• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Dual boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idkfa

Hey,

I have an SSD with my primary OS Win 7 and two HHDs in PC. I made a 100GB Partition on one of that HDDs, and would like to install a 2nd copy of Win 7 there for benching purposes. Is there anything I have to regard? Do I have to unplug the SSD during install to prevent damage to the bootsector or something like that? Best regards

Chuck

You can unplug the boot drive to install Winders on another drive. You could also change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make your bootable USB or your DVD the 1st boot device and go from there.

Instead of having a dual boot system I prefer to boot into the appropriate HDD via BIOS. Or, press F11 when the computer is started to allow you to choose the HDD you want to boot into.

Just install Win 7 with the bootable install disk and choose the HDD (and partition) you want to install Win 7 on.

Thank you both!

Instead of having a dual boot system I prefer to boot into the appropriate HDD via BIOS. Or, press F11 when the computer is started to allow you to choose the HDD you want to boot into.
This is what I intended, dual boot was maybe a misleading term. This would be the best option since I'd only need the 2nd OS occasionally.
Just install Win 7 with the bootable install disk and choose the HDD (and partition) you want to install Win 7 on.
A friend mentioned it would detect the other OS and auto configure a Dual Boot, he wasn't sure about this so I liked to ask. I think I'll just unplug the SSD to be safe.

Thanks again!

Yeah, windows 7 sometimes gets the dualboot right, but other times it screws up the partitions(i have been a victim of windows dualboot failure) I always suggest separate hard drives for installs, and leave one unplugged when using the other.

leave one unplugged when using the other.
This should be safest possible play, but do you really it would be neccessary? I mean, it's some kind of trouble to start a short benching session ;)

. . and leave one unplugged when using the other.

I mean, it's some kind of trouble to start a short benching session ;)

I have 2 rigs at home, each with an SSD and 2 OSes. No matter which rig, I never unplug one HDD/SSD to use the other and I have never met with a problem all these years. In fact, I don't even unplug either when installing the OSes. But of course, what is suggested is good practice.

Back