• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Marathon: Competition Feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The competition was great!

As far as the speed cap suggestion, I kinda like the idea, but then I'm not to pleased about it as my tweaking ability is limited outside of pushing high volts and clocks... lol

Thanks BMWBaxter for putting this together. It is quite a bit of work sometimes, keeping things updated and maintained. I am sure that everyone appreciates your effort and time that you donated.

Thanks BMWBaxter for putting this together. It is quite a bit of work sometimes, keeping things updated and maintained. I am sure that everyone appreciates your effort and time that you donated.

Glad it was so well received and participated in.

Also glad it got some people back into and more into benching.

Once I get the automated form and spread sheet ironed out it will makes thing so much easier.

Plus, less mistakes will be made on the data collection end.

Regardless of whether it's a speed cap across the board or one speed cap for AMD and one for Intel there is going to be a Chip To Have.

Example:
With a 4.5GHz cap, if you don't have Haswell you're going to be behind all but the worst tweaked slowest RAM Haswells.
With a 4GHz cap, PhII will clean up the SPI type rankings and destroy BD/PD horrendously.

I've found that fixed clock challenges are generally liked by people that know tweaks, and ignored by those who don't. It's even more depressing to the people that don't have the Good Knowledge than having a 7970 and looking at Titan results.

I don't like fixed clock stuff much, personally. While it will require a 4770k rather than a Titan and LN2, it's still 4770k or forget it.

True.

Though more people have a 4770k or a PHII than have access and are willing to do extreme for not bot comps, or extreme period. What were there, 5 people that ran sub ambient versus the 30 that participated?

i had a blast. it got me in to benching and pushing my hardware hard. then into sub-zero lol fun. but i like the 2d over the 3d because i dont have 1k for a titan and my wife would never let me buy one lol. i will run in the next comp also just for fun. O and still waiting for my bench team banner.

Personally I liked the competition the way it was set up. I knew that the chances of me winning any of the competitions was slim because I haven't yet experimented with sub ambient, nor have the top of the line hardware. With that said it was still fun competing against other similar setups and pushing my hardware to the limit of my abilities. Sitting in my office with winter clothes on, the windows open, a fan blowing in one of them when it was 8 F out was classic, during the first Cinebench comp. I also received a lot of help from people which made it more fun. Overall I feel it was a success from where I stand, it made me want to get better at benching and I joined the team.

I've had a blast the months that I've been able to throw my hat into the mix= have to start out by saying two huge thanks. First for the time and effort put into organizing the event, and second for the competition and good sportsmanship of all the other OC'ers who participate.

There is one issue that I'd like to see somehow addressed, although I admit there doesn't seem to be an obvious solution. With the 2D benches, dividing AMD/Intel almost serves as a natural way to have a split between "affordable" and "high-end" entries. A $150 board and $175 CPU will cover your entry fee for AMD, so really anyone can have a shot, and that's great. The 3D event is really a different story however. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion someone with $500-$1000 card(s) will win both the single and multiple divisions. In the end, the guys running on <$750 rigs with AMD and the guys with the top-shelf stuff all get jumbled together fighting for both divisions in the 3D. Maybe this is a general critique of the whole hobby and not really anything to remedy here and now, but it is more fun when most members can join in without feeling like they've lost before even trying.

The problem then becomes how to divide it up? If you limit the gpu to say 660/7870 level, some may not have those cards.

If you divide up by card or family I don't think we have enough people competing to have that work out.

Its a tough situation to divide things up, period. Some group,, or someone always gets the short end. :(

Just seen this thread:-/ and thought I would say thanks Ben for the effort in compiling and running these monthly comps, there definately a whole lot of fun to compete in (or not to), which brings me to my only one issue, and that's with 3D period, it is a area which can't be run fairly amongst all participants due to the nature of the variety of cards available, and the winner/s of said comp are almost finalised within a few days of the comp starting, discouraging others from putting in the effort to compete, I know its not about the winning but everybody wants to compete in the end, and if the top guys are so far out of reach, its just not worth the effort to try and max out your clocks, other than that I loved them :D

I could run 4 groups in 3d

amd/single
amd/multi
intel/single
intel/multi

I think this could help address the issue, but some months only like 10 people compete which isn't enough for that many groups.

I was also thinking of having a weighted point system, where depending on who close you place to the average determines your points. since it will hopefully be automated submissions and chartings I don't think this will be too bad of an idea.

Thoughts on this idea?

I think any idea to try and even out the 3D is a good idea (I don't envy this job) the same thing will crop up over and over again though, wether said guy is running amd or intel, if he has a high end gpu chances are he is going to walk it, its a killer platform to try and make fair across the board.

Submission form

I am testing a form and scoring for 3d becnhing.

could you please add 2 submissions each.

with your "username" and the second with your "username1"

one in "intel" and one in "amd"

any gpu

anycooling

scores anywhere between 100-500

also anyone know how to embed like in the haswell results thread?

thanks

I will see if I can find a way to do it. I am sure it can be done, but not sure how or if google docs does.

Back