• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Koolance is releasing a chiller. Discuss?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting, useful for people who want sub-ambient 24/7 on CPU and GPU.
That's about it though.

but if you order 10+ they are only 1231.99!!! great deal!!! lol!!!

The only reason I'd ever get something like this is it's simple. And move all the heat from the main PC parts to another room and have great cooling.

Yea it's pricey for sure. We should try to get one to review.............

That could be a really good idea for a Hot and humid country, where you have no Air Con to use. You could hook up you water system to it and Cons your Uncle as they say!! AJ. ;) :thup:

So, if I'm understanding correctly, this is long-term extreme cooling?

Fascinating.

In a way yes, I would think of it as a modification to a water loop as opposed to using a single stage phase change setup (which would actually cost less and likely give lower temps). The issue you will have (in any sub-ambient circumstance) will be condensation.

That is quite expensive for what is basically a glorified refrigerator. I wonder how much noise it puts out though... might be quiet, would be its only advantage.

What I think would really be awesome is just cutting a hole in the side of your case and putting a window AC blowing into it, maybe not directly because of the condesnation but with some type of tubing... Would cost a lot less than this...

the main difference between this & most aquarium chillers is that you can lock in your target temp to ambient temp (eg 2 below ambient) which goes a long way into NOT running into dewpoint issues :)

But is that worth double the price of a "normal" aquarium cooler?

For that money you can probably rig up an Aquaero with a relay & humidity sensor to switch of the aquariumcooler when dewpoint is close. Possibly even completely custom build, if not available off the shelf

What I think would really be awesome is just cutting a hole in the side of your case and putting a window AC blowing into it, maybe not directly because of the condesnation but with some type of tubing... Would cost a lot less than this...

Physics 101: (normally) Condensation occurs when moist warm air hits a cold (dry) surface.

Unless you've got a crappy AC, the air blown is cold & dry. As long as you do not have other air intakes on your PC you are fine. It hase been done before.
Worst case scenario is condensation occuring on the OUTSIDE of your case.

edit: not true, the WORST case scenario is the air blown into your case being so dry that it builds up static charge on your components/case :)

PS: Window ACs are not really portable are they? :)

Last edited:
Physics 101: (normally) Condensation occurs when moist warm air hits a cold (dry) surface.

Unless you've got a crappy AC, the air blown is cold & dry. As long as you do not have other air intakes on your PC you are fine. It hase been done before.
Worst case scenario is condensation occuring on the OUTSIDE of your case.

edit: not true, the WORST case scenario is the air blown into your case being so dry that it builds up static charge on your components/case

PS: Window ACs are not really portable are they?

So you'd set all other case fans to exhaust?

Good to know lol

So you'd set all other case fans to exhaust?

Good to know lol

Yep. I used Canadian winter air in the same fashion for a competition a few years back. No condensation at all during benching, only when I turned off the contraption and warm air from the house got in contact with the sub-zero-air-cooled parts. But then it wasn't much really.

the main difference between this & most aquarium chillers is that you can lock in your target temp to ambient temp (eg 2 below ambient) which goes a long way into NOT running into dewpoint issues :)

But is that worth double the price of a "normal" aquarium cooler?

That was my point. Anyone that is going to do this probably has the requisite skills to make it work. It really boils down to replacing the thermostat.

For that money you can probably rig up an Aquaero with a relay & humidity sensor to switch of the aquariumcooler when dewpoint is close. Possibly even completely custom build, if not available off the shelf

Exactly!

Back