

H87 can oc via ratio!

Pretty sweet bios bug lets you oc with these cheep boards...I may score one and a 4770k soon :D

z87-express-overclocking-bug,8-F-390399-22.png

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/h87-express-overclocking-bug,23273.html

Cool!

You think its a good idea to overclock on a board not made for it? Less power phases, voltage controls. Not sure this really benefits much consider bclk/strap abilities of locked chips.

Also, the locking of the multi, I thought, was in the cpu??

Nope, doesn't seem like it...and you can touch bclk there I believe...I'm giving it a shot.

Interesting. According to the article is works on this Motherboard:

ASRock Fatal1ty H87 - $105.

While MSI Z87-G43 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 - $120

and you need a 4770K (while the article does state) that it doesn't know if it will work with a 4670K or not.:shrug:

Intruging? Yes! Penny wise and pound foolish? - you betcha!

Nice find:thup:

And likewise, a pricier board with dual BIOS would solve the BIOS update problem but then you're back to not having a cheaper board, just a cheaper CPU.

I'm getting an h87 board...can't afford more than that atm but can't keep using a pentium d without loosing my mind any longer. Got a 7970 that does 1300/1940 and can't bench it and 2600mhz capable psc ram.

Yup, it sure does...It's a feature, not a bug, Asrock says so at least, and there are other boards coming with it.
I hope Gigabyte hops into this as well, and maybe Asus. :D

Back