• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4770K stuck at 800Mhz ?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rooster790

Hi - I've got a really odd problem with my new setup and im hoping you guys can help me out.

I thought I knew plenty about PC hardware but this is baffling me. I've just upgraded from my ageing core2duo to a 4770k running in a Gigabyte GA-z87x-oc. For some reason the chip seems to be stuck at 800Mhz?? Ive tried default Bios settings as well as upping various settings but nothing seems to make a difference. It's as though the turbo isn't kicking in or something even when running a game or Prime95 - could it be a faulty part?

Here's what CPU-Z has to say

Capture_zpsc275c27c.png

Windows 8's task manger shows it at 20% when prime95 is running but Im guessing it just calculates it against the expected speed.

Does anyone have any ideas? My new rig is slower than my old one!

If that is real then I would look to see if there is a new BIOS update. Download Aida64 to make sure it's real though just to get a 2nd opinion.

If that is real then I would look to see if there is a new BIOS update. Download Aida64 to make sure it's real though just to get a 2nd opinion.

I believe it's real, games are running dog slow and are taking nd age to start, Aida64s report gave me this:

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer Intel
Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Asset Tag Fill By OEM
Part Number Fill By OEM
External Clock 100 MHz
Maximum Clock 7000 MHz
Current Clock 800 MHz
Type Central Processor
Voltage 1.1 V
Status Enabled
Socket Designation SOCKET 0
HTT / CMP Units 0 / 4
Capabilities 64-bit

Try disabling C-states and Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS?

I did think of that but there doesn't look to be anything in there called speedstep??? the Turbo features are there (and enabled) but nothing about lowering the clock.

This being my first chip that uses Turbo, is it normal to see it idle at that sort of speed? Or is something very wrong?

If it's not going up during Prime95, something is wrong. Speedstep should definitely be in the BIOS somewhere, that's the feature that downclocks your CPU when it's idle.

They moved a few things around in the bios on the latest Gigabyte boards threw me for a loop the first time I saw one. You should be able to find the C-State settings under "Advanced CPU Core Features" under the performance > frequency tabs. When you disable all the C-States your CPU should be locked at its stock frequency of 3.5Ghz.

GA-Z87X-OC.jpg

Windows power state locked at lower than 100% ?

Screen saver / power management / something like "advance settings"
Then you should be able to change de % of power windows ask to the CPU. Min/MAX.

Thanks they all match my settings except ive disabled all of the cstate options but nothing is having an effect it still refuses to go above 800 - could it be os related? First install of win 8... grasping at straws I know but I'm really stumped

Windows power state locked at lower than 100% ?

Screen saver / power management / something like "advance settings"
Then you should be able to change de % of power windows ask to the CPU. Min/MAX.

Thanks but I checked that too min and max are both set to 100%

Just another wild guess - I'm only using the 4 pin power connector on the board, should I be using the 8? Would that even matter??

Just another wild guess - I'm only using the 4 pin power connector on the board, should I be using the 8? Would that even matter??

Look the manual, it could be writen where to plug if you only use a 4 pin. I personnaly use a 8pin on my z87x-oc, i left the 4 pin unplugged.

The 8 pin is the primary power source there I believe. Try that and see if it changes anything.

Thanks for the suggestions guys but still no change, EIST disabled and using the 8 pin connector now. So weird. Do you think it's RMA time?

Rooster790 maybe this will help you with your Problem, i found this on the Net today!! It say's there is a switch in the Bios which is set by the Factory. This OC TRIGGER SWITCH or (TGR) is set at no 2 which Switches off all the Bios Commands and runs your CPU @ 800MHZ! To change this all you need to do is set it to NO 1 Position then the Bios will work as normal and you can Overclock your set up, Best Regards AJ. ;) :thup:

1, So after many hours or playing around and tweaking i finally decided to read the manual for my motherboard and found there is an OC Trigger Switch (TGR) this was set to 2 from factory when it needed to be set to 1.

In position 2 the processor ignores all bios settings and runs using the lowest core multiplier possible which in the case of the Haswell 4770k is 8 which resulted in my core speed of 800mhz.

In position 1 the processor functions according to the settings in the BIOS.

TL:DR: Anyone who buys a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Motherboard make sure you check the TGR switch is set to setting 1. Mine was set to setting 2 from factory. :attn: :salute:

Rooster790 maybe this will help you with your Problem, i found this on the Net today!! It say's there is a switch in the Bios which is set by the Factory. This OC TRIGGER SWITCH or (TGR) is set at no 2 which Switches off all the Bios Commands and runs your CPU @ 800MHZ! To change this all you need to do is set it to NO 1 Position then the Bios will work as normal and you can Overclock your set up, Best Regards AJ. ;) :thup:

1, So after many hours or playing around and tweaking i finally decided to read the manual for my motherboard and found there is an OC Trigger Switch (TGR) this was set to 2 from factory when it needed to be set to 1.

In position 2 the processor ignores all bios settings and runs using the lowest core multiplier possible which in the case of the Haswell 4770k is 8 which resulted in my core speed of 800mhz.

In position 1 the processor functions according to the settings in the BIOS.

TL:DR: Anyone who buys a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Motherboard make sure you check the TGR switch is set to setting 1. Mine was set to setting 2 from factory. :attn: :salute:

Ajay, I think I'm actually in love with you...

That's sorted it :clap::clap::clap: If I could buy you alcohol I would

Guess this is a classic case of RTFM

Thanks very much everyone for the help. Off to play with my new toy :bday:

Ajay, you bought a Z87 board and CPU? Nice!!!

EDIT: Forget it, that was an unquoted quote.. gotcha!

Back