• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reinstalling 7 - Will I lose stuff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

I'm going to be getting a new motherboard and cpu, so I'm pretty much definitely going to have to reinstall windows 7. When I do, will I lose everything in my user account?

maybe
you can do a repair install which only installs windows
what you do is upgrade your win7 to win7 (I know odd)
this would be like upgrading from vista to win 7
I have tried it once and all programs worked fine

so try a repair install IE put your 7 CD in and upgrade it

Why do you need to reinstall Windows with a new cpu and mobo? I've done countless upgrades without issues using the same installation but new parts. Just try and delete the specific drivers for your old hardware prior to the swap.

Why do you need to reinstall Windows with a new cpu and mobo? I've done countless upgrades without issues using the same installation but new parts. Just try and delete the specific drivers for your old hardware prior to the swap.

windows key or the star of microsoft would prefer if he reinstalled, de-registered key, and then use the same key he had on the new build.

If you're going from Intel to Intel that should work, but switching between AMD and Intel could be a bit tricky.

Another option is using Sysprep.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

Best of luck!

Just make sure to backup all your important stuff first, just in case.

For the record, I moved from a Phenom II 555 paired with a GA-MA790FXT-UD5P to a 2600k paired with a P8P67 Deluxe (Socket AM3 to socket 1155) on the same OS. Best of luck, hopefully everything works out well!

You can use Windows Easy Transfer Wizard. It will transfer your user account and everything from your "Libraries" (music, docs, videos, pics.)

You can use Windows Easy Transfer Wizard. It will transfer your user account and everything from your "Libraries" (music, docs, videos, pics.)

I'll definitely have to try this.

I ended up getting an error with sysprep (tried the safe mode trick too, no dice), so I had to install windows anew. Luckily, they did preserve my old account files and installed programs in the windows.old directory. If I knew that would happen, I wouldn't have spent so much time backing up. Oh well - fresh windows install!

Back